Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:01 AM

66 posts, read 77,300 times

Advertisements

We're looking at relocating to Austin for a job and looking at renting for the first 9-12 months.

The northern subrubs of Cedar Park/Anderson-Mill seem to work well for us based on proximity to my spouse's job. I unfortunately will have to commute to downtown for work, based on our reading the rush hour traffic is a nightmare to/from downtown. But Google maps suggest a sub 30min commute in non rush hour traffic. Is that accurate?

If I drove into down town at 6.30-7AM and left outside of the 4.30-6.30PM window, would the commute be ~30 mins one way or is that too optimistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Traffic usually picks up anywhere from 6-6:30am and then starts again at about 3:30pm. It might be doable but you'd still be sitting for a bit. It can be heavy even during non-peak hours. I'll have to drive from southwest Austin to East Austin every now and then and still add in an extra 30 minutes to account for traffic. Granted, that's not the same area you are going/coming from, but with the construction on 35/183 it could be a similar situation as the construction on 35 between William Cannon and 290 west.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Traffic usually picks up anywhere from 6-6:30am and then starts again at about 3:30pm. It might be doable but you'd still be sitting for a bit. It can be heavy even during non-peak hours.
Thank you for the info, though that wasn't what I was hoping to hear. Was hoping that 6.30AM would help me avoid traffic.
Might have to revisit where we want to rent

Old 11-29-2018, 12:59 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeCatcher View Post
We're looking at relocating to Austin for a job and looking at renting for the first 9-12 months.

The northern subrubs of Cedar Park/Anderson-Mill seem to work well for us based on proximity to my spouse's job. I unfortunately will have to commute to downtown for work, based on our reading the rush hour traffic is a nightmare to/from downtown. But Google maps suggest a sub 30min commute in non rush hour traffic. Is that accurate?

If I drove into down town at 6.30-7AM and left outside of the 4.30-6.30PM window, would the commute be ~30 mins one way or is that too optimistic?

4:30-6:30 is already heavy in the afternoon, I would estimate it is a 1 hour commute

6:30am, and 30 minutes sounds doable. But by 7:00 it will already start betting busy

I personally would look to stay off 183 these days and stick to areas where you can get on the mopac express lane (north of parmer or just north of far west).

There is reasonably inexpensive housing around parmer/mopac or along duval between 183 and mopac.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:29 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Why drive at all. You can catch the train or bus at lakeline. The transit system ain’t the best but it’s what we’ve got

Old 11-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Why drive at all. You can catch the train or bus at lakeline. The transit system ain’t the best but it’s what we’ve got
We are considering it. It looks like a monthly pass is $100, so more expensive than gas and the train takes 50mins one way. The buses do seem more promising in that at least its faster ~30mins looks like.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
4:30-6:30 is already heavy in the afternoon, I would estimate it is a 1 hour commute

6:30am, and 30 minutes sounds doable. But by 7:00 it will already start betting busy

I personally would look to stay off 183 these days and stick to areas where you can get on the mopac express lane (north of parmer or just north of far west).

There is reasonably inexpensive housing around parmer/mopac or along duval between 183 and mopac.
Thank you, will look at those areas a little more closely.
I should have been clearer, what I meant is drive around 6.30AM and drive back north before 4.30 (so like at 4PM)

Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
I’ve been doing basically that commute at those times for about 5 years now. 6:30am really is the magic time. Leave before 6:30, and you can normally get downtown in less than 35 minutes. Leave after 6:30am and it will probably be more like 45. Late May to late August is when traffic is great in the mornings and 35 minutes can happen even if you leave at 6:45am because schools (including UT) don’t have full class schedules.

The afternoon is much tougher. Leaving at 4pm will probably be more like a 45 minute drive, but traffic is much heavier at 4pm than it is at 6:30am. Of course an accident or stalled vehicle could add 10 to 20 minutes at any time. If you leave a little later in the morning and a little later in the afternoon then an hour or more each way is more likely.

Friday mornings are almost always much lighter and Friday afternoons a bit heavier.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:24 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeCatcher View Post
Thank you, will look at those areas a little more closely.
I should have been clearer, what I meant is drive around 6.30AM and drive back north before 4.30 (so like at 4PM)
I drive all over the city at all hours. 6:30AM is indeed a good time to come in from up north, no later, but even that early is starting to thicken.

5 years ago I drove into downtown from SW Austin at 5:00AM for running club ever Wednesday morning, and hardly any traffic at all. A few months ago same thing for some spin classes and couldn't believe how many cars are on the road now between 5-5:30AM. Unbelievable. It moves, but wow.

I don't go north after 3PM because I have to come back SW eventually, where I live.

Leaving downtown even at 4PM will be a crap shoot going north. If you hit the toll road coming off W 1st street (unnecessarily renamed to Cesar Chavez now) it's not as bad once you get past Windsor, but I've seen the toll price up around $6 and higher just for the Far West leg. That can add up if you did it daily.

It's sad that Austin didn't plan better for this. I feel for people coming here and trying to sort out the best place to live with two commuters. Welcome to Austin!!

Old 12-05-2018, 09:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I drive all over the city at all hours. 6:30AM is indeed a good time to come in from up north, no later, but even that early is starting to thicken.

5 years ago I drove into downtown from SW Austin at 5:00AM for running club ever Wednesday morning, and hardly any traffic at all. A few months ago same thing for some spin classes and couldn't believe how many cars are on the road now between 5-5:30AM. Unbelievable. It moves, but wow.

I don't go north after 3PM because I have to come back SW eventually, where I live.

Leaving downtown even at 4PM will be a crap shoot going north. If you hit the toll road coming off W 1st street (unnecessarily renamed to Cesar Chavez now) it's not as bad once you get past Windsor, but I've seen the toll price up around $6 and higher just for the Far West leg. That can add up if you did it daily.

It's sad that Austin didn't plan better for this. I feel for people coming here and trying to sort out the best place to live with two commuters. Welcome to Austin!!

OMG! Steve! Pull it together man! It was madness when we had S. First Street running N/S but only south of the river AND First Street just north of the river running east and west renaming it Cesar Chavez was a HUGE improvement (and happened 20+ years ago). What ever happened to that ever optimist, former San Diego boy, who knew everything about Austin real estate and was a purveyor of clear-eyed advice to everyone! Suddenly, you are the grumpy old man yelling "get off my lawn!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin