Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:40 PM

5,007 posts, read 5,646,034 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be in Austin from Friday 3/22 to Monday 3/25. Partly will be there for family time, but should have some independent exploration time.

That said, some questions.

1 Texas Football. They should be in practice by then for spring, I'm assuming? Have they announced the date of the Spring Game yet? Are practices usually open to the public? Getting to see inside DKR would be neat, even if not for an official game.

2. Best hiking options? The ones you'd take people to if they were in Austin, top of the line, nice. So, I've done my research, and I've heard of a few (Lady Bird Lake Waterfront, Barton Springs and Greenway, Mount Bonnell, Lake Travis, and further out stuff throughout Hill Country), that said, I'm open to other lesser known ones across the area if they are just as nice, too. FWIW, we are staying somewhat west of the Domain yet south of Lakeline Mall, so in Austin, but not it's heart.

3. I understand SXSW is around this time. Is any of that free/open to the public? I'd be open to partaking in some festivities involving it.

4. Any other stuff to enjoy in and throughout the Austin region during this time frame? We do not have a ton of time, but I would at least like to do a number cool things throughout the region and give myself a really good tour of downtown. FWIW, when I travel, I like to:
-Check out history and architecture of area (I am very much into urban planning and design, learning more)
-Check out parks in the area, both urban, and more regional reflecting the ecology of the area
-Check out things that are truly unique to the region (companies based there, "Only in this Place" sights
-Food and Drink of the local area
...and really anything else that is entertaining, interesting or unique to be had.

Looking forward to getting some feedback and suggestions! Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 02:48 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,866,223 times
1. Donno, they announce the game at the last minute.
2. Enchanted Rock is the best hike
3. SxSW will be over then.
4. Get some BBQ & TexMex for sure. Maybe check out the Capital and the Bob Bullock Museum if you're interested in history.

Last edited by cBach; 01-02-2019 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 03:08 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,083,292 times
Last year the Orange and White game was on April 21st and the game was announced on April 5th. It is very unlikely to fall on the weekend you are here. It is also UT Spring Break (March 18-23).

There are fewer free SXSW events every year which is a shame. But it will be over by the time you arrive. SXSW 2019 is March 8-17.

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2019

Old 01-02-2019, 04:33 PM

9,847 posts, read 13,670,055 times
The biggest issue I see with your schedule is that you will be here during most schools’ spring break. In addition to UT, Austin ISD is also off. Things will be crowded. I’m struggling to figure out what people (not just the OP) mean by “hike.” Do you mean go for a walk in nature or do you mean go for a walk and trek through stuff to see a great view? There are both in the area. Mount Bonnell, McKinney Falls state park, a good “walk” hike on the trail around town lake. A day trip to ink’s lake or any of the other nearby state parks are a good option for hiking. Other water activities, depending on how warm it is, like stand up paddle boarding or kayaking are also options, but again, it will be crowded.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:53 PM

283 posts, read 254,477 times
My two cents:

1. Practices are not usually open. They used to be, but when the internet came along people started "covering" them and posting what plays and formations were practiced that day, and for obvious reasons the coaches had a problem with that. Occasionally they'll open one up but I don't recall if they announce it ahead of time or if it's a day by day thing.

I assume there are tours of DKR but I've never looked into that. fyi, the football team doesn't actually practice there, they have a separate facility a couple of blocks north.

2. I'm not really a hiker, but the places you've listed are pretty much what I'd come up with. Enchanted Rock is very unique but it's nearly a two hour drive. Doesn't sound like you'll have that kind of time but if you do go, there is a lot of stuff to see and do along the way - wineries, Luckenbach, early wildflower season. Too early for peaches, though.

3. I avoid SXSW like the plague. Can't help you there.

4. For history and architecture, it doesn't get much better than the state capitol. For parks reflecting the ecology of the area, it doesn't get much better than Barton Springs/Zilker. Both also check the "truly unique" box.

Food is BBQ - look up Franklin and stress over whether to commit to the line. It's worth it, once anyway, if you have the time but there are others equally good or at least very close. Salt Lick has great atmosphere but their bbq can be inconsistent. You a Mcconaughey fan? Top Notch is still open (famous burger drive-in scene from Dazed and Confused). The brewery scene has really taken off lately if you're into that. I'd recommend Live Oak (they're one of the oldest and kind of iconic), Hi-Sign, Zilker, maybe Jester King if you want to take a drive.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,352,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Hello all,

I will be in Austin from Friday 3/22 to Monday 3/25. Partly will be there for family time, but should have some independent exploration time.

That said, some questions.

1 Texas Football. They should be in practice by then for spring, I'm assuming? Have they announced the date of the Spring Game yet? Are practices usually open to the public? Getting to see inside DKR would be neat, even if not for an official game.

2. Best hiking options? The ones you'd take people to if they were in Austin, top of the line, nice. So, I've done my research, and I've heard of a few (Lady Bird Lake Waterfront, Barton Springs and Greenway, Mount Bonnell, Lake Travis, and further out stuff throughout Hill Country), that said, I'm open to other lesser known ones across the area if they are just as nice, too. FWIW, we are staying somewhat west of the Domain yet south of Lakeline Mall, so in Austin, but not it's heart.

3. I understand SXSW is around this time. Is any of that free/open to the public? I'd be open to partaking in some festivities involving it.

4. Any other stuff to enjoy in and throughout the Austin region during this time frame? We do not have a ton of time, but I would at least like to do a number cool things throughout the region and give myself a really good tour of downtown. FWIW, when I travel, I like to:
-Check out history and architecture of area (I am very much into urban planning and design, learning more)
-Check out parks in the area, both urban, and more regional reflecting the ecology of the area
-Check out things that are truly unique to the region (companies based there, "Only in this Place" sights
-Food and Drink of the local area
...and really anything else that is entertaining, interesting or unique to be had.

Looking forward to getting some feedback and suggestions! Thanks guys!

Enchanted Rock is great but a drive away. There's also Good Water Trail in Georgetown, which not many people seem to know about but which my husband tells me is a nice trail for hiking. (28 miles long but you don't have to do the whole thing.) While in Georgetown you could try Inner Space Caverns (caverns discovered when I35 was being built), or go to the new 525 acre Garey Park. There's also some historical things including architecture in Georgetown and Salado just to the north.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 5,646,034 times
ashbeeigh: I will just try to go around places that aren't overly so. Honestly, I just want to get a general feel for Austin, so if it's crowded per capita/overwhelmed in some areas, no biggie, there's not one single thing I "have to do" per se. We went to Mexico City for Spring Break last year (during holy week)-honestly I love crowds and vibrant atmosphere throughout a city, so to me, more the merrier. At least a portion of the time will be taken up with family events. If I get a few hours to simply wander around downtown by foot, and do a short hike or two during this portion of the trip, I'll be a happy camper : ) Both of the type of hikes you describe, I enjoy. I particularly like wide vistas, unique geology, etc. which was why perhaps taking a half day and doing Enchanted Rock and perhaps something else out that way was on my mind. That said-if anyone knows of something similar to that throughout Hill Country that would be a little closer (I looked at the Rimrock Trail and that looks promising), then I'd be happy to hear about that as well.

DR: That's unfortunate-I can also see where at Texas there would be a lot more scrutiny under practices than at many places, and I can also see Coach Herman being a Type A/secretive dude. Seems to be working this year though! I'll at least pass by the stadium if I have time. Sounds good re: hikes. Honestly, we are somewhat flexible during the time here, but I honestly don't know exactly how things are gonna go Sat and Sun. If I've already gotten to look around Austin for a little while Sat or Sun, I might be more likely to go out towards Hill Country when I have time Mon. That's no disrespect to what is around Austin, simply that living in Tampa, I rarely if ever get the chance to experience non flat terrain, and so I'll take any chance I get. It was vetoed based on not having quite enough time on this trip, but I had half a mind to drive out to El Paso haha. Thanks for recommendations on food and parks as well! Now on Franklin, just how busy is it truly? I have heard 3 hours, is that true? I want to go as reputation precedes itself. That said, I'm not sure I want to kill my whole morning for it. I actually have never seen Dazed and Confused, regrettably. I should probably change that before going to Austin. I had it in mind to stop by the office park that was Initech HQ in an all time classic, Office Space (I know it sounds crazy, but last I checked I believe that building is still there too-Milton didn't burn it completely)

THL: Interesting suggestions for Georgetown as well! Of course, not all hiking trails are created equal, but the good thing is Austin just seems to have a lot compared to many US cities in general. Very forward thinking in that regard.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:00 PM

to add, since you said you were staying near the Domain:

If you're into breweries, there is kind of a brewery trail more or less along Metric Blvd. in north Austin near the Domain. Celis (google it if you don't know the history), Adelberts (Belgian), 4th Tap (lots of weird things), an Oskar Blues expansion from Colorado, and a cider place whose name I can't remember. A few blocks west off Burnet is Austin Beer Works, arguably the best of the group. Everything but ABW is walkable, and actually ABW is too but it's a bit of a .... hike. That's my kind of hike.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 PM

535 posts, read 1,293,059 times
St. Edward’s Park, Bull Creek.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
DR: That's unfortunate-I can also see where at Texas there would be a lot more scrutiny under practices than at many places, and I can also see Coach Herman being a Type A/secretive dude. Seems to be working this year though! I'll at least pass by the stadium if I have time. Sounds good re: hikes. Honestly, we are somewhat flexible during the time here, but I honestly don't know exactly how things are gonna go Sat and Sun. If I've already gotten to look around Austin for a little while Sat or Sun, I might be more likely to go out towards Hill Country when I have time Mon. That's no disrespect to what is around Austin, simply that living in Tampa, I rarely if ever get the chance to experience non flat terrain, and so I'll take any chance I get. It was vetoed based on not having quite enough time on this trip, but I had half a mind to drive out to El Paso haha. Thanks for recommendations on food and parks as well! Now on Franklin, just how busy is it truly? I have heard 3 hours, is that true? I want to go as reputation precedes itself. That said, I'm not sure I want to kill my whole morning for it. I actually have never seen Dazed and Confused, regrettably. I should probably change that before going to Austin. I had it in mind to stop by the office park that was Initech HQ in an all time classic, Office Space (I know it sounds crazy, but last I checked I believe that building is still there too-Milton didn't burn it completely)
I don't know where all the Office Space locations are. Seems like I heard the building shots were actually filmed in Dallas. But I really don't know.

Yeah, you should see Dazed and Confused. Most of the locations have since changed but Top Notch is pretty much exactly the same now as it was in the movie.

The closing of practices was done by Mack Brown shortly after the internet became ubiquitous. I can't imagine any coach these days would tolerate random people doing daily write-ups complete with pictures and posting them on-line so all the world knows what you're working on. A classic example of "this is why we can't have nice things".

As far as Franklin's wait, it's twue, it's twue. If you're here during SXSW it will be orders of magnitude worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin