Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:42 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
I don't think you understand what we are saying. There is no deal that CC companies offer to businesses. There is always a 2-4% charge for accepting CC. What businesses do it to add that 2-4% to the price of their goods and services for EVERY customer. So even if you pay by cash to 7-eleven, you are still paying that overhead. In order for travis county or city of austin to accept credit cards without charging you fee, they will have to raise the tax amount by that much for everyone. I don't think anyone will be happy with that solution.

Credit card companies did a good job of convincing customers that using credit card is free and they forced the businesses to offer the same price for cash and credit. That's the price we all pay for "convenience".
That makes sense, it doesn't change the fact that the city charging a taxpayer a $47 sur-charge to pay his property taxes with his debit card is outrageous. And, I suppose it's my own fault for not knowing, but it never once occurred to me to call the city in advance and ask them if there is a fee to pay my property taxes with a debit card.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 01-24-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That makes sense, it doesn't change the fact that the city charging a taxpayer a $47 sur-charge to pay his property taxes with his debit card is outrageous. And, I suppose it's my own fault for not knowing, but it never once occurred to me to call the city in advance and ask them if there is a fee to pay my property taxes with a debit card.
Look at it this way, they (the office collecting the tax) are getting charged a fee by the service provider for processing your payment by card. That won't change. It's gonna happen. If you didn't have to pay the card processing fee, then that money would come out of the budget. Basically, they'd have to raise taxes (or cut costs elsewhere) to cover the fees they pay for someone using a debit card or CC. Every taxpayer would be subsidizing those using a card instead of paying by check, etc. I, as a taxpayer, would be more pissed at that scenario where everyone is paying extra for some to use a debit card or credit card while others are using a cheaper method.

Even though the money comes from the same place (your bank account), the processing methods by debit card and by echeck or ACH are different and have different costs.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:35 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
No, the city is NOT charging you a fee - they are simply passing on the charge that the debit/cc company is charging THEM. Complain to your debit card provider.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:02 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,094 times
Quote:
Why is the fee "outrageous" if the city has to pay the fee to the card company? It's a fee imposed by the credit/debit card companies. Where do you expect the city to find the money to pay those fees?

Unless they raise all of our property taxes by 3% to cover CC fees, they don't have an extra 3% sitting around to cover those expenses. And I'll wager most Austin residents would be strongly against an increase in property taxes to cover the cost of credit card fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: