Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 AM

63 posts, read 38,862 times

Advertisements

Ultimately, beauty is in the eye ... I find the moss-hung swamps of Louisiana very beautiful and atmospheric, but some find them spooky and claustrophobic. The Sonoran desert is majestically scenic to me, but to others it's a wasteland. Even the soft, green, flower-strewn English countryside is too pretty-pretty for some people.

Most of Texas doesn't have the striking scenery of parts of California, Hawaii, or Alaska -- few states do -- but that's neither here nor there in regard to the OP's girlfriend's attitude. If they become a serious couple and he wants to remain in Texas, and she can't adjust, she'll be unhappy -- very unhappy. I've met more than a few Californians who loathe Texas but are here because of jobs and/or less expensive housing. On the other hand, Texas and all it has to offer may grow on her.

Also important is what the OP and his girlfriend may want in the future, home-wise: a small, mediocre house in beautiful surroundings (California), or a larger, nice house in mediocre surroundings (Texas)? And, can she get used to blast furnace heat for nearly half the year?

The OP's girlfriend needs to reside in Texas for a period of time to gain a better understanding of what it's like to live there. If she hates it, he's better off with someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 11:27 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
ill add that much of southern california is not beautiful. Pretty much every square inch is paved over in the cities. Right close to the beach is awesome, but just a mile inland is a concrete desert. The mountains have zero trees and have sparse low bushes. Even san diego is not beautiful except right at the beach. The cities have a fraction of the trees we have in austin. Ill take a live oak over a palm tree any day.

Im talking san diego, orange county, long beach, LA. Once you get north of LA and the sprawl stops, then it is a lot of rolling hills and farms, but it is not better than the hill country.

Redwood forests are a miniscule part of california.

And california has zero clear water. Visibility is generally very low. Long beach, santa barbara etc also have tarballs
She lived in Northern California, the Bay Area, not Southern California... She said her apartment complex even had redwood trees in the parking lot.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman09 View Post
Ultimately, beauty is in the eye ... I find the moss-hung swamps of Louisiana very beautiful and atmospheric, but some find them spooky and claustrophobic. The Sonoran desert is majestically scenic to me, but to others it's a wasteland. Even the soft, green, flower-strewn English countryside is too pretty-pretty for some people.

Most of Texas doesn't have the striking scenery of parts of California, Hawaii, or Alaska -- few states do -- but that's neither here nor there in regard to the OP's girlfriend's attitude. If they become a serious couple and he wants to remain in Texas, and she can't adjust, she'll be unhappy -- very unhappy. I've met more than a few Californians who loathe Texas but are here because of jobs and/or less expensive housing. On the other hand, Texas and all it has to offer may grow on her.

Also important is what the OP and his girlfriend may want in the future, home-wise: a small, mediocre house in beautiful surroundings (California), or a larger, nice house in mediocre surroundings (Texas)? And, can she get used to blast furnace heat for nearly half the year?

The OP's girlfriend needs to reside in Texas for a period of time to gain a better understanding of what it's like to live there. If she hates it, he's better off with someone else.
I told her if she thinks Austin is ugly then she is in for a rude awakening when we visit my siblings in Dallas and Houston. I told her outside of New Orleans is a National Park that I go hiking in the swamps (Jean Lafitte National Park) and she'd probably hate that too, as it's on a boardwalk and is flat, although the trees are taller. Her response is "I've never seen a swamp so it probably will be interesting, also there is more wildlife to look at."

She says the heat is fine because she has relatives in the Central Valley so she "knows heat". I don't think she "knows humidity" though.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:24 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well I took my final "free" hike with my girlfriend on a glorious day.

She said "let's not kid ourselves, Texas is ugly and un-interesting compared to California. These trees look like bushes, give me redwoods and sequoias any day."

I said "It's a beautiful day, sunny skies and the trees provide shade. They are not as tall or great as in California but nothing is... I think Texas is pretty in a rugged way."

Why can't Californians just enjoy things, why do they always have to compare to back home?

I'd trade her in.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I told her if she thinks Austin is ugly then she is in for a rude awakening when we visit my siblings in Dallas and Houston. I told her outside of New Orleans is a National Park that I go hiking in the swamps (Jean Lafitte National Park) and she'd probably hate that too, as it's on a boardwalk and is flat, although the trees are taller. Her response is "I've never seen a swamp so it probably will be interesting, also there is more wildlife to look at."

She says the heat is fine because she has relatives in the Central Valley so she "knows heat". I don't think she "knows humidity" though.
OP, where in Texas do you live, or intend to live, with your girlfriend, should your relationship move in a serious direction? It's a huge state, with a great variety of scenery, architecture, climate, etc. She may surprise you and like the Dallas and Houston areas better than Austin. Many visitors have been pleasantly surprised at the lush, semi-tropical ambiance of Houston.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
OP, where in Texas do you live, or intend to live, with your girlfriend, should your relationship move in a serious direction? It's a huge state, with a great variety of scenery, architecture, climate, etc. She may surprise you and like the Dallas and Houston areas better than Austin. Many visitors have been pleasantly surprised at the lush, semi-tropical ambiance of Houston.
Austin or the lower Coastal Bend (CC down to SPI) or perhaps the Big Bend / Marfa area are the only areas that I would ever consider living in. Right now I live in Austin which I consider among the most beautiful cities in Texas.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
I'd trade her in.
I know you're joking but you can't expect anyone to "instantly adapt" to a new environment.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:35 PM

OP, over the decades I've seen people take a strong liking or dislike to both Texas and California. For some reason, these two states seem to polarize many people. I'd advise your girlfriend to experience living in Texas for awhile, if possible, before you two make a permanent relationship. Or, what about an alternative state that's more scenic than Texas and more affordable than California?

Old 02-25-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
OP, over the decades I've seen people take a strong liking or dislike to both Texas and California. For some reason, these two states seem to polarize many people. I'd advise your girlfriend to experience living in Texas for awhile, if possible, before you two make a permanent relationship. Or, what about an alternative state that's more scenic than Texas and more affordable than California?
She wants to live overseas (Europe) so I'm having to manage that expectation.

She also had stints in Colorado & NYC. She said NYC weather sucked but there was so much "culture" that it was awesome. She said Colorado was "flat and butt ugly" in Denver but the mountains were pretty, but still "not as pretty as Tahoe" but "good skiing".

She's a "lot" younger than me so it's a bit different than what I've dealt with previously. I know it takes time to adjust. But she's so beautiful! Just looking at her face when we FT makes me smile!

I'm thinking I can start explaining how to appreciate a different place. I've lived all over and not always in spectacular places.

To be honest I didn't think about this when I started dating her, just awed by her beauty. I know I'm not going to ever be able to get someone this young and beautiful again so I have to learn to deal with these personality "traits". This particular one bothers me though. She's a real nice gal though, she just sees through a very narrow lens.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 PM

It sounds like your much younger girlfriend has a lot of traveling and living to do before she settles in one place. If she doesn't take to Texas, Denver, or other places, that's not a negative personality trait but simply a natural preference to live somewhere more to her liking.

This thread is going in the direction of "Relationships," where your concerns might be better addressed.

I sincerely hope you and your girlfriend come to a resolution that's satisfactory to both of you. Good luck to you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin