Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,281 times

Advertisements

Both great choices if you are going to live in TX. I wouldn't base it on the thunderstorms though, which by the way, we don't get what I would say is a lot, and they certainly aren't scarey ones at that. IT DOES RAIN A LOT through certain times of the year. BUT, there are times of the year, like right now, that it is 70-82 for weeks at a time. If you are looking for all around beauty, Austin is definitely your choice. We have a lake with running trails that runs through downtown. A HUGE greenbelt, that is protected by the city, of trees that runs through different areas of the town. It really should depend more on your spare time. What do you like to do? Do you like music?
In very VERY General terms... Not to offend anyone, I would say Austin is way more laid back than fort worth. Forth Worth has a bit more of a seriousness to it, ALTHOUGH it is still a lot of fun, the people all in all aren't as laid back as Austin people. I think most would agree to that... I mean, how many Keep Ft. Worth Wierd Shirts do has anyone ever seen?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
Iam in California SO i GUESS i BETTER STAY
WHY ARE YOU SO SCARED OF THUNDERSTORMS ANYWAY ITS NOT LIKE YOURE GOING TO DIE FROM ONE OR ANYTHING I MEAN YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA WHERE THEY HAVE EARTHQUAKES FIRES AND MUDSLIDES WHICH IS A LOT WORSE THAN A LITTLE THUNDER AND LIGHTNING OH AND ISNT IT ANNOYING WHEN PEOPLE POST IN ALL CAPS WITH NO PUNCTUATION

Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
You're all wrong, Austin is the Lightning Capitol of the World. I'm afraid California is the only place that will keep you safe from being struck. I think it has something to do with the fact that the whole damn state is concrete and lightning needs to be able to actually make contact with the Earth. So go ahead and tell your boss that you're going to have to stay there, afterall, you know, for your own safety. LOL!!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 PM

215 posts, read 985,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
You're all wrong, Austin is the Lightning Capitol of the World. I'm afraid California is the only place that will keep you safe from being struck. I think it has something to do with the fact that the whole damn state is concrete and lightning needs to be able to actually make contact with the Earth. So go ahead and tell your boss that you're going to have to stay there, afterall, you know, for your own safety. LOL!!
okay now its austins turn here comes the storms

Old 04-26-2008, 12:44 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
I can't WAIT for thunderstorms in Austin!!! We had 'em on the east coast, and god how I miss 'em.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:46 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
So did you like the ones that came through last night? As scary as they can seem sometimes, I really missed them too when we were in Co. You get lots of lightning there, but not a good rain with them.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:18 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
I grew up on the East Coast and that storm last night was one of the strongest I've seen and felt.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:31 PM

215 posts, read 985,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
I grew up on the East Coast and that storm last night was one of the strongest I've seen and felt.
maybe thunderstorms are better than fires and gangs in california

Old 04-27-2008, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 12,730 times
A storm rolled through Austin during my last week in town. I think it came before daylight on Friday April 18. I awoke in my hotel room to find puddles of water and my shoes soaked. I think it came into town suddenly and unexpected, and maybe not that bad since I slept through it.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:47 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,547 times
Funny you mention this after the past couple of days...it's gotten pretty rocking, in town, but what shocks me is I've managed to escape hail BOTH times.

If you really want storm-free...move to Vegas. You'll not likely see rain which gets the ground wet for a couple of years. Lightning literally makes the locals break into programming.... It's really kinda funny.

I grew up in Dallas, and while all of the midwest and south will be suseptible to storms, Austin is better off because it's farther away from weather Hell, Witchita Falls. Snow, ice, tornadoes, hail, severe heat...if it's bad weather you want, go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: