Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 AM

12,866 posts, read 13,166,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
The commute can be horrible and is getting worse because the mayor and the Austin cronies of the mayor want to develop with little plan for any common sense with that.

I spent 1 hour 45 minutes going from my work on the eastside to a happy hour last week at 360 x 2222 on a Wednesday at rush hour. I was in disbelief!
Sienna?
Someone in our Happy Hour group suggested that place but the traffic situation put the kibosh to the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 08:11 PM

26 posts, read 39,504 times
I would say no - especially because of the schools in Austin. Moving from NY to Austin will be a major surprise in terms of the suffocating heat, the traffic, and the enormous problems with some of the schools in the area. The few roads that are decent are turning into nightmares with more planned toll roads. Look at this chart -- NY spends almost three times as much money on education as Texas. http://www.governing.com/gov-data/ed...upil-data.html

Last edited by treasuremapper; 03-04-2019 at 08:56 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,035,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
The commute can be horrible and is getting worse because the mayor and the Austin cronies of the mayor want to develop with little plan for any common sense with that.

I spent 1 hour 45 minutes going from my work on the eastside to a happy hour last week at 360 x 2222 on a Wednesday at rush hour. I was in disbelief!
There is no place at 360/2222 that is worth going to happy hour for, especially from the east side.

If you are working on the east side all the best places are already there.

I might consider some central locations.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:19 PM

12,866 posts, read 13,166,814 times
^^^^
What Austin97 said.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
There is no place at 360/2222 that is worth going to happy hour for, especially from the east side.

If you are working on the east side all the best places are already there.

I might consider some central locations.
Well said.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:04 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,380,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfamily77 View Post
There are things we like about NYC — like access to culture, international community (we are Europeans) etc,
Houston is definitely a better fit with its more established cultural and international communities, and less of a culture shock coming from NYC. Austin and San Antonio are not that far away (150-200 miles) for occasional weekend visits.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:42 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,421,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston is definitely a better fit with its more established cultural and international communities, and less of a culture shock coming from NYC. Austin and San Antonio are not that far away (150-200 miles) for occasional weekend visits.
I actually really like Houston, but the meme I saw recently was pretty accurate - "Houston is an hour away from Houston"

Old 03-05-2019, 09:24 AM

550 posts, read 491,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I actually really like Houston, but the meme I saw recently was pretty accurate - "Houston is an hour away from Houston"
I just saw one that said "Toronto is an hour away from Toronto".

Must be a thing, as they say.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:17 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,324,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Also, as many have said on this board, if you are coming to TX from the Northeast (and have lived nowhere else) it is usually the most difficult move as compared to coming from all other regions. We were lucky -- while we had spent a huge amount of time in the NE, we also lived in almost every other quadrant of the country prior to coming to Austin so our minds were fairly open.

After moving back here to the NYC metro/northern NJ, I can assure you the above ^ is accurate. It's just SO different in every way I can think of. People here take for granted so much stuff that doesn’t even exist in Texas.
THIS!! A thousand times - THIS! I moved here from Philadelphia 2 decades ago. And I still haven't adjusted or gotten used to these things. I miss the ocean. I miss mountains. I miss seasons. I miss being able to walk to just hop on a train. Etc., etc.

But there's also the less tangible things. The attitude here is just different. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just different. Things like sense of humor don't translate well. People in the NE tend to be more direct and honest and, in my opinion, more genuine. People here tend to be more superficial. Yes, they are nice, but it is more of a polite than genuinely nice, if that makes sense. The culture takes a lot of adjustment.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:19 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,324,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I also saw something recently that said, "Austin, also known as northwest Houston..." If all the sprawl continues, it may be pretty accurate one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin