Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 10,305 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Copperas Cove and I know nothing about it. Love to hear some feedback. Moving from rural Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 AM

97 posts, read 197,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damifinoy View Post
Considering a move to Copperas Cove and I know nothing about it. Love to hear some feedback. Moving from rural Nevada.
Woooow... I'm So Sorry! Who did you upset? JK... I used to live there. It was because I was in the Army. Almost the ENTIRE community east and west of you in Lampassas to Harker Heights is all Army. There is alot of crime in Killeen (downtown) but most of that whole area is pretty responsible as it's ALL military at Ft Hood.

Copperas Cove is very small. It does have a bank, WalMart, and a TGI Fridays. Best mexican place ever... Casa Ole...

Again, very very small town, that is there only because the US Army has the biggest base in North America just steps from Copperas Cove. If the Army left, Cove would cease to exsist.

I can't really say I loved it there. Killeen is a short drive, as is Austin (50 mins) I moved to Austin because of my time I spent there at Ft Hood.

There isnt really much to say about Cove. The police love to give tickets. It's a small town. It has a Wal Mart. And most importantly it is there becuase the US Army is there.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 AM

252 posts, read 724,343 times
Lampasas isn't an army town. There are soldiers starting to move into Lampasas but it's mostly a country and redneck town in which most everyone works in construction.

I do NOT recommend Copperas Cove. It's basically just a town with amenities for Ft. Hood soldiers. That's it. It's a little run down in places, slight ghetto in others (although no where as bad as Killeen.)

Killeen on the other hand used to be tolerable 10 years ago, but especially after Katrina and Rita, it's gotten really bad as far as crime is concerned. I have no intention of ever visiting the area again.

I agree that Cove would cease to exist without Ft. Hood. Cove is pretty much a shanty town like that.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
guess it's up to me to save cove's reputation

despite what the previous two posters stated, i really think that you should truly enjoy copperas cove as long you dont mind small town living. but even with that said, at almost 30,000 people in a metro of almost 400,000 its not that small. and is way more diverse than most cities its size

it most certainly is not there only because of fort hood (though it does depend on it) and it is certainly not a bad place. in fact it has friendly people, a great community feel (mostly centered around the high school), and some beautiful neighborhoods built on some pretty rugged hills

and fyi, any person that could call ANYTHING in copperas cove a "ghetto" has never been to a real ghetto

Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM

Haha, Cove doesn't really have much of a reputation to save. Like TopSecretAdam said, it exists primarily as amenities for Ft. Hood soldiers. When I said it's like a shanty town, I meant it's like those pop-up tent towns in the Old West that appeared for the guys laying down railroad track.

I think describing it as a small town is wrong... for a guy from rural Nevada, when you say "small town," he's going to get the connotation of Evening Shade or Mayberry. It has 30,000 people so yes, it's not exactly a small town population wise anyway.

Quote:
it most certainly is not there only because of fort hood (though it does depend on it) and it is certainly not a bad place.
Bad is a relative term. To me, I don't see the point of living there unless you're military. It's nearby an area that just exploded in crime (Killeen). The "beautiful neighborhoods" have nothing on Austin or Dallas. They just happen to be the nicest houses in Copperas Cove (which isn't hard). It's a working-class town in which there's plenty couples just trying to make ends and some single parents as well.

Quote:
and fyi, any person that could call ANYTHING in copperas cove a "ghetto" has never been to a real ghetto
I used to live in a real ghetto. There are parts of Copperas Cove that isn't too far off. I met a lot of people from Cove who had this wannabe ghetto mentality, sort of like Ali G. Which is understandable because Cove is a working-class town that isn't exactly country.

Quote:
a great community feel (mostly centered around the high school)
This is true for most places in Texas.

Unless you're military, there are other places in Texas worth looking at.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
Haha, Cove doesn't really have much of a reputation to save. Like TopSecretAdam said, it exists primarily as amenities for Ft. Hood soldiers. When I said it's like a shanty town, I meant it's like those pop-up tent towns in the Old West that appeared for the guys laying down railroad track.

I think describing it as a small town is wrong... for a guy from rural Nevada, when you say "small town," he's going to get the connotation of Evening Shade or Mayberry. It has 30,000 people so yes, it's not exactly a small town population wise anyway.

Bad is a relative term. To me, I don't see the point of living there unless you're military. It's nearby an area that just exploded in crime (Killeen). The "beautiful neighborhoods" have nothing on Austin or Dallas. They just happen to be the nicest houses in Copperas Cove (which isn't hard). It's a working-class town in which there's plenty couples just trying to make ends and some single parents as well.

I used to live in a real ghetto. There are parts of Copperas Cove that isn't too far off. I met a lot of people from Cove who had this wannabe ghetto mentality, sort of like Ali G. Which is understandable because Cove is a working-class town that isn't exactly country.

This is true for most places in Texas.

Unless you're military, there are other places in Texas worth looking at.
old does not equal ghetto

south dallas, the fifth ward of houston, the neighborhoods in the shadows of the alamodome in san antonio...these are ghettoes. there is nothing, and i do mean absolutely nothing in cove that even comes close to resembling these types of places. the worst neighborhoods in killeen barely qualify

the advice i would give the original poster is to just visit copperas cove and discover the town for yourself. contrary to the other posters, i think it's a nice town and worth giving a try. military or not

Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Wow, AlGreen, we must have really struck a nerve with you.

We have already summed up Copperas Cove quite nicely. There is no need to discuss what is a ghetto and what is not a ghetto. I don't care. Hell, I've already said before that I have lived in the ghetto is Copperas Cove isn't a big step above it for me. I don't like being around trailer houses, shackled homes, and wannabe gangsta kids. Let it go already. You are going way off topic.

Copperas Cove is NOT somewhere I would want to live, and in regards to the OP, I think he would be better served living somewhere else because he is not in the military. It's just not a town that's desirable to live in unless you're in the military.

Quote:
the advice i would give the original poster is to just visit copperas cove and discover the town for yourself. contrary to the other posters, i think it's a nice town and worth giving a try. military or not
The whole entire town revolves around the military. Unless you're military, there are better choices in Texas. I'm being realistic, it's not quite a town you move to from thousands of miles away unless you're Army.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
Wow, AlGreen, we must have really struck a nerve with you.

We have already summed up Copperas Cove quite nicely. There is no need to discuss what is a ghetto and what is not a ghetto. I don't care. Hell, I've already said before that I have lived in the ghetto is Copperas Cove isn't a big step above it for me. I don't like being around trailer houses, shackled homes, and wannabe gangsta kids. Let it go already. You are going way off topic.
actually i was not off topic because we were still discussing cove

Quote:
Copperas Cove is NOT somewhere I would want to live, and in regards to the OP, I think he would be better served living somewhere else because he is not in the military. It's just not a town that's desirable to live in unless you're in the military.

The whole entire town revolves around the military. Unless you're military, there are better choices in Texas. I'm being realistic, it's not quite a town you move to from thousands of miles away unless you're Army.
this is your opinion, but it is not fact. and you do not speak for everyone

yes, copperas cove is heavily reliant on fort hood, but it still has its own identity. it was an established town long before the military ever arrived. the city still has its own festivals and other traditions that are completely autonomous from the military culture. furthermore, there are generations of covites that arent military, and numerous other residents that are there by choice. harker heights is really the town that has no real identity of its own

i'm not saying that the op would absolutely love cove. what i'm saying is that he/she should discover the town for themself. just because you didnt like it, doesnt mean everybody wont

Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
actually i was not off topic because we were still discussing cove
Uhh, NO, you made another subject of discussion derived from the original topic. Try again.

Quote:
this is your opinion, but it is not fact. and you do not speak for everyone
Thank you for saving the day, Captain Obvious.

Quote:
yes, copperas cove is heavily reliant on fort hood, but it still has its own identity.
Copperas Cove doesn't have an identity... hahaha! If you want an identity look at one of the neighborhoods in Dallas like Deep Ellum. Practically the entire economy of Copperas Cove revolves around Fort Hood. Shut down Fort Hood and there are massive business closings in Cove.

Quote:
it was an established town long before the military ever arrived. the city still has its own festivals and other traditions that are completely autonomous from the military culture.
EVERY SINGLE TOWN in Texas was established long before and has its own festivals of some sort. This is not unique to Copperas Cove. Furthermore, this has nothing to do with the fact that if Fort Hood shut down, most of Cove would, too.

Cove is just a military town... nothing more, nothing less. Definitely not somewhere I'd recommend someone moving all the way to Nevada to.

Quote:
harker heights is really the town that has no real identity of its own
And ironically I think Harker Heights is a nicer town than Cove.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 AM

97 posts, read 197,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
guess it's up to me to save cove's reputation

despite what the previous two posters stated, i really think that you should truly enjoy copperas cove as long you dont mind small town living. but even with that said, at almost 30,000 people in a metro of almost 400,000 its not that small. and is way more diverse than most cities its size

it most certainly is not there only because of fort hood (though it does depend on it) and it is certainly not a bad place. in fact it has friendly people, a great community feel (mostly centered around the high school), and some beautiful neighborhoods built on some pretty rugged hills

Nobody means any harm by it, I lived in Cove for several years, all because I was in the Army. So, through my experience. I gave my opinion.

I personally think Cove stinks. But, there are a MILLION worse places in the world than Cove. It's just not for me. Two GREAT things about Cove... It's small and generally quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin