Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:05 AM
RND

56 posts, read 267,629 times

Advertisements

Things I wish we added but didn't:
1) Upgraded to rounded sheetrock corners throughout the house
2) Water softener
3) jetted tub in the master
4) ceiling fans in every room and in the covered patio
5) 3rd car garage
6) intercom system

Things I'm glad we have:
1) Granite
2) counter-height vanity in master
3) Plugs in the eave for outdoor lights
4) dedicated plug in the garage for our deep freezer
5) gas drop for bbq
6) fully upgraded cabinets, lighting and plumbing fixtures
7) carpet in the main living spaces...we recently had our 3rd baby and he would not have been comfortable playing on hard tile.
8) Faux wood blinds on every window...we still haven't gotten around to getting drapes for every window so I'm glad they are covered with something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 AM

347 posts, read 1,562,501 times
Lots of drawers in the kitchen. This sounds like a no-brainer, but our kitchen here has mostly cupboards in the base cabinets. Only one drawer at the top of each cabinet. So there is nowhere to store tupperware or bowls except to just toss everything at the bottom of a cupboard. I would have just about everything be drawers if I had my way. Even if they were just cupboards with roll-out drawers.

And super powerful bathroom fans. And a linen closet in every bathroom. (Or at least the master.)

As big a garage as possible.

Lots of plugs. All the plugs in our house are the kind that just have two outlets. With so much stuff being plugged in, you really need four outlets per plug (or is that four plugs per outlet?)

Several phone jacks. We have one phone jack on each floor. That's two in the whole house. Two!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:45 PM

639 posts, read 2,702,108 times
Wire the heck out of any new home. The cost will justify it in the future, trust me!

Wire cat5e to every single room in the house. In the future you will want this for home automation, intercoms, distributed speakers, cameras ect..... The cat5 will also distribute phone, up to 4 phone lines on a single cable run.

Get each room wired for TV, RG6 cable. This is not only helpful for you but for resale.

Wire for rock speakers if you have pool.

Wire the outside of the house for cameras, use cat5 or RG59/siameese.

Wire for security pre-wire only. They will kill you on equipment costs if they offer it.

Wire for home theater surround sound, at least 5.1 in any room you want surround sound. Make sure they run RG6 for the sub-woofer location.

Wire every room you want to have speakers in. Do more than you think you will want. You wont see the wires if you never use it. Make sure they run at least 16/2 wire from speakers to volume control locations and cat5 from volume control locations back to media center location. You may also want to run 16/4 from volume control locations to media center location for traditional knob volume control use.

Pre-plumb for central vaccum or just have the entire system installed. Usually builders sub out their low voltage and many offer this great option.

Just wire the house for the future! I am in the low voltage industry and you wouldn't believe the amount of things people are missing out on now without cat5 run in their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: