Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 AM

9 posts, read 8,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I find the driver's in Austin to be among the most courteous and patient drivers of just about any big city in the nation.

There's alot of drivers who drive several miles over the speed limit on MoPac and I-35, and 183 but it's usually not all that difficult to stay out of their way, if you keep somewhat aware of what's coming up from behind you. That's how it's gonna be on any freeway in the country. There are gonna be some speedsters on the roads. but I don't necessarily consider the speedsters to be aggressive drivers if they're not getting right up on the tail ends of the slower moving vehicles, "demanding" the vehicle to get the "eff" over.

It's when they get right up on the tail end is when I consider them to be agressive drivers. I usually tap my brakes and they'll back off. If they don't back off, I'll get out of their way or I'll slow down and let them go around me. That scenario doesn't happen to me very often, but occasionally it does. It doesn't happen enough that I would consider it to be a characteristic/stereotype of Austin drivers, like running red lights use to be.

I don't consider myself to be a slow driver but I do drive slower than most. I usually try to go the speed limit and try to stay in the middle lane except use the left lane to pass, and the right lane to exit or to get over for a fast approaching vehicle. The times I do go over the speed limit, it's usually to get around a slower driver.

But it does seem like everybody passes me, but nobody's blowing their horn or flipping me off or giving me dirty looks. I very rarely come across drivers that I would consider to be aggressive drivers.

I do realize anything can happen at anywhere at anytime, but I've been driving since 1970 and never experienced road rage.
Coming from Dallas three years ago I was amazed at how courteous the drivers in Austin are and it took me two years to get over my Dallas driving habits - which were learned in part in self-defense to prevent other Dallas drivers road rage with my driving! I've finally (for the most part) adapted and enjoy driving again in the much more relaxed and friendly driving environment - and I live in a far NW suburb - 78726.

I've had exactly 1 bad driving experience here in three years and that was being cut off trying to enter I-35 from the entry ramp heading into Round Rock where the driver sped up to prevent my entering and that experience would have occurred multiple times a day in Dallas.

The two things I think drivers here could do better are keeping a reasonable distance between cars (not the 3 car distance in a line of cars waiting for the light to change) and not speeding through yellow lights. I find it really hard to believe Austin is in the top 10 cities of most aggressive drivers - Dallas should get at least two of those spots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
When I was a kid, texas drivers didn't dared drive in an aggressive way because many people kept a loaded shotgun in their car! Not kidding. I very rarely even heard a car horn.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:00 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Meh, any law-abiding adult citizen can carry a loaded handgun out of sight in their vehicle these days, not just shotguns & rifles openly. Perfectly legal as long as the person is themselves (not a convicted felon or illegal immigrant).

Anyway, with more overcrowding the driving behavior is going to go downhill for sure.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:02 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I personally still believe DFW and Houston are far more aggressive than anything I've seen in Austin.

The only problem I have with Austin drivers are people being inattentive and jumping in front of me and slamming on the brakes.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:12 AM

125 posts, read 191,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Meh, any law-abiding adult citizen can carry a loaded handgun out of sight in their vehicle these days, not just shotguns & rifles openly. Perfectly legal as long as the person is themselves (not a convicted felon or illegal immigrant).

Anyway, with more overcrowding the driving behavior is going to go downhill for sure.
Have they changed the traveling laws? I thought you had to be “traveling” between two different counties?

Old 03-18-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbyK View Post
Have they changed the traveling laws? I thought you had to be “traveling” between two different counties?
The traveling requirement was thrown out a few years ago. No permit is required to carry a handgun in your vehicle at all as long as it is out of sight. And, as stated, if you are eligible to possess said gun.

Of course you should check the actual law itself..

No one should ever let the presence of a firearm in their car affect their driving. It would be for defensive purposes only. And if stopped by a LEO, keep your hands on the steering wheel. If asked if there is a firearm in the car, then answer correctly and say where it is located.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,345 times
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...way/1861714899

Dooo deee dooooo

Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 PM

478 posts, read 418,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
What do you want to bet Volvo guy turns out to be a transplant that has a huge (16+ mile ) commute.

C’mon Anthony. Take the bait.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:40 AM

Sounds like Morgan got a close look at those Dingo boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin