Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 24,993 times

Advertisements

Hello! We're currently in Pflugerville, and are looking to move SW - either in Dripping Springs ISD, or Lake Travis ISD. Originally, we were interested in getting an acre or 2 and building, but we looked at Highpointe today, and really liked the community feel out there.

I guess we're having trouble narrowing down our options, and finding lots or subdivisions that jive with our main priorities:
*we want to have neighbors - and ones with school-age kids would be great. Our kids are 8 & 9. (So no 5 acre lots off by themselves, in other words)
*we'd like to put in a pool - or barring that, have a community pool that isn't overcrowded like Circle C
*we don't want to be right on top of our neighbors - 90' lots or more would be perfect. (again, my husband would prefer 1+ acres)

I think that's it! We have 2 dogs, so would need to fence in at least part of whatever we're looking at (obviously in a subdivision - the entire backyard).

We'd like to build about 4,000 sf - we loved the Sanders III Pulte in Highpointe, just to give you an idea of the type of house we're looking at. On average - does anyone know how much it is to build approximately that "level" of house (granite, tile, hardwood, limestone, etc)?

We've looked at Hidden Springs, but I wasn't thrilled with the proximity to the ball fields (lights??) - also found some lots in the Whit Hanks Creek Road Ranch, but those are a bit outside our budget (trying to stick to around 70K for an acre or more). Didn't really see any buildable lots in Walking W, unless we gave up a backyard. We looked at Sawyer Ranch and Dos Lagos, but not seriously yet. Any place else we should look - maybe up and coming subdivisions or developments? I'd love to get a better pick of the lots, and we're not in a rush (could wait at least a year or more - or move sooner).

Any and all advice appreciated!

Leigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,414 times
There are two ways this process works. You stated that you were looking for a lot in the 70K range and you said that you're not in a time crunch. From this I'm assuming you would like to purchase the lot and then build later? If that's the case, you won't be able to do that in Belterra, Highpointe, Meridian, Ledgestone, or any of those master planned communities. When you buy in there, you are buying the whole package. You pick the lot from what the builder has available and then pick the floorplan. Once you place the deposit, the builder will start construction as soon as possible. It will also be hard to find anything close to an acre in those communities. If you aren't planning to buy the lot and wait then I would definitly suggest those communities with the exception of Ledgestone. The lots there are "condo lots". If you are planning on buying the lot then finding the builder I would suggest Friendship Ranch, The Hills of Texas, Goldenwood, Bear Creek, and Sawyer Ranch. Here you can buy the lot and build later. Another suggestion would be the Shelf Rock section of Rim Rock. It is a small "master planned" section of Rim Rock that has approx 1 acre lots BUT just like the other master planned communities you have to build soon. There is also Rutherford West which is a little ways out from being completed, they have just started paving the roads for the community.

I hope that helps.

Derek

Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 24,993 times
Hi Derek - thanks! That was very helpful. Yeah, we know it would basically be switching gears to go from an acre lot with our own builder to a master-planned community with Pulte or Wilshire. We're really flexible on time - originally we had planned on buying a lot, then starting the building process in 8 months to a year (depending on which builder we choose). If we went with Highpointe, we'd be moving a lot faster (maybe too fast?? depending on how our house moves here, school schedules, etc).

We'll take a look at some of the other neighborhoods - I'm assuming those are mostly "estate" lots in older neighborhoods that are mostly built out? I've seen a few of them driving out to the Salt Lick...

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,469 times
You should also look at Sawyer Ranch. The neighbors are extremely friendly, they have a neighborhood pool, and there are lots of kids in your age ranges. It might be the best compromise between getting an acre lot or moving to Highpointe.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,469 times
Also if you are looking at building, you should talk to Gary Potts. I did an open house for him once, and all of his former clients dropped by singing his praises. PM me if you want his info.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:28 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,609 times
You might try Sierra West in Driftwood.. (where else (:P )
1- acre lots, no time requirement to build , quite a few pools, some kids,
fences and dogs about as well .. most of it is sold though..

Cheers

Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 PM

351 posts, read 336,575 times
We moved from a Pulte community in South Austin and have several friends who lived there that all worked for Pulte and moved out to go to Highpointe. Our kids all play together do birthdays etc. but we are the only ones that moved out to Lake Travis and love it. Our freinds tried hard to get us out to Highpointe but Lake Travis has more to offer. Views, exemplary schools, The Galleria, a New Hospital, new communities in any price range Rough Hollow, Falconhead and Falconhead West, Sweetwater, Belvedere, West Cyprus Hills, Flintrock Hills plus a new one up on Bee Creek and of course the lake. As well as more established areas like The Uplands, Lakepointe and The Preserve. An HEB or Randall's is only 5-15 minutes even if you live as far north as Briarcliff. HEB is converting the old grocery at 360/Bee Caves into a cross between an HEB/Central Market. With the Galleria we have a movie theatre and when Sweetwater gets moving this year we will more than likely get a second HEB on 71 and many more resturants. Drippings Springs is a great counrty feel area and Highpointe is a nice community but everything is so far away and they are not experiencing the growth Like Lakeway. We are to grow by 30% for the next two years. The only draw back to Lakeway is the traffic on 360 (of course the Y is worse) and the keeping up the jones' attitude of some residents. We had looked last year at Whit Hanks but he would not allow us to put a fence to house our dog and young kids so we started looking out here and have never looked back.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,804 times
I second the Sierra West vote. Lots are 1.5 to 2.0 acres. Lots of kids. My husband has built many in there. It's a three phase development with each phase having its own entrance. Very convenient to Austin via 150 and then 1826 (by Saltlick) onto 45. Quick. You also gain access to the Wimberley school district which is strong academically and SMALL!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,574 times
I would stay away from The Creek Road Ranch Development since the new wedding venue of Camp Lucy has opened up across the street. I have heard that the traffic and loud music have made that quiet area quite a mess.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
Speaking of Sweetwater, does anyone know if they've choosen a new developer and if so, who? Do we have any idea of a development timeframe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin