U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 AM

6,398 posts, read 7,447,743 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what's going on with Waterloo Park? I drive past it every week, and it has been under construction for years - like maybe 7 years. Still nothing but a fence and barbed wire. I know there was a big debacle with it being too tall and having to be torn down and built again, but this seems ridiculous. The entire Dell SETON Medical Center was built during this time. I haven't heard anything about it in a while, and the latest article I found was over a year old.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:47 AM

7,328 posts, read 9,722,570 times
Oh google. You’re my friend. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sta...emplate=ampart

Old 04-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Oh google. You’re my friend. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sta...emplate=ampart
I know what the end result will be, I'm wondering why it's been about 7 years and it's still not done. Doesn't even seem close to done. As I mentioned, I know there was a big mess where they actually had to tear down and rebuild part of it, but even that was 5 years ago.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:32 AM

6,995 posts, read 12,397,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I know what the end result will be, I'm wondering why it's been about 7 years and it's still not done. Doesn't even seem close to done. As I mentioned, I know there was a big mess where they actually had to tear down and rebuild part of it, but even that was 5 years ago.
if you read the article, it is closed because they were using it as staging to build the intake for the waller creek tunnel.

Now that the tunnel is done they will begin working on the park itself.

Quote:
Waterloo Park, which spans 11 acres, has mostly been off-limits in recent years while crews worked on an intake building for the Waller Creek tunnel, a massive project aimed at taking a large chunk of downtown out of the flood plain.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
if you read the article, it is closed because they were using it as staging to build the intake for the waller creek tunnel.

Now that the tunnel is done they will begin working on the park itself.
No one else thinks that taking about 7 years to do that is a bit ridiculous?

Old 04-13-2019, 02:55 PM

20,795 posts, read 39,768,216 times
Quote:

I do.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:08 PM

6,995 posts, read 12,397,203 times
Quote:
Here is why they had to rebuild it.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20...NEWS/306079724

Quote:
The design plans for an intake facility for a $149 million Waller Creek flood-control tunnel were finished three years ago. But it wasn’t until late March, halfway through construction, that Austin city officials suddenly realized the two-and-a-half story facility would violate state law by obstructing views of the Capitol.

Parts of the intake facility, located in Waterloo Park just east of the Capitol, were already nearly 32 feet tall — 16 feet too tall for the Capitol view corridor — so the city halted construction.
Everyone else always thinks they can do better. Projects are hard and sometimes mistakes are made, bad things happen, or unforseen issues come up.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:38 PM

20,795 posts, read 39,768,216 times
The Statesman articles are behind a paywall so I don't read them. (I have other news sources that I budget for.) However, does it say who is paying for that ignoring of the requirements (the Capitol view corridor has been in place since before I came to Austin, so likely longer than most of the people working on it have been on the planet - it's not like it's something new they forgot about).

Old 04-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Here is why they had to rebuild it.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20...NEWS/306079724

Everyone else always thinks they can do better. Projects are hard and sometimes mistakes are made, bad things happen, or unforseen issues come up.
Yes, that's the delay I mentioned. But even that happened 5 years ago. Still seems like a ridiculously long time.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 PM

8,490 posts, read 14,506,412 times
Same folks who are working on the highways "down south" ???

Suddenly they realized....dang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or