Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:08 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
There are plans to make it more like a freeway, bypassing all of the stop lights. So that would fix a large part of it. People would have to exit before making any turns.
I'm guessing we will have flying cars by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 AM

172 posts, read 176,240 times
Once they get all of those planned overpasses built, it'll be more like a highway. But as of now, no way. Just jerk drivers.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,594,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9229 View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I agree with all of you. Glad to hear it's not just me. I had a dummy in a Txdot truck tailgate me a few weeks ago. Yeah, I reported the idiot to txdot. How dumb do you have to be to drive right on someone's bumper doing 55 in a truck where it's easy to report them for bad driving? So now I started driving the speed limit more. If they are going to tailgate me I may as well irritate them as well. Sure doesn't help my stress level though.
Or you could just move over and only get in the left lane when necessary. But no, passive-aggressive is your mantra.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,044,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, Lord, more destruction of a beautiful area and more destruction of Austin in service to faster, faster, faster, FASTER!
100% yes

Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM

35 posts, read 35,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I think it goes both ways. Of course, some people will just be jerks no matter what. But if you are cruising in the left lane, blissfully unaware of the line of cars behind you, and don't need to turn left for another 3 miles, then that is being just as entitled, in my opinion. Bonus points if you are going 10 MPH below the speed limit.
I understand why you'd say that. It's kind of like when bicyclists take up a lane and hold up traffic just because it's legal. It just pisses everyone off. However I do at least go the speed limit and I am aware of who's around me when I drive. Now, if I was going the speed limit along with the person next to me and no one could get by at all. Well, I don't want to be that guy that holds up everyone just because I'm within my legal rights. I'd move over. But, I just don't see the point of moving over on a road that is not a freeway. Especially if there is room to pass on the right (or left in some cases). I try to be as courteous as I can to other drivers. But when I start the day off getting tailgated and ending the day getting tailgated no matter what lane I'm in or how fast I'm going. It gets old very quickly.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:32 AM

155 posts, read 210,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
100% yes
Surely, you must not travel on that road much. No doubt, it's beautiful. I travel that route to and from office everyday. It takes me 50 minutes to travel the 9 miles from my office in the evening. And more like 30 minutes in the morning. Traffic is pretty much at a standstill for long stretches.

City has approved more office space along 360. Now tell me if more standstill traffic is good for the beauty and health of that road and the residents living along 360?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 AM

724 posts, read 522,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
Surely, you must not travel on that road much. No doubt, it's beautiful. I travel that route to and from office everyday. It takes me 50 minutes to travel the 9 miles from my office in the evening. And more like 30 minutes in the morning. Traffic is pretty much at a standstill for long stretches.

City has approved more office space along 360. Now tell me if more standstill traffic is good for the beauty and health of that road and the residents living along 360?
Yeah. Replacing a road with another road doesn’t ruin a thing.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Yeah. Replacing a road with another road doesn’t ruin a thing.

Sure it does, if you expand the footprint of the road (I've been watching it happen to I35 for 20+ years now, cutting communities in half and eating up the green space, and it doesn't help the traffic at all, just encourages more of it).

It was a shame when 360 was built in the first place, frankly. But at the time we were told (yeah, I know, politicians' promises) that it would remain just as it is and not destroy a beautiful piece of the Hill Country close in. I wasn't foolish enough to believe them completely then, but I'm also not foolish enough not to point out the facts of what it will do in service to faster, faster, faster, faster.

Yes, I do drive it, not every day, but often enough to be familiar with the traffic.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:12 AM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times
I will say I remember cruising south down Hwy 360 in the early hours every weekday morning in the summer of 1983 - the skies over Austin were crystal blue without a hint of smog. From 183 (where 360 started) to the south side of the brand new Pennybacker bridge, there was one (maybe two?) stoplight and I would see maybe 5 or 10 cars total, both directions. It was hard to avoid listening to Michael Jackson in the summer of '83, since 'Thriller' was released one day after the Pennybacker bridge opened in November of 1982.

At the time, that was definitely one of the most beautiful drives in central Texas. It was almost like the road was built just to view the hill country to the west and Austin to the east.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 AM

724 posts, read 522,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sure it does, if you expand the footprint of the road (I've been watching it happen to I35 for 20+ years now, cutting communities in half and eating up the green space, and it doesn't help the traffic at all, just encourages more of it).

It was a shame when 360 was built in the first place, frankly. But at the time we were told (yeah, I know, politicians' promises) that it would remain just as it is and not destroy a beautiful piece of the Hill Country close in. I wasn't foolish enough to believe them completely then, but I'm also not foolish enough not to point out the facts of what it will do in service to faster, faster, faster, faster.

Yes, I do drive it, not every day, but often enough to be familiar with the traffic.
Except the proposed plan doesn’t really expand the footprint of the road, aside from utilizing a bit of the weed-filled ditch that is the center median.

You’re arguing against change that would actually make the area look better and be less impactful to the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: