Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:24 AM

506 posts, read 510,075 times

Advertisements

When traffic is at a standstill or slow-moving, especially on MoPac Highway, do you ride between cars to get to your destination? Have you ever gotten a ticket for that?

Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Unless things have changed, lane splitting is not legal in Texas. It was one of those murky things where it's not explicitly illegal, but it's not explicitly legal. I see bikers do it occasionally, though it's far more common to simply take advantage of one's smaller footprint and do "lane changes" when there is enough of a gap. It's not as advantageous as true lane splitting/sharing, but I would always worry that someone would hit me and the resultant accident/damage would legally be my fault. Again, I haven't checked recently so things may have changed.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I adore motorcycles, was a biker chick back in the day. I HATE lane splitters because they give bikers a bad name for entitlement issues and bad driving. Last I heard (2017) it wasn't explicitly legal or illegal and laws on both sides were proposed but didn't make it out of committee.

It's an idiot thing to do in any case. Why risk ruining someone else's life if they don't see you and pull over just as you're going by and they end up maiming or killing you through no fault of their own and have to live with that the rest of their lives because you just HAD to get ahead of everyone else?

Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Unless things have changed, lane splitting is not legal in Texas. It was one of those murky things where it's not explicitly illegal, but it's not explicitly legal.
I haven't seen lane splitting except when visiting L.A. The Californian police turns a blind eye to the practice. Only Texas cops enforce the traffic laws (to raise revenue--that's what you get in "low" tax Texas; no altruistic motive here).

Looks like the I-35 corridor has been invaded by Californians like a bad spring/fall cold front, while Native Texans are scurrying to Houston as fast as they can. Austin has turned into a Californian colony--better turn Sacramento into a Texas colony as payback!

Old 04-11-2019, 11:48 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
I guess Texas is one of those states that is like California where lane splitting is not mentioned or in a grey area for many many years. In California it had been a tolerated practice as long as its done safely. It appears 15 other states are on the same boat.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
When I lived in CA, I'd see the motorcyclists do it all the time. Usually during a traffic back-up. Just jetting up between the lanes of stopped cars to get passed it all.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
lane-splitting scares me (and might cause unexpected results)
just like the lyrca-bikers that swish by unexpectantly.
so far, so good.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:27 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I haven't seen lane splitting except when visiting L.A. The Californian police turns a blind eye to the practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
. In California it had been a tolerated practice as long as its done safely.
Lane splitting is legal in CA. That's why the police turn a blind eye, or tolerate it.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:43 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I see it on rare occasion, I wouldn't do it myself. But I am too old and wise to ride a motorcycle now anyways .

I did see an interesting event just the other day after exiting Mopac north and approaching the 360 light. Three lanes turn left, one goes straight, and one turns right. I go straight across and on this particular day it was the longest line for some reason.

A motorcycle passes me on the right to turn right - or so I though, he was actually just passing traffic and hopped back in the 'straight' lane. He was very lucky that the car in the left turn lane next to me that did the same thing from the other side - cut to their right to get in the straight lane - did not flatten him. It was VERY close, though. Not sure who would be more at fault there - the illegal passer on the right or the illegal passer on the left.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Lane splitting is legal in CA. That's why the police turn a blind eye, or tolerate it.
Not true at all. CHP at one time offered guidelines on lane splitting which caused an uproar among the motorcycle community who felt validated in the fact that is it not illegal in California. However, they have since removed those "guidelines" and California is pretty much like any state with similar laws in that it is not legal or illegal.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...lane_splitting

Quote:
"Lane splitting general guidelines" information is no longer available.

A petitioner complained to the Office of Administrative Law that there was no formal rulemaking process for the guidelines, and raised other objections. The CHP discussed the issue with the Office of Administrative Law and chose not to issue, use or enforce guidelines and thus removed them from the website.

The underlying purpose of the guidelines was to provide common-sense traffic safety information.

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."
With that said, of the states that have no laws on the books concerning splitting, it's done in California with such fervor that it's a common practice and other drivers are very use to the fact that motorcycles will filter traffic. In California, drivers will move aside to let motorcycles filter. Try that in Texas. I wouldn't on my best day. Texas drivers are not apt to be so accommodating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I adore motorcycles, was a biker chick back in the day. I HATE lane splitters because they give bikers a bad name for entitlement issues and bad driving. Last I heard (2017) it wasn't explicitly legal or illegal and laws on both sides were proposed but didn't make it out of committee.

It's an idiot thing to do in any case. Why risk ruining someone else's life if they don't see you and pull over just as you're going by and they end up maiming or killing you through no fault of their own and have to live with that the rest of their lives because you just HAD to get ahead of everyone else?
^^^^ Typical of Texas drivers. Rider beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin