U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 AM
 
725 posts, read 420,450 times
Reputation: 1262

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Yes I moved here 3 years ago and it was a big mistake. I was here for college previously in the early 2000s.

What I learned:

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have yearly pay increases to keep up with inflation.

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have step pay increases for longevity.

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have merit pay increases unless you get lucky with your supervisor (I did after 3 years).

The young white population, consisting largely of transplants from Texas suburbs, are unfriendly to other ethnicities.

Dating isn't a thing if you are a nonwhite male.

Rents increase every year.

Your lower income refugee neighbors will be priced out by raising rents and move away.

Car insurance is very expensive here because of the high number of uninsured drivers.

You will not own a house unless you have a high income typical of the medical field or high tech.

There are very few professional jobs aside from high tech and medical, compared to other cities.
There’s really not much of this post that is actually based in reality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2019, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Online
472 posts, read 372,504 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
There’s really not much of this post that is actually based in reality.
Personal experience doesn't count as reality to you? Granted it is based on a grand population of 1 but that doesn't disqualify the reality part.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 AM
 
725 posts, read 420,450 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
Personal experience doesn't count as reality to you? Granted it is based on a grand population of 1 but that doesn't disqualify the reality part.
Many people aren’t capable of seeing reality for what it actually is, and instead seek confirmation for their bias.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 AM
 
2,848 posts, read 2,833,915 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
There’s really not much of this post that is actually based in reality.
The issue isn't that it's not based on "reality" because I'm sure that most of the points are based on the authors "reality". The issue is when one's experiences are presented as being representative of the whole vs simply one's experiences. I disagree with some of the points, but only those that are generalized (e.g. "dating isn't a thing if you're a non white male").
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 11:24 AM
 
783 posts, read 870,210 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Yes I moved here 3 years ago and it was a big mistake. I was here for college previously in the early 2000s.

What I learned:

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have yearly pay increases to keep up with inflation.

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have step pay increases for longevity.

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have merit pay increases unless you get lucky with your supervisor (I did after 3 years).

The young white population, consisting largely of transplants from Texas suburbs, are unfriendly to other ethnicities.

Dating isn't a thing if you are a nonwhite male.

Rents increase every year.

Your lower income refugee neighbors will be priced out by raising rents and move away.

Car insurance is very expensive here because of the high number of uninsured drivers.

You will not own a house unless you have a high income typical of the medical field or high tech.

There are very few professional jobs aside from high tech and medical, compared to other cities.
Watch people dismiss you and gloss over your issues and gripes of Austin and tell you how "awesome" it is.

I've been told that Austin is diverse as a city too lol and later this person told me that when people say diverse they mean more black people. Even Austin lacks diversity when you have different ideas and political viewpoints. People assume because I'm black I will have a certain viewpoint and will just agree with their anti-Trump rants. I tell them that people with MAGA hats aren't gentrifying black and Hispanic communities here.

I do agree with you about the young white transplants to a degree. They come here for a liberal utopia but I have also criticized the notion of "liberal" in Austin which is one of my hugest gripes.

Overall though I do like that the city is growing and I feel you can be part of some change here. Plus being in tech here in a state with no state income tax you can certainly stretch your dollar here. Should I decide to move back East or elsewhere I can at least make a high income I couldn't have made in other parts of the US.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 AM
 
7,660 posts, read 13,820,644 times
Reputation: 4196
My sister and law and her husband came from new york city. They stayed here for about 3 years and moved back to new york because austin didnt have enough energy for them. They are starting to get tired of the stress of NYC again though after about a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
12,063 posts, read 12,371,339 times
Reputation: 7232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
My sister and law and her husband came from new york city. They stayed here for about 3 years and moved back to new york because austin didnt have enough energy for them. They are starting to get tired of the stress of NYC again though after about a year.
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. They probably should look internally not externally for satisfaction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,062 posts, read 776,529 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
The issue isn't that it's not based on "reality" because I'm sure that most of the points are based on the authors "reality". The issue is when one's experiences are presented as being representative of the whole vs simply one's experiences. I disagree with some of the points, but only those that are generalized (e.g. "dating isn't a thing if you're a non white male").
First, this is a thread about why people have decided Austin isn't for them, so the entire point is individual experience.


Second, since you brought up the dating thing, I suggest you talk to people about this if you don't believe me. I have hispanic and black friends who have had the same experience (I'm mixed but mostly Indian).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 01:26 PM
 
2,848 posts, read 2,833,915 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
First, this is a thread about why people have decided Austin isn't for them, so the entire point is individual experience.


Second, since you brought up the dating thing, I suggest you talk to people about this if you don't believe me. I have hispanic and black friends who have had the same experience (I'm mixed but mostly Indian).
Again, I'm not saying that I don't believe that it's your experience/observation, just that it's not an absolute. I too have black, hispanic and indian friends and acquaintances, some of them have troubles dating, some do not. The issues with my particular group doesn't seem to be related as much to their ethnicity as it does other factors (e.g. natural shyness is one of the biggest factors along with occupation). When it comes to cultural factors, an example is with many indian friends/acquaintances, I've observed that because of the sheer numbers in tech, that many will date within their own group (indian tech workers) so usually they don't have problems finding dates. Again, just based on what I've personally observed, I'm by no means saying that this is generally true overall for all demographics. When I was single, I also had no problems finding dates, but that was a while ago so obviously the environment has changed (though back then, I was much more in the minority racially than now). Of the (few) folks I know that have left Austin, the "dating scene" is almost never mentioned as a motivating factor, white or non-white.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,964 posts, read 42,477,846 times
Reputation: 24654
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
There’s really not much of this post that is actually based in reality.

Bingo!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top