U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 776,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Bingo!
Would you like to elaborate on exactly which things I said are inaccurate, if you think not much is true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 06:58 PM

7,230 posts, read 14,942,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Yes I moved here 3 years ago and it was a big mistake. I was here for college previously in the early 2000s.

What I learned:

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have yearly pay increases to keep up with inflation.

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have step pay increases for longevity.

State jobs in Texas, unlike the blue unionized states, don't have merit pay increases unless you get lucky with your supervisor (I did after 3 years).

The young white population, consisting largely of transplants from Texas suburbs, are unfriendly to other ethnicities.

Dating isn't a thing if you are a nonwhite male.

Rents increase every year.

Your lower income refugee neighbors will be priced out by raising rents and move away.

Car insurance is very expensive here because of the high number of uninsured drivers.

You will not own a house unless you have a high income typical of the medical field or high tech.

There are very few professional jobs aside from high tech and medical, compared to other cities.
Well, I have to say that much of this rings pretty true to me!

Since the S&L scandel of the late 1980s, rents have pretty much increased every single year.

Refugees DO absolutely move away from Austin due to high COL -- Caritas shut down their program in part because Austin is no longer a good fit for refugees (there were other reason too but this was a definite factor).

Car insurance is high.
Houses are SO much more expensive than they were 10, 15, even 5 years ago. And out of reach of many who aren't tech professionals.

State jobs are stable but the pay is low and rises exceedingly slowly and this has been the case forever and forever.

Clueless white kids from the suburbs, yes, we've got them.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:26 PM

9,555 posts, read 12,032,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Well, I have to say that much of this rings pretty true to me!

Since the S&L scandel of the late 1980s, rents have pretty much increased every single year.

Refugees DO absolutely move away from Austin due to high COL -- Caritas shut down their program in part because Austin is no longer a good fit for refugees (there were other reason too but this was a definite factor).

Car insurance is high.
Houses are SO much more expensive than they were 10, 15, even 5 years ago. And out of reach of many who aren't tech professionals.

State jobs are stable but the pay is low and rises exceedingly slowly and this has been the case forever and forever.

Clueless white kids from the suburbs, yes, we've got them.
Going to disagree on the Caritas thing. They stopped their program specifically because of government funding. I was working with some of their clients when this went down. There is a large number of refugees and caritas and the one other organization that is providing the same services is struggling with absorbing the new number of refugees. This may change as the administration cracks down/changes their process, though.,

Old 05-01-2019, 07:57 PM

7,230 posts, read 14,942,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Going to disagree on the Caritas thing. They stopped their program specifically because of government funding. I was working with some of their clients when this went down. There is a large number of refugees and caritas and the one other organization that is providing the same services is struggling with absorbing the new number of refugees. This may change as the administration cracks down/changes their process, though.,

Oh yes, I was there too. I worked directly with refugee clients, the immediate cause obvsiously was the current administration funding priorities, how many refugees the US resettles has been the perogative of the executive since George Washington. There is no doubt about that. BUT even prior to the change in administation there were concerns (at the high level, outside of local organizations) about the continued suitability of Austin for refugee resettlement due to the shortage of affordable housing and rising cost of living. This was also reflected in the very high number of refugees who moved out of Austin as soon as their first year was up. Very different than 5 or 10 years ago. There was regular speculation that within 10 years or so the USCCB would no longer send refugees here. Now, of course, it is a different world. But someone noticing that their refugee neighbors have to leave due to high COL? That is absolutely true. Look at what happened to nearly everyone whose first apartment was around Doss, they are all gone!

Old 05-01-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Oh yes, I was there too. I worked directly with refugee clients, the immediate cause obvsiously was the current administration funding priorities, how many refugees the US resettles has been the perogative of the executive since George Washington. There is no doubt about that. BUT even prior to the change in administation there were concerns (at the high level, outside of local organizations) about the continued suitability of Austin for refugee resettlement due to the shortage of affordable housing and rising cost of living. This was also reflected in the very high number of refugees who moved out of Austin as soon as their first year was up. Very different than 5 or 10 years ago. There was regular speculation that within 10 years or so the USCCB would no longer send refugees here. Now, of course, it is a different world. But someone noticing that their refugee neighbors have to leave due to high COL? That is absolutely true. Look at what happened to nearly everyone whose first apartment was around Doss, they are all gone!
That's the area I live in, Far West.

It used to be common to see women wearing hijabs with their kids all around the neighborhood. Now it's very rare. One guy I knew spoke very good English as he worked as a translator, so I talked to him often. He said he was planning to move out because of the increasing rent.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 PM

46,096 posts, read 41,145,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Would you like to elaborate on exactly which things I said are inaccurate, if you think not much is true?
well, this one is right, illegal aliens

Car insurance is very expensive here because of the high number of uninsured drivers.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:57 PM

27 posts, read 17,385 times
Moved here last July and really love it! Don't live in the city but out in Lakeway so not sure that really counts.

Here's what I love:
1. People: Have met so many incredibly nice and friendly people. Austinites or CA folks it really doesn't seem to matter.
2. Food: From S Larmar to 2nd Ave to east of 35 or out towards Dripping Springs (Pious Pizza!). Food trucks to fancy pants restaurants. Found my joy for food right here.
3. Hiking - Hill Country hiking is really awesome - Enchanted Rock State Park is a gem!
4. Water- Lake Travis boating, Barton Springs Pool, Hamilton Pool. Amazing natural springs to keep cool.
5. Music: My music IQ tripled since coming here. ACL, Saxton Pub, 6th Street, San Jac Salon, White Water Amphitheater, Broken Spoke, Antone's and all the other many places.
6. Ester's Follies - If you've not heard of it google it - 6th street. Hidden Gem in Austin.
7. ABIA - Yup the airport. It's getting better even in the 9 months I've been here. I can get from Valet to my gate in under 8 mins (TSA). Big changes coming might increase that a bit. When I land and get off the plane I'm always smiling at the smell of BBQ and the distant sound of live music at an Airport!! Got to love that.
8. The energy and anticipated excitement of a city that's growing up. I've spent far too many years in hollowed out rust belt cities and when I hear about a new 200M+ development breaking ground my jaw drops. Last city I lived in wouldn't approve a 2M bike trail extension that would have opened up the downtown metro to the outer reaches and the FED was going to pay 50%. Growth is good in the long run for all.
9. FInding the fingerprints of what was once (and it's still there) this amazing, uniquely weird culture that I am so drawn to.

What I don't like (or tolerate):
1. Property Taxes - Balanced by the fact that there is no state tax but at some point the unlimited power to increase taxes will offset the no state tax. After 9 months my home is being appraised at 20% above what I paid for it in July. Never saw that one coming. Protest time!
2. The homeless on most street intersections. I get all major cities have similar problems but please do not allow people to stand with signs so damn close to 2 ton vehicles traveling at high speeds. Seems so needless to put people in harms way. Please Austin Council move those folks off the streets and to some place safe.
3. No good Italian Markets. Closest I found was in Dallas. Love my Tex-Mex and breakfast Migas but could someone please squeeze in a really authentic Italian Market somewhere?
4. Bumpy roads - Southwest Parkway -I guess that's why everyone runs around in trucks and Jeeps.
5. Allergies - Moderate impact but I moved from a top ten allergy capital.
6. You do need to be making a modest salary to live here -75k+.
7. If you need to work in the city or North traffic will be an issue.
8. Heat - I don't know, I moved my family last July and the day we moved in it was 107. You adapt. Get things done outdoors in the morning and spend the middle of the day on or near water. And then the sunsets and we are all blessed with those amazing Texas summer sunsets. Enough said on that one.
9. Getting anywhere different (other than Dallas/ Houston) requires boarding an airplane. Not too bad but not too many options for a quick overnite.

We are staying and hopefully getting our entire family tribe down here once they get through midwest college!

Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 PM

7,660 posts, read 13,822,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyguy63 View Post
Moved here last July and really love it! Don't live in the city but out in Lakeway so not sure that really counts.

Here's what I love:
1. People: Have met so many incredibly nice and friendly people. Austinites or CA folks it really doesn't seem to matter.
2. Food: From S Larmar to 2nd Ave to east of 35 or out towards Dripping Springs (Pious Pizza!). Food trucks to fancy pants restaurants. Found my joy for food right here.
3. Hiking - Hill Country hiking is really awesome - Enchanted Rock State Park is a gem!
4. Water- Lake Travis boating, Barton Springs Pool, Hamilton Pool. Amazing natural springs to keep cool.
5. Music: My music IQ tripled since coming here. ACL, Saxton Pub, 6th Street, San Jac Salon, White Water Amphitheater, Broken Spoke, Antone's and all the other many places.
6. Ester's Follies - If you've not heard of it google it - 6th street. Hidden Gem in Austin.
7. ABIA - Yup the airport. It's getting better even in the 9 months I've been here. I can get from Valet to my gate in under 8 mins (TSA). Big changes coming might increase that a bit. When I land and get off the plane I'm always smiling at the smell of BBQ and the distant sound of live music at an Airport!! Got to love that.
8. The energy and anticipated excitement of a city that's growing up. I've spent far too many years in hollowed out rust belt cities and when I hear about a new 200M+ development breaking ground my jaw drops. Last city I lived in wouldn't approve a 2M bike trail extension that would have opened up the downtown metro to the outer reaches and the FED was going to pay 50%. Growth is good in the long run for all.
9. FInding the fingerprints of what was once (and it's still there) this amazing, uniquely weird culture that I am so drawn to.

What I don't like (or tolerate):
1. Property Taxes - Balanced by the fact that there is no state tax but at some point the unlimited power to increase taxes will offset the no state tax. After 9 months my home is being appraised at 20% above what I paid for it in July. Never saw that one coming. Protest time!
2. The homeless on most street intersections. I get all major cities have similar problems but please do not allow people to stand with signs so damn close to 2 ton vehicles traveling at high speeds. Seems so needless to put people in harms way. Please Austin Council move those folks off the streets and to some place safe.
3. No good Italian Markets. Closest I found was in Dallas. Love my Tex-Mex and breakfast Migas but could someone please squeeze in a really authentic Italian Market somewhere?
4. Bumpy roads - Southwest Parkway -I guess that's why everyone runs around in trucks and Jeeps.
5. Allergies - Moderate impact but I moved from a top ten allergy capital.
6. You do need to be making a modest salary to live here -75k+.
7. If you need to work in the city or North traffic will be an issue.
8. Heat - I don't know, I moved my family last July and the day we moved in it was 107. You adapt. Get things done outdoors in the morning and spend the middle of the day on or near water. And then the sunsets and we are all blessed with those amazing Texas summer sunsets. Enough said on that one.
9. Getting anywhere different (other than Dallas/ Houston) requires boarding an airplane. Not too bad but not too many options for a quick overnite.

We are staying and hopefully getting our entire family tribe down here once they get through midwest college!
I dont know what a good italian market is, but mandolas in the triangle is an italian market

Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
So why have you stayed?
Aging and dying family in Houston

Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 AM

716 posts, read 456,326 times
i like the fact that state employees are not union and dont get automatic raises for just being there -keeps my taxes low
car insurance is half what i paid in calif and registration about 70% lower

housing is alot lower here especially if you stay the heck out of the big cities

and tell me where rents are not going up - and you would live there - its called supply and demand -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin