U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 05:30 PM

35 posts, read 47,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is so hard to compare one place to another when you are only going on generalities. You can live dirt-cheap in some places in Texas, if you don't mind being remote from the big cities. Of course, that generally means lower quality or availability of health care, too, which is why more retirees don't do it and instead tend to settle in certain areas - such as Kerrville and Fredericksburg - despite the higher taxees.

Similarly, in CA, there are some cheaper areas, but they have their similar drawbacks. Some areas that are more affordable are not much cooler than Austin and many of the 'reasonably' priced areas are also somewhat remote from medical or commercial.

Just as an anecdote, my mom is now retired in a 55+ community inside the city limits of FB. Her tax rate is 1.79% and her property taxes for next year will be ~$2,200. Her house is about 85% of the median home value for the city. I picked a semi-random (I was just there recently ) place in California that has a very similar median home value -Yuba City. Nice enough place that has some passing similarities to FB. In any case, if she was to sell her house here and buy a same-priced home there, her property taxes would actually be $300 higher. Their tax rate is 1% instead of 1.8%, but there are almost no exemptions. The HS exemption there saves a whole $70. The HS/65+ exemptions in FB result in savings of $2,400, give or take.

She doesn't spend much, so state taxes would likely be $1,000 or less, but compared to none here.

Local sales tax will be lower (7.25% in Yuba City compared to 8.25% in FB), but the local metro is higher (Sacramento is 8.75%).
I think for retirees, it sounds like if you're in TX, you're financially better off staying in TX for sure. Especially with CA or other states not having exemptions. FB is a lovely community too, and one of my top favorite towns in the U.S.

I am about 20 years away from retirement, so the thought of what the 'ceiling' could potentially be on real estate taxes here in Austin is a rather daunting prospect. With the new Apple campus being built, prices will undoubtedly skyrocket over the next decade.

The scenarios can definitely vary, depending on where each individual might be in terms of retirement years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 07:54 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,569,337 times
You will pay for a nice area with amenities that are close by everywhere.

To each his own, but California would be to expensive, and Texas........

I HATE HEAT!!! AND DEAL WITH IT EVERY SUMMER!

I can get to anything without a car.

Last edited by Digger 68; 05-09-2019 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 07:14 PM

695 posts, read 878,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post

I can get to anything without a car.
Where do you live?

Old 05-13-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Where do you live?
Cockeysville.........

What's happened in Texas happened in Pennsylvania, once people thought the grass was greener on the other side of the tracks the prices started to increase.
Everybody thought PA was so good in the late 80's, early 90's because housing was cheaper than Maryland, (At least cheaper than here in Northern Baltimore County) and taxes were lower although nothing was there outside of the eastern, and western parts of the state.
If they had bought in the rite neighborhoods in Baltimore City they would be laughing all the way to the bank now. And Baltimore City Taxes were low because housing costs were low in many of these up and coming areas. Now these places are expensive and the taxes are high. Sound familiar?

Old 05-13-2019, 05:02 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,609,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Cockeysville.........
Just curious, but how does your life in Maryland apply to the thread purpose?

Old 05-13-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Just curious, but how does your life in Maryland apply to the thread purpose?

Old 05-14-2019, 12:19 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,377,090 times
Austin was cool but I felt like it's transformed into yet another gentrified, liberal white place with luxury condos popping up everywhere. I saw more diversity outside of Austin than in Austin itself.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:39 PM

4,468 posts, read 9,968,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Crunch the numbers and you might be surprised. Property taxes can take up a huge chunk of retirement income in Texas
And unlike state income tax, which can be estimated, projected and even controlled by the individual, property taxes are a wild card every year.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:08 PM

622 posts, read 349,751 times
I only spent a year in Austin. The people were incredibly friendly and helpful to this outsider but the traffic and summer heat (and humidity) were unbearable. I now live and work in Fredericksburg and love everything about it except for the summer heat of course. My business shuts down for the summer though so I visit family up north then to escape the heat.

As far as taxes go, states have to get their money somewhere. One may have no income tax but high property taxes while another state has lower property taxes because they have an income tax. Doubt it makes much difference once all taxes are paid.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 PM

4,711 posts, read 6,584,397 times
One of the negatives I referred to when I wrote about moving back to California, is the cost of living. There is no doubt that it is more expensive than Austin, and I would not waste anyone's time by arguing that. The property taxes are very high, as are property values. I tried to compensate by moving from a single family home in Austin to a town house in California. That has helped, I'm sure, but it is still expensive. My son also lives in my townhouse, and pays rent to offset some of the costs, at least for now. I know the costs of California are hard to bear, and I don't blame anyone for resenting that or being turned away by it.

One of the things that helped offset the costs also has been working. I have a professional license here, and never had the equivalent in Texas. There are several reasons for that (mostly that I was care-giving for my husband.) In addition, I just was not part of the community there, and here, I am. I have been able to work just a few hours a week at two small jobs that I love, with people that I know, and at a good rate of pay. One of them is consulting in a school system that I worked in for 20 years before I moved to Austin. I know it so well, it is easy and comforting for me, and lots of people know me from before. I could not have had that in Austin, just because of my history and background.

Sometimes it is worth making some sacrifices because it is just the right place to be. I don't mind having a smaller house because I am happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin