Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I don't know Jenbar, I've gone back to some places I've lived that haven't changed much and it's pretty eerie. It's like the town is stuck in a time warp. It does make you appreciate some of the change!
When I go to my hometown it dang near creepy since it's dying a slow death. Every time I go another business is vacant. What's weirder is that the town has gained residents over the past 10 years but there's fewer and fewer businesses...and there's no Wal-Mart or other big box to blame either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Is this a town in an area that's been impacted strongly by the current economy, achtungpv?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 AM

Nah, it's Yoakum down by Victoria. There's no economy there other than leather factories. It's a weird place.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,637 times
what would we do without the Yoakum girls from double D?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Ah! In googling for something for another thread, I found this, and it's great and evocative of the Austin we're in danger of losing. Even if it was written by a Minnesota boy about a Texas gal, rather than the city itself.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM

746 posts, read 3,727,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Ah! In googling for something for another thread, I found this, and it's great and evocative of the Austin we're in danger of losing. Even if it was written by a Minnesota boy about a Texas gal, rather than the city itself.
I think Mr. Keillor would fit right in with the Austin temperament, which, goes to show, is just a state of mind, more than anything to do with Texas or big cities in general. So true......Miss Molly would have bundles of things to say about Austin's changes too. Yes, THL, that is the true spirit and heart of the city. And lets hope it doesn't pass, or at least hangs around for as long as possible.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfry View Post
what would we do without the Yoakum girls from double D?
I totally forgot about the upscale hillbilly fashion from there!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,180 times
Our governments in Texas (local and state) really need to step up big time and start doing something to control all this migration! It's putting huge strains on our school systems, roads, infrastructure, etc. and it's NOT good for those of us who have lived here our whole lives. We're witnessing the demise of the city/state that we've lived in and loved our whole life, right before our eyes. There's a lot more bad than good that comes from massive migration to a particular area. Right now, Texas is experiencing double digit inreases in population and because of it, we're all having to pay higher prices for everything from housing to tolls on roads that had to be built, to tuition at colleges/universities, etc. I'm afraid that the temperament of "Welcome to Texas" is already changing to "Please Go Back to Wherever You Came From, and Don't Come Back". I know that I'm seeing it/hearing it (and feeling it) a lot more than usual! How can Texans not feel this way? Change is good, yes, but massive migration from all over the country like we're experiencing now is NOT GOOD, regardless of what some of you politically correct, wannabee Texans have to say. It's just not true. The problem now is, how do we control it? Our lawmakers need to be the ones to do something. At some point, it's going to be miserable to live here and we're going to be looking to do the same thing half the state of California is doing, looking for somewhere better/cheaper to live. That is going to be a very sad day for those of us that have lived here our whole lives!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Our governments in Texas (local and state) really need to step up big time and start doing something to control all this migration! It's putting huge strains on our school systems, roads, infrastructure, etc. and it's NOT good for those of us who have lived here our whole lives. We're witnessing the demise of the city/state that we've lived in and loved our whole life, right before our eyes. There's a lot more bad than good that comes from massive migration to a particular area. Right now, Texas is experiencing double digit inreases in population and because of it, we're all having to pay higher prices for everything from housing to tolls on roads that had to be built, to tuition at colleges/universities, etc. I'm afraid that the temperament of "Welcome to Texas" is already changing to "Please Go Back to Wherever You Came From, and Don't Come Back". I know that I'm seeing it/hearing it (and feeling it) a lot more than usual! How can Texans not feel this way? Change is good, yes, but massive migration from all over the country like we're experiencing now is NOT GOOD, regardless of what some of you politically correct, wannabee Texans have to say. It's just not true. The problem now is, how do we control it? Our lawmakers need to be the ones to do something. At some point, it's going to be miserable to live here and we're going to be looking to do the same thing half the state of California is doing, looking for somewhere better/cheaper to live. That is going to be a very sad day for those of us that have lived here our whole lives!
I personally don't think it will be the same as the situation in California. I honestly think that someone who moves to Texas and does not "get it" will not be very happy here for long. We're not the type of people to change who we are to make someone else happy. This is Texas, you can either love it or hate it.

I don't think it's possible to control migration to a city unless you just stop building homes. Even that would have negative consequences, though, because it would just drive up the value of homes to the point where only the rich could live here (it's already getting that way despite all the homes being built). Times change.... cities grow and evolve just like people do. It is important to respect the past but it is self-limiting to live in the past. I see no reason why Austin couldn't still be a great place to live, even if it is a much larger, busier and more diverse version of what it used to be. I mean really, Central Austin is still full of weird (but very nice) people. South Austin is still full of middle-class folks who like to barbecue and drink beer on the weekends, Westlake is still full of pretentious rich people (it was like that way before the Californians showed up), so on and so forth. Yeah, it really sucks that places like Southpark Meadows and Shady Grove are being paved over, but that is life. Just think about how wonderful Southern California was back in the 50s and how many people are sad to see what it has become today. Yet, there are many more people moving out to SoCal today who think it is the most awesome thing in the world.

I think that humans will always look back on the past as a "better time". Hell, I miss the 80s tremendously... I loved everything about that decade: the music, the ridiculous clothes and hair, the crappy cars, the movies, etc. All the greatest memories of my life were during the 80s and I would give anything to live in that world again. It is over, though, and I have moved on to appreciate my life today. Just think of all the people who thought the 70s were better, or the 60s.

Life carries on and we must go with it. You just have to make the best of your situation and live life to the fullest. We just don't have enough time on this planet to worry about what "used to be".

Old 04-17-2008, 01:38 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
I know a person who moved here from the OC in August of 2006, and just sold her house and is hightailing it back there because she didn't like it here. I'm not sure what her problem was...we sort of drifted apart because she was so negative.

But I'm unclear what you would expect the government to do to STOP migration? I'm not asking that in a snarky way, I'm honestly confused.

As a relatively new transplant (just under 2 years), I'm glad I was able to make the move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin