U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 10:41 AM

75 posts, read 85,829 times

Advertisements

We moved here four years ago and had a heck of a time finding a subdivision that allowed your RV, boat, or trailer to be parked on the side or back of your property. We finally found a subdivision, in Burnet County, called Whitewater Springs near Bertram that allowed travel trailers, RV's, etc. to park in the back of your property.
Here is the website for our Homeowners Association if you have been looking for a place with some allowances. https://wwspoa.com/why-we-love-our-community/

We have several friends that will be retiring soon and would love a smaller home with additional RV pad or the ability to park by their home in the Austin area. It would be so helpful if some of you would list places that you know will allow RV's and boats to be parked on the homeowners property. Please don't list storage facilities because most of us enjoy having the convenience of loading and leaving from our homes. Some of us have tried storage facilities and found mice infestations and vandalism a common problem. Thank you for any suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 09:02 PM

7,117 posts, read 12,582,930 times
I have friends that live in brushy creek that keep their mobile home on site. You can also do it anywhere in austin without deed restrictions as long as it is not visible from the street.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 PM

304 posts, read 618,087 times
Thank God for HOA's...
your poor neighbors who have to look at a RV....

Old 05-19-2019, 11:46 PM

3,835 posts, read 5,710,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I have friends that live in brushy creek that keep their mobile home on site. You can also do it anywhere in austin without deed restrictions as long as it is not visible from the street.

.......and if it if visible from the street in Austin it can be reported to Code Enforcement by calling 311 or using the app.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:48 PM

1,835 posts, read 2,325,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
.......and if it if visible from the street in Austin it can be reported to Code Enforcement by calling 311 or using the app.
I didn't think visibility was the issue, if you're storing an RV, it has to be behind a six foot fence (most RV's are way taller than six feet so some part of it will remain visible). A neighbor of ours was able to get an exemption by getting the signatures of all his neighbors within a certain radius stating that they were ok with it, though I don't know how common that is.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:44 PM

13,852 posts, read 30,700,805 times
§ 25-2-893 - accessory uses for a principal residential use.
Quote:
[...]
(7)up to two vehicles that are either antique or recreational vehicles may be stored on the premises, if the storage area is not a health hazard and is either in an enclosed building or screened from public view with a solid wood or masonry fence at least six feet high.
§ 25-1-21 - definitions
Quote:
(93) recreational vehicle means a vehicle or trailer designed for temporary dwelling or recreational purposes, and includes travel trailers, pick-up campers, camping trailers, motor coach homes, converted trucks and buses, boats, and boat trailers.
Quote:
(99) screened means hidden from the view of a person standing at ground level on an abutting site by an architectural or landscape feature that is, or will grow to, at least six feet in height.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:58 PM

75 posts, read 85,829 times
I am not talking about trashy trailers, but nice Rv's or Airstream type trailers. When we lived in Spokane, Washington some of the builders included a trailer size door on the garages so you could park your trailer inside the garage. I would not want to live in a subdivision where neighbors are offended or the HOA rules are so restrictive! I am asking if there are other areas around Austin that allow them.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:09 PM

7,117 posts, read 12,582,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDonna View Post
I am not talking about trashy trailers, but nice Rv's or Airstream type trailers. When we lived in Spokane, Washington some of the builders included a trailer size door on the garages so you could park your trailer inside the garage. I would not want to live in a subdivision where neighbors are offended or the HOA rules are so restrictive! I am asking if there are other areas around Austin that allow them.
Yes and we are telling you as long as there is not an HOA then the above rules apply within the city. There are too many areas to list because places where you can park an RV are all over the entire city.

Outside the city in unincorporated areas, you can do anything you like. For example yucca dr is outside of austin.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:13 PM

234 posts, read 206,270 times
Not here in Lakeway...

Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 PM

3,835 posts, read 5,710,773 times
I can only think of one example where someone actually made a fence around their RV in their front driveway in Austin. Probably because there is no way to do it without it looking really bad.
Another issue is that some Austin homes only have a 25' front setback (often with garage jutting out) so putting a 23-33' Airstream you are almost at the curb and blocking the sidewalk. A third issue is less common in father out areas, but closer to downtown there are those that try to live in the RV or offer short term rental which I believe is also a violation of city code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin