U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 05:29 PM

105 posts, read 125,505 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

You have been so welcoming and helpful to my other posts - and I am hoping you can help.

We are thinking of purchasing out first home (Exciting!!) and we really like a home just off West Gate Blvd, nearest the intersection at slaughter.

The Neighborhood is the Silk Oak/Pheasant Run area.

Great schools, great commute, near downtown and near all the amenities of the southside - beautiful house - I just want to make sure that the neighbourhood is safe, I've looked at some crime maps and it seems ok - the median income of the area seems to be in the 60's to 70's seem to be mainly families - which is what we want.

I just wanted to ask if there are any red flags about this area? We are going to check it out tonight to see what the people hanging around are like (it seems a quiet area, I doubt there will really be anybody - but you never know)

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 08:18 PM

172 posts, read 126,987 times
I grew up at Slaughter & Manchaca and went to Bowie HS. Crime was never much of a concern to us. I moved away from the area 2 years ago, but I doubt it's changed too much. The attendance zones could change, and you'd be right on the edge of the Bowie zone. I'd make sure to be on the west side of West Gate to have a better shot at staying with Bowie.

Bowie is getting renovated over the coming decade. It'll be good as new.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
I grew up at Slaughter & Manchaca and went to Bowie HS. Crime was never much of a concern to us. I moved away from the area 2 years ago, but I doubt it's changed too much. The attendance zones could change, and you'd be right on the edge of the Bowie zone. I'd make sure to be on the west side of West Gate to have a better shot at staying with Bowie.

Bowie is getting renovated over the coming decade. It'll be good as new.
Thanks for replying. Glad that you had a good experience with the area, we just got back from driving around the neighborhood this evening and it looks very peaceful, mainly families etc. Seems like a great place.

We would be west of west gate - is there plans to change the attendance - what is the thinking behind that? and if they were to change where would the likely cut off point be? If we were cut from Bowie, what high schools would we end being in zone of.

Thanks again for the response!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 PM

6,918 posts, read 9,447,289 times
I work in the area (actually within the school system) and you're right, there is a little pocket right by HEB that appears to be a bit shady. But, in comparison to other areas of the city this is a VERY small pocket and can sway those numbers a bit. If you drive past the area you can even miss it. Your kids will go to school with those kids, but generally, this pocket is just working class families doing their best for their kids. You should be more concerned about the Circle C kids with their marijuana laced Juuls.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:54 PM

172 posts, read 126,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
Thanks for replying. Glad that you had a good experience with the area, we just got back from driving around the neighborhood this evening and it looks very peaceful, mainly families etc. Seems like a great place.

We would be west of west gate - is there plans to change the attendance - what is the thinking behind that? and if they were to change where would the likely cut off point be? If we were cut from Bowie, what high schools would we end being in zone of.

Thanks again for the response!
I don't know if it's imminent or anything. But AISD is moving ahead with some consolidations (they haven't said which schools yet). Also, after years of weighing options, AISD bought land in SE Austin for a new HS, but haven't passed a bond for its construction yet. Probably won't for a number of years. Since SE will get the new HS instead of SW Austin, Bowie is getting an influx of $90 million for new Athletics and Fine Arts wings, and parking improvements. They'll get more in a subsequent bond in the future to renovate the rest of the school.

There are 3 HS in South Austin: Bowie (overcrowded), Akins (overcrowded) and Crockett (under utilized). Those 3 schools' attendance zones come together right around the area you're talking about. I've heard about thoughts of adjusting the zones to get Crockett more kids, but there would be a ton of pushback from people in the Bowie zone, so maybe it'll never happen.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I work in the area (actually within the school system) and you're right, there is a little pocket right by HEB that appears to be a bit shady. But, in comparison to other areas of the city this is a VERY small pocket and can sway those numbers a bit. If you drive past the area you can even miss it. Your kids will go to school with those kids, but generally, this pocket is just working class families doing their best for their kids. You should be more concerned about the Circle C kids with their marijuana laced Juuls.
Thanks ashbeeigh - I know the area you're talking about - we had seen it a few times and thought it looked a little run down, but we were just there tonight, and drove around a couple of times and honestly, it really isn't that bad, we didn't see any shady looking characters or teens hanging around, so all good.

The home we are looking at actually zones to Cowan, which appears to have great ratings - and I grew up in a working class family in Ireland, my wife a working class family in South Texas - so we're not worried, we'll fit right in I am sure.

Yeah the rich kids schools, those are the ones where the kids can afford designer drugs, and juuls like you mentioned!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
I don't know if it's imminent or anything. But AISD is moving ahead with some consolidations (they haven't said which schools yet). Also, after years of weighing options, AISD bought land in SE Austin for a new HS, but haven't passed a bond for its construction yet. Probably won't for a number of years. Since SE will get the new HS instead of SW Austin, Bowie is getting an influx of $90 million for new Athletics and Fine Arts wings, and parking improvements. They'll get more in a subsequent bond in the future to renovate the rest of the school.

There are 3 HS in South Austin: Bowie (overcrowded), Akins (overcrowded) and Crockett (under utilized). Those 3 schools' attendance zones come together right around the area you're talking about. I've heard about thoughts of adjusting the zones to get Crockett more kids, but there would be a ton of pushback from people in the Bowie zone, so maybe it'll never happen.
Invaluable information. Thank you. We plan on nurturing our childs curiosity and supplementing her education at home and being involved with the school, but not being annoying hover parents. Regardless of where she ends up, she will do well as parental involvement I believe is the biggest factor. Having said that, when it comes down to it, I think most parents would chose a 9/10 school over a 4 or 5/10 - so hopefully when she is of highschool age, Bowie is still a great school and we are still within its boundaries.

Thanks again

Old 05-25-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:

The home we are looking at actually zones to Cowan, which appears to have great ratings - and I grew up in a working class family in Ireland, my wife a working class family in South Texas - so we're not worried, we'll fit right in I am sure.

Yeah the rich kids schools, those are the ones where the kids can afford designer drugs, and juuls like you mentioned!
Cowan is fabulous and gets overlooked by others, I think, because all the other schools in the area are also fabulous.

As others have mentioned, double check the attendance area for the home. I feel as though a lot of Cowan students go to Covington middle school that pulls from a bit further north and is more middle class then Bailey or Gorzycki middle schools. Then, they’ll head back down to Bowie. The thing, though, is to take advantage of school choice if you have the option. AISD schools (if not overcrowded or closed by administration) are open to transfer, even to out of district families. There was talk of Bailey not taking anymore transfers, but that could change. And then high schools are a bigger deal and I think Bowie and Akins are closed to transfer (I know Bowie is and heard from Bowie staff that Akins is too, but I haven’t confirmed that).

Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Cowan is fabulous and gets overlooked by others, I think, because all the other schools in the area are also fabulous.

As others have mentioned, double check the attendance area for the home. I feel as though a lot of Cowan students go to Covington middle school that pulls from a bit further north and is more middle class then Bailey or Gorzycki middle schools. Then, they’ll head back down to Bowie. The thing, though, is to take advantage of school choice if you have the option. AISD schools (if not overcrowded or closed by administration) are open to transfer, even to out of district families. There was talk of Bailey not taking anymore transfers, but that could change. And then high schools are a bigger deal and I think Bowie and Akins are closed to transfer (I know Bowie is and heard from Bowie staff that Akins is too, but I haven’t confirmed that).
Thanks ashbeeigh - very helpful stuff. Thats what we were thinking too, Cowan looks great. Yup, to Covington and down to Bowie, so it seems like a great setup school wise, and we can always look into transferring schools that are not frozen, but the little one won't be in elementary school until next year - so its a few years away.

Maybe you could help me with this question - how busy does westgate blvd get? the house we are looking at it great, checks all the boxes but it backs on the westgate, the yard is very larger, so there is a bit of space between the house and westgate. You can't hear traffic in the house but can in the yard, its not crazy loud or anything, and I lived near a trainline before so it really doesn't bother me.

I am concerned if we sell this house in say 5-7 years time, we will lose money because its backing onto a busy road - is that a reasonable concern?

I guess in a market like Austin it mightn't be as there is so much demand. Thoughts?

Old 05-28-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks ashbeeigh - very helpful stuff. Thats what we were thinking too, Cowan looks great. Yup, to Covington and down to Bowie, so it seems like a great setup school wise, and we can always look into transferring schools that are not frozen, but the little one won't be in elementary school until next year - so its a few years away.

Maybe you could help me with this question - how busy does westgate blvd get? the house we are looking at it great, checks all the boxes but it backs on the westgate, the yard is very larger, so there is a bit of space between the house and westgate. You can't hear traffic in the house but can in the yard, its not crazy loud or anything, and I lived near a trainline before so it really doesn't bother me.

I am concerned if we sell this house in say 5-7 years time, we will lose money because its backing onto a busy road - is that a reasonable concern?

I guess in a market like Austin it mightn't be as there is so much demand. Thoughts?
The area right by Cowan is leas traffic heavy then the areas further north. I personally wouldn’t buy a house that backs up to a Main Street, but that’s all personal preference. Have you checked the price history on the Travis county appraisal district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin