U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 AM

3,579 posts, read 2,699,223 times

Advertisements

Compared to most cities, Austin treats its homeless population pretty good. I do believe most of those on the street panhandling are homeless by choice. Those who are truly homeless will be working with the city and Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity and other homeless organizations to find them a place to live.

They use to camp out in the woods but now for the last 5 to 10 or so, years they seem to have moved to underneath the over passes on the interstate.

For the past year or two, there has been a camp just north of Wm Cannon on the southbound side of South 1st Street, tucked away in a small cramped space between Arandina's Taqueria and the apartment complex behind it. They have some lawn chairs and blankets and a couch they can lounge on. One day I seen a woman laid up in a man's arms cat-napping in the middle of the afternoon. It's was a pretty gross/disgusting sight to see.

I am surprised that camp is allowed to exist at that location because the "camp" is caddy-corner from Bedichek Middle School and I always see school age kids walking down South 1st right in front of the homeless camp. I can't help but believe if there was a homeless camp that close to Murchison Middle School in NW Austin, that camp would have been closed down within a day after it was set up.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 06-03-2019 at 01:55 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 06-03-2019, 05:58 AM

9,306 posts, read 9,263,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The homeless situation may get worse - think skid row in LA - if a group of city council members have their way.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...-homeless-laws

Hard to believe they are even contemplating this:
"Fully repeal the city’s panhandling ordinance, which bans soliciting money downtown between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. as well as making physical contact or using obscene language while panhandling."

If a panhandler tries to make physical contact with me then certainly I have the right to return the favor.
If that comes to pass, then undoubtedly a few aggressive panhandlers will wind up getting shot.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:38 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,644,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Compared to most cities, Austin treats its homeless population pretty good. I do believe most of those on the street panhandling are homeless by choice. Those who are truly homeless will be working with the city and Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity and other homeless organizations to find them a place to live.

They use to camp out in the woods but now for the last 5 to 10 or so, years they seem to have moved to underneath the over passes on the interstate.

For the past year or two, there has been a camp just north of Wm Cannon on the southbound side of South 1st Street, tucked away in a small cramped space between Arandina's Taqueria and the apartment complex behind it. They have some lawn chairs and blankets and a couch they can lounge on. One day I seen a woman laid up in a man's arms cat-napping in the middle of the afternoon. It's was a pretty gross/disgusting sight to see.

I am surprised that camp is allowed to exist at that location because the "camp" is caddy-corner from Bedichek Middle School and I always see school age kids walking down South 1st right in front of the homeless camp. I can't help but believe if there was a homeless camp that close to Murchison Middle School in NW Austin, that camp would have been closed down within a day after it was set up.
Not sure where you got the impressions camping was going down. I regularly see people pppong out of the woods further south on a.1st near the intersection you mentioned. I regularly go to the off leash area at mar Moore searight park and step over trash and report broken fences from homeless people clipping them to get to the woods. My nextdoor neighbors could go on for a 100 years about the camps on East slaughter and the bluff springs area.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:59 AM

^^

There use to be a fairly large camp in the woods off of Manchaca south of Wm Cannon close to Matthews and the Mopac railroad tracks. I'm sure there is still camps in the woods all over South Austin. Only in the past 10 to 15 years or so they are camping out in the open for the public to see, under overpasses and other camps tucked away in little nooks and crannies near busy intersections like the one I mentioned at on South 1st near Wm. Cannon.

I'm starting to think it's political for reasons I won't get into in this thread. It just seems strange that homeless camps are so out in the open anymore, when as recently as 10 or so years ago, the camps were out of sight and out of mind to the general public.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:12 AM

5,295 posts, read 2,133,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
If that comes to pass, then undoubtedly a few aggressive panhandlers will wind up getting shot.
Just dead curious on this, what are the legal repercussions on shooting a panhandler that makes physical contact? I am definitely against someone being aggressive enough to make physical contact with me and especially the city not advocating our personal rights to safety. That's ridiculous the city would consider something like that.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:24 AM

3,781 posts, read 5,620,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just dead curious on this, what are the legal repercussions on shooting a panhandler that makes physical contact? I am definitely against someone being aggressive enough to make physical contact with me and especially the city not advocating our personal rights to safety. That's ridiculous the city would consider something like that.
Shooting is one thing, but lower levels of response could also be called into question. If someone I didn't know grabbed my wrist my first instinct would be to use my other hand to push them away. If they fall down and hit their head on the pavement and have a brain hemorrhage am I considered at fault? All the things these pollyannas never considered......

Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Shooting is one thing, but lower levels of response could also be called into question. If someone I didn't know grabbed my wrist my first instinct would be to use my other hand to push them away. If they fall down and hit their head on the pavement and have a brain hemorrhage am I considered at fault? All the things these pollyannas never considered......
That's an interesting question that could be hard to prove if there are no witnesses. Sounds like a good reason to wear a body camera for unexpected events that can pop up at anytime.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:24 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,302,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
^^

There use to be a fairly large camp in the woods off of Manchaca south of Wm Cannon close to Matthews and the Mopac railroad tracks. I'm sure there is still camps in the woods all over South Austin. Only in the past 10 to 15 years or so they are camping out in the open for the public to see, under overpasses and other camps tucked away in little nooks and crannies near busy intersections like the one I mentioned at on South 1st near Wm. Cannon.

I'm starting to think it's political for reasons I won't get into in this thread. It just seems strange that homeless camps are so out in the open anymore, when as recently as 10 or so years ago, the camps were out of sight and out of mind to the general public.
For the homeless, maybe it’s because a measure of safety comes with visibility?

Last edited by capcat; 06-03-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 02:12 PM

26 posts, read 7,439 times
Default Blight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I saw an enormous camp in a rural wooded area just off 183 while coming in on approach at AUS a couple weeks ago. It’s big, and it’s widely strewn with garbage. I wonder who owns that land and if they’re aware they have a rogue village springing up.

Nice catch! Pretty sad state of affairs for those within the encampment, and also as you pointed out not exactly a picnic for the land owner either. Wonder if someone like a Franklin D. Roosevelt could have solved this rather complex issue via a public works initiative, FEMA housing, w/substance abuse counselors, mental workers, etc in the mix too.

Breaks my heart in harsh Winter conditions when the cafe I fetch my morning coffee from enforces their No Loitering rule...if & when I can I try to hand over my change to someone as I leave, but a few office friends have warned me to be careful that I'm not inadvertently enabling someone to purchase alcohol. Again, what a complex issue.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,227,542 times
There have been hobo camps throughout American history; homeless living for years along Shoal Creek, near the Steck bridge especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin