U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,738,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
From the Daily Skimm:

What's putting on its hard hat...

Google. Yesterday, the company said it would invest $1 billion to create at least 15,000 new homes in the San Francisco Bay Area. In case you needed to Google it, there are about 45,000 Google employees living in the area. Silicon Valley's been accused of taking the housing and homelessness crisis there from bad to worse. Now, Google is saying 'let's share the wealth' and will be repurposing some of the land it owns for housing. It'll also give money to nonprofits focused on things like homelessness and displacement, and create an investment fund to incentivize developers to build more affordable housing. The timing of this announcement comes as protesters are expected to call out Google's impact on housing during a big shareholder meeting today.
SV is going to have to become like mining towns where the company builds the housing for its employees. Right now a lot of google employees are living in RVs parked in industrial parks where they are less likely to be towed.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 AM

8,076 posts, read 4,308,774 times
Yea, I was just back home (SF) for a good long visit and honestly, the changes are startling. My BFF took me down a street where a bunch of small auto shops have always been and one side of the street is LINED now for several miles with decrepit RV’s, campers, and vans. The air literally reeks of urine. I was born and raised there - lived there for 38 years - and homeless populations always existed. It was not out of the ordinary.

What we are seeing today is different. Very different. It’s not just a homeless population - it’s a goddamn colony.

Not sure when I’ll go back. It’s becone too depressing.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Yea, I was just back home (SF) for a good long visit and honestly, the changes are startling. My BFF took me down a street where a bunch of small auto shops have always been and one side of the street is LINED now for several miles with decrepit RV’s, campers, and vans. The air literally reeks of urine. I was born and raised there - lived there for 38 years - and homeless populations always existed. It was not out of the ordinary.

What we are seeing today is different. Very different. It’s not just a homeless population - it’s a goddamn colony.

Not sure when I’ll go back. It’s becone too depressing.
Fortunately the weather is nice enough there that they can park along the street and don't need electricity. If they have propane they can cook foods and just keep the windows open for ventilation. The only problem of course is the septic systems. I imagine the men just whiz along the street so they don't waste water. For #2 I suppose they wait until it's filled up and find a dumping spot or maybe they illegally dump in some of the creeks. I don't know.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:07 AM

8,076 posts, read 4,308,774 times
I was one Californian ready and happy to become a Texan back in ‘08 when I moved here. The writing was on the wall. I watch my remaining friends and family there living in a never-ending cycle of increased taxation, dissipative living, and filth ... and paying such an obnoxious premium to do so. One by one though they are cashing out and lighting out for new territory. It’s terribly sad. I enjoyed such an idyllic childhood and young adulthood there. I swear nothing will turn a lib more conservative than living a little too long in a place like that.

Please please please don’t let it happen here, too. I just paid off my mortgage and don’t ever want to move again.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I was one Californian ready and happy to become a Texan back in ‘08 when I moved here. The writing was on the wall. I watch my remaining friends and family there living in a never-ending cycle of increased taxation, dissipative living, and filth ... and paying such an obnoxious premium to do so. One by one though they are cashing out and lighting out for new territory. It’s terribly sad. I enjoyed such an idyllic childhood and young adulthood there. I swear nothing will turn a lib more conservative than living a little too long in a place like that.

Please please please don’t let it happen here, too. I just paid off my mortgage and don’t ever want to move again.
Oddly enough I was a conservative when I moved to CA in the mid 90's and was a liberal when I left. I was comparing life in Louisiana to life in California and came to the conclusion the liberal philosophy produced a better economy than a conservative philosophy. Progressive ideals seem to foster innovation and creativity. Taxes are a side effect.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:54 PM

11,712 posts, read 11,465,111 times
Just when I thought I wouldn't have to deal with homeless people anymore since we've relocated to the newer area by Trader Joes....nope. It's just crazy....it's like every block there's people just wandering around, sleeping on the sidewalk.... Forget about sitting on benches. makes that position working for Wilco even more appealing sometimes.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,069,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Just when I thought I wouldn't have to deal with homeless people anymore since we've relocated to the newer area by Trader Joes....nope. It's just crazy....it's like every block there's people just wandering around, sleeping on the sidewalk.... Forget about sitting on benches. makes that position working for Wilco even more appealing sometimes.
Which Trader Joe's location? I think Austin has more than one.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:39 PM

896 posts, read 993,172 times
Areas that rarely had any homeless are turning into camps.. all down 183. When we first moved here I never used to see people under the bridges on every corner.. now.. forget about it man: Austin’s becoming California. The city has so much potential too that’s the saddest part about it.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:11 PM

30,418 posts, read 17,807,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
No guarantee that the panhandlers ARE homeless. You could certainly have a place to live and still stand on the roadside asking for money.
Like this?

https://ktxs.com/news/local/non-home...rom-wheelchair

Old 08-05-2019, 07:22 AM

852 posts, read 671,508 times
My wife reports that her coworkers going to her office on 7th street have reported seeing people naked and showering in fountains and brushing their teeth in the fountains. What a bleep hole Austin is becoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin