U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 08:39 AM

8,469 posts, read 14,461,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Which Trader Joe's location? I think Austin has more than one.
I'm guessing Seaholm.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 AM

9,336 posts, read 9,271,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
My wife reports that her coworkers going to her office on 7th street have reported seeing people naked and showering in fountains and brushing their teeth in the fountains. What a bleep hole Austin is becoming.
Yes it is. Thanks to Adler and his city council cohorts, not to mention those who reelect them.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:38 PM

1,995 posts, read 1,034,967 times
Default I pray we never experience homelessness like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D9pZEjSxXQ

Old 08-07-2019, 04:22 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,069,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
No guarantee that the panhandlers ARE homeless. You could certainly have a place to live and still stand on the roadside asking for money.
BINGO! I just read about a cop in Abilene, TX, who's police department homeless outreach team learned a few things about a regular "homeless" panhandler. Guess what? The "homeless panhandler" was being dropped off in the morning and picked up at night for his "panhandling shift." This guy even used a prop, a wheelchair, that he didn't need, as well as a residence on the south side of the city. He wasn't disabled, he wasn't homeless, and he makes about $1,000 every weekend. There are a lot of these scammers who have decided that panhandling is better money (tax free) than working a regular job and paying taxes.

Oops, just saw this story about Abilene was posted earlier in the thread. Sorry for the duplication.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...sdu-story.html

Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 PM

198 posts, read 416,637 times
I had my property tax protest this morning. About 200+ people were crammed into a smallish room awaiting their turn to be heard by a panel who might or might not relieve their property tax burden. It was creepy, Orwellian, inconvenient, uncomfortable, and terrifying all at the same time. Subject for another thread. What also struck me was the chatter in the crowded waiting room. Almost all the conversations I overheard were complaints about the incredibly high property taxes here, and about the City Council's recent ordinances around the permissions for the homeless. Folks are NOT HAPPY about those new ordinances. And there was an energy about it. If I was a council person who supported those new ordinances, I would worry about the next election.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:00 PM
bu2

13,546 posts, read 7,820,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Not quite true? Let's be clear so there is no confusion - I was not lieing or spreading any kind of untruths or distorting any facts in the post of mine that you quoted. Everything I said was 100% true. It absolutely was budget cuts under Reganomics when the panhandlers/ homeless started showing up at busy intersections in Austin with "will work for food" signs. It wasn't only in Austin they started doing that, but in other Sunbelt Cities as well, such as Phoenix and Houston. Panhandlers at busy intersections with "will work for food signs" was a mid 80's phenomenom in America under Reagan and budget cuts due to Reganomics, and that is part of his legacy. And there was alot of people being released pre maturely from mental hospitals around that time, too.

That stuff you were talking about in your 2nd and 3rd paragraph (that I did not quote in this post) may be true but nothing in it changes the facts of anything I said.
Total nonsense as far as Austin. They have been in Austin forever. Last time I was in Austin, I could have sworn one of those guys I used to see in the 70s.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 AM

9,336 posts, read 9,271,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I had my property tax protest this morning. About 200+ people were crammed into a smallish room awaiting their turn to be heard by a panel who might or might not relieve their property tax burden. It was creepy, Orwellian, inconvenient, uncomfortable, and terrifying all at the same time. Subject for another thread. What also struck me was the chatter in the crowded waiting room. Almost all the conversations I overheard were complaints about the incredibly high property taxes here, and about the City Council's recent ordinances around the permissions for the homeless. Folks are NOT HAPPY about those new ordinances. And there was an energy about it. If I was a council person who supported those new ordinances, I would worry about the next election.
Read last Thursday’s Chronicle article about the homeless. The author cherrypicked a couple and talked about how they are the victims of the system, and intimated that the citizen & business opposition to the new camping/panhandling rules is minimal, the organizing group is suspect, and soft pedaled the reaction in general. In other words, what are the taxpayers & neighborhoods complaining about?

Old 08-09-2019, 11:22 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,069,169 times
Good photo of "urban camping" in Austin.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...ivate-property

Old 08-09-2019, 01:36 PM

1,358 posts, read 1,201,017 times
Default Mixed economy is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The problem is not caused by a free market, it is caused by govt regulation. Namely zoning, permitting, etc.

If the market was allowed to operate freely, there would be plenty of affordable homes.
I do not agree with you.

I would have to ask rhetorically "who are you?" Not that you need to tell me but I suspect many extreme free market fans are the ones making a great deal of money and so you want things to continue the way they are.

"If the market was allowed to operate freely," and how would that work? it is a hypothesis made from hot air. an you point to any country similar in size and ethnic complexity as the US where that has worked? No, I bet you can't.

Meanwhile people suffer.

Mixed economy is best.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:39 PM

1,358 posts, read 1,201,017 times
The homeless problem had nothing to do with Reaganomics from Ronald’s terms as president in the 1980s. Look instead at the psychiatrists themselves..... and the drug companies.[/quote]

It seems to me it was both things. While I did not become homeless due to Reagan he did take away my student grants because I made too much money. I was supporting my parents a bit that year with rent but the receipts I submitted as proof and the medical bills I had were denied. I think I made 7k or 9k-so no more grants for me.

Just loans-which I paid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin