Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Upon further review, it has really fizzled up north ; but nasty stuff between downtown and San Antonio again this morning.
Did it hit? I left Austin @ 2pm. I'm typing from someplace between Jackson and Meridian Mississippi now. Will probably be in Atlanta at 4am. Will be back in Austin by Sunday.

Property owners are taking care of the roof and cieling.

I was due to be in Atlanta this Friday anyway so I basically just left early and will spend the rest of the week there. Plus I have pets and not sure if insurance will take care of that in a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 11:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Did it hit? I left Austin @ 2pm. I'm typing from someplace between Jackson and Meridian Mississippi now. Will probably be in Atlanta at 4am. Will be back in Austin by Sunday.

I was due to be in Atlanta this Friday anyway so I basically just left early and will spend the rest of the week there. Plus I have pets and not sure if insurance will take care of that in a hotel.
Good news is you will miss rush hour in Atlanta!!! That's a heck of a drive. Hope you stayed awake!

I don't think there was any more rain; but it got nasty sticky mid-late afternoon!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:18 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:

For future reference. Yes, pet care expenses are covered.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Good news is you will miss rush hour in Atlanta!!! That's a heck of a drive. Hope you stayed awake!

I don't think there was any more rain; but it got nasty sticky mid-late afternoon!
Less than 2 hours from Atlanta now. The thought of hitting Atlanta during rush hour is what kept me awake

Old 06-18-2019, 04:32 AM

And now in Atlanta. Barely made it before Rush Hour.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Good luck!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 AM

Back in Austin.

Supposedly they fixed the roof leak but the ceiling itself is still gashed in. They say they've been getting alot of rain and they have to wait for it to dry out before they can fix it. (Which to me doesnt add up since they say the roof itself was repaired.)

One other question, they're claiming the apartment to still be 'livable'. I shut down the power in the unit as there was alot of water coming in and didn't want a short or fire to occur so I didn't stay there. Because it was still 'livable' despite the leaks they are not going to take the days it was leaking off the rent. Personally I'm indifferent over the rent but I am in question as to whether or not it should really be considered livable...water damage can cause mold and can also create an electrical fire hazard... is this really livable?

See what I'm really worried about is this apartment complex may not have the money to make the necessary repairs. While I was in Atlanta I called them 3 times to check the status on the repairs and all 3 they told me they would get back to me and never did until finally the third time I called they said they fixed it, so i came back and the cieling is still gashed in. I can deal with that as long as it doesnt leak.. another thing is they had banks coming into the place inspecting it right after I moved in and it seems they are trying to turn it over to a new bank.

What do I do if it turns out this place is still leaking? Livable or not I'm not going to stay here if I have water coming through my roof. I already know I wont beable to get them to budge, who can I go to if it's still leaking because I will definitely want to cancel my lease.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-27-2019 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 10:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Well, good luck with all that! Doesn't sound like a fun time.

On the plus side, it's better that they didn't close up the ceiling prematurely and have mold develop because it wasn't dried out properly....IF you are going to stay.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the proper contacts for you to make in order to keep yourself "covered".

Old 06-28-2019, 07:41 PM

238 posts, read 365,111 times
Quote:
What do I do if it turns out this place is still leaking? Livable or not I'm not going to stay here if I have water coming through my roof. I already know I wont beable to get them to budge, who can I go to if it's still leaking because I will definitely want to cancel my lease.
https://www.housing-rights.org/repair-rights

I have not done this myself, but researched it heavily during a situation with my previous apartment complex. A certified letter with the complaint/request is the first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin