Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:18 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I was coming down N.Lamar toward Downtown and the skyline took me by surprise. It seems like over the year that I moved here until current that it has gotten alittle bigger... maybe its perception but it is starting to feel like a real city.

Another thing that I found interesting is how Austin's Skyline looks a bit better than San Antonio's in a smaller metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 05:16 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Check out this article from 2017 about the skylinehttps://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/verify/verify-does-this-photo-actually-show-austins-skyline-building-progress/269-447912245 . Id love to see a comparison from 2019, 2017 and now. Need4Camaro, it’s clear you want to live in a sprawling metropolis. It may be “good looking” for you, but others have differing opinions. I the changes kind of break my heart and make me want to term for “old Austin” even if I didn’t move here until 2015.

I grew up with a very different idea of what Austin was in San Antonio (it was a fun college place with great music and some great outdoor spots that I’d go to for a high school student council trip once a year).

Anf Im not sure where you caught a glimpse of the SA skyline but next time you’re up there I’d encourage you to find Fredericksburg road up by 410 and drive it straight downtown the Cypress (search for a restaurant called the Cove it’ll get you there). It is an amazing view of the skyline and one is compare to that of coming from south Austin on Mopac.

I appreciate the progress and growth but air on the side of caution with all this growth.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:45 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Check out this article from 2017 about the skylinehttps://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/verify/verify-does-this-photo-actually-show-austins-skyline-building-progress/269-447912245 . Id love to see a comparison from 2019, 2017 and now. Need4Camaro, it’s clear you want to live in a sprawling metropolis. It may be “good looking” for you, but others have differing opinions. I the changes kind of break my heart and make me want to term for “old Austin” even if I didn’t move here until 2015.

I grew up with a very different idea of what Austin was in San Antonio (it was a fun college place with great music and some great outdoor spots that I’d go to for a high school student council trip once a year).

Anf Im not sure where you caught a glimpse of the SA skyline but next time you’re up there I’d encourage you to find Fredericksburg road up by 410 and drive it straight downtown the Cypress (search for a restaurant called the Cove it’ll get you there). It is an amazing view of the skyline and one is compare to that of coming from south Austin on Mopac.

I appreciate the progress and growth but air on the side of caution with all this growth.
I understand.

For me specifically, I've never lived in a smaller city. Infact the smallest city I have actually ever lived in is Seattle WA. I 'knew' about Austin but never really thought of living there. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it just never crossed my mind. I have always thought of it as a place like Waco or Temple TX before I saw it for the first time in my life. It wasn't until a job relo that I ever thought about moving here and it happened pretty much overnight. I didn't even know it was rated as America's #1 city before I moved here. It was purely for financial reasons. But I wasn't expecting it to be so modern and urban, and that's why it surprises me.

I never saw and dont know much about the Austin that the natives here grew up in asside from that it was a college town.

In a way though some of me does wonder if Austin's rating as #1 is apart of some propaganda agenda to bring more development here.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:41 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
It didn't look all that nice today driving in on 5th and out on 6th(from/to MoPac)...traffic choked down to one lane in parts, shifting closed lanes from one side to the other.
All I could see was construction and cranes

Old 06-22-2019, 08:47 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
A few weeks ago I was coming down N.Lamar toward Downtown and the skyline took me by surprise. It seems like over the year that I moved here until current that it has gotten alittle bigger... maybe its perception but it is starting to feel like a real city.

Another thing that I found interesting is how Austin's Skyline looks a bit better than San Antonio's in a smaller metro.

So you believe the skyline was underwhelming prior to 2017!? Go find some pics of Auston from 1990 and 2000, and you will see there has been TREMENDOUS change. For its size, I'd rank Austin's skyline with any metro area in north America given the architecture, water front and hills to the west.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
For the first time I've noticed, you can see downtown from 45th and Bull Creek(one corner of the new Grove development). All the other cyclists noticed it and I told them you better look now; cause there was a reason they mowed down all the trees!!!
Sure enough, a half a block later you couldn't see anything other than a parking garage(3-5 stories).
Oh, well.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Only recall one parking garage in Austin when I first got here in '59 - it was in the "old" American Bank building just behind Scarborough's (which fronted on Congress). Also, UT didn't have any on campus.

Reposting this pic I took of Cousin Joanne at noontime on a Saturday in the summer of 1959. Looking north up I-35 from just south of the Riverside bridge & the Colorado River. Town Lake did not exist at that time, and the Interstate ended at 1st Street then picked up again at 19th (That's Caesar Chavez and MLK to you noobs). And Cousin Joanne (now 79) does not look like that any more either.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:37 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Only recall one parking garage in Austin when I first got here in '59 - it was in the "old" American Bank building just behind Scarborough's (which fronted on Congress). Also, UT didn't have any on campus.

Reposting this pic I took of Cousin Joanne at noontime on a Saturday in the summer of 1959. Looking north up I-35 from just south of the Riverside bridge & the Colorado River. Town Lake did not exist at that time, and the Interstate ended at 1st Street then picked up again at 19th (That's Caesar Chavez and MLK to you noobs). And Cousin Joanne (now 79) does not look like that any more either.

That is a cool picture. Wow so much just... nothing all up and down that corridor.

Sixty years changes a lot.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Yes, it has changed a bit. When I lived on Elmhurst Drive near that photo-op, it took me 10 whole minutes to drive up to UT and park on San Jacinto by Memorial Stadium to attend classes. maybe less if I made both lights at Riverside and 19th.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
I was wondering why she would want a picture taken on i35 but with no traffic and a nice view, why not. Amazing picture with only a single car...I suppose Travis Heights is on the left.

We were at the Fairmont Hotel last week. Definitely a noticeable addition to the skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin