U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 1,634 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've lurked on this forum for a while, but it's finally time to post!

We are a family of four (with a 4-year-old and a 6-month-old), moving from Houston to Austin later this year. We have been to Austin a few times but can't say we know the city very well. We are very much urbanites and prefer to live in a neighborhood that's walkable and has access to public transit; also, both my wife and I will be employed by UT, so we prefer to be close to campus. At the same time, we would like to be in a neighborhood with a good number of other families with young children, as well as proximity to excellent schools.

Any thoughts about what neighborhoods we should be looking at? Our budget is < $750k for a 3-bedroom with a small amount of outdoor space (we don't need a big lot). We were looking into Mueller but the public school situation doesn't seem great, which I assume means fewer families with school-age children. We are not averse to private schools, so any advice about that would be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 08:42 AM

504 posts, read 1,519,924 times
I think you would be very happy with the Hancock or Hyde Park neighborhoods. Both track to the excellent Lee Elementary (lots of UT employee parents). Very convenient to campus and the UT shuttle. French Place and Cherrywood would also work if nothing in your price range in the previous two.

Last edited by sanmiguel; 06-22-2019 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 10:27 AM

6,928 posts, read 9,454,114 times
If you pick the right side of mueller your school choices are good. If you pick the wrong side then you can try to transfer to the better schools but I’m unaware if Maplewood or Kealing (or Lamar) are closed to transfer. You would want to be west of berkman to get the better schools. This is a pretty common request so try some searching for even mire options. You’re on the right track, with options. Maybe looking west too towards Clarksville May be another option.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:56 AM

7,603 posts, read 4,119,009 times
I highly recommend Allandale. It’s an older but beautifully-kept leafy, shady downtown-ish neighborhood with lots of families. My husband grew up there himself with UT-employed parents, we still own their home there and rent it out to one of our daughters. It’s quite friendly and very walkable.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:36 PM

7,229 posts, read 13,690,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I highly recommend Allandale. It’s an older but beautifully-kept leafy, shady downtown-ish neighborhood with lots of families. My husband grew up there himself with UT-employed parents, we still own their home there and rent it out to one of our daughters. It’s quite friendly and very walkable.

Yes, I second this recommendation!

Old 06-22-2019, 06:41 PM

6,795 posts, read 12,173,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westheimer View Post
Hi all,

We are a family of four (with a 4-year-old and a 6-month-old), moving from Houston to Austin later this year. We have been to Austin a few times but can't say we know the city very well. We are very much urbanites and prefer to live in a neighborhood that's walkable and has access to public transit; also, both my wife and I will be employed by UT, so we prefer to be close to campus. At the same time, we would like to be in a neighborhood with a good number of other families with young children, as well as proximity to excellent schools.

Any thoughts about what neighborhoods we should be looking at? Our budget is < $750k for a 3-bedroom with a small amount of outdoor space (we don't need a big lot). We were looking into Mueller but the public school situation doesn't seem great, which I assume means fewer families with school-age children. We are not averse to private schools, so any advice about that would be helpful too.
Mueller is one of the best places I have ever seen for kids. Kids everywhere, the houses are close together which means it is really easy for kids to know that other kids are out playing. Kids can walk to alamo drafthouse, thinkery, swimming pool etc. Halloween is absolutely insane.

The schools arent great, but with all those rich people, they are working hard to put together their own elementary that primarily services mueller. Once the kids get to middle there is easy access to kealing and lasa magnets. Rumor was mueller kids get auto admitted LASA but I dont know if that is true or not. Mueller feeds into multiple AISD verticals.

Most of the places that are walkable dont have great schools so you almost have to choose.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:39 AM

7,229 posts, read 13,690,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Rumor was mueller kids get auto admitted LASA but I dont know if that is true or not.

HA! that is definitely not true. No one, from any middle school or neighborhood is an auto-admit to LASA! Everyone has to apply and go through the process. The Maplewood-Lamar-McCallum track is a good one but not everyone in Mueller is zoned to that. But you are right that anyone in AISD can apply to the various magnets (Kealing MS magnet, Fulmore MS magnet, Anne Richards 6-12, LASA magnet) and academies (Lamar Fine Arts Academy, Small Green Tech Academy, McCallum Fine Arts Academy, IB at Anderson, and others).

Mueller is another good option, Definitely worth a look, people either love or hat it.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:55 PM

554 posts, read 1,020,788 times
Allandale, Clarksville and Brykerwoods would all be worth looking at.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:15 PM

360 posts, read 539,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Mueller is one of the best places I have ever seen for kids. Kids everywhere, the houses are close together which means it is really easy for kids to know that other kids are out playing. Kids can walk to alamo drafthouse, thinkery, swimming pool etc. Halloween is absolutely insane.

The schools arent great, but with all those rich people, they are working hard to put together their own elementary that primarily services mueller. Once the kids get to middle there is easy access to kealing and lasa magnets. Rumor was mueller kids get auto admitted LASA but I dont know if that is true or not. Mueller feeds into multiple AISD verticals.

Most of the places that are walkable dont have great schools so you almost have to choose.
That is a very irresponsible rumor that you are spreading about LASA. There is absolutely no "auto admit" to LASA. You're inaccurate about "easy access" to Kealing magnet as well. Part of Mueller feeds into Kealing, but it feeds into the academy...not the magnet program which is significantly different. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it is currently harder to get into Kealing magnet than LASA.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 PM

360 posts, read 539,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westheimer View Post
Hi all,

Most of Austin has more of a suburban feel. I'll echo what others have said and suggest Allendale, Brentwood, Rosedale (might be too $$$), and Brykerwoods. Most of the elementary schools in those areas are good. Lamar Middle School has improved pretty significantly since we moved here in 2010. High school is very far away for you, but the kids that we know who are at both Austin High and McCallum like it.

I'm definitely in the camp of not understanding what the hype is about Mueller. It's not really central, the architecture is ugly, and it feels REALLY suburban to me in all the negative ways. As a parent, there is no way I would pay the price that they ask for those homes for the schools that they track to. There are so many better places in Austin to live. The Allendale-Brentwood-Crestview area has so much more character than Mueller. It's still pretty suburban feeling, but nothing like Mueller which just feels so artificial to me (and I live in a master planned community myself...it doesn't try to pretend it's "urban" though).

Last edited by AMJ27; 06-24-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or