U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 545 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are considering building a house with Highland Homes in the Leander area. Has anyone here had any experience building with them before and could let us know if they had a good experience? Do you have any recommendations for things we should look out for with them so we don't get caught off guard? Any advice would be helpful since this is such a big decision!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 02:24 AM

719 posts, read 1,339,365 times
highland homes have a good reputation where we are, as far as i know

Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 AM

109 posts, read 33,815 times
Many posters here have commented that buying with a specific builder doesn't guarantee a well built home, and I am now a believer in that thought. We are under contract for a home and just completed the inspection. The inspector said the home was built so well that he was having problems finding things wrong with it. Our realtor chimed in claiming it was because the builder was known for the quality of workmanship, and the inspector immediately corrected her. He said he has found problems with homes from every builder (and he had inspected other homes with the same builder as ours and had 5+ pages of notes). His comment was it is totally dependent on the supervisor of the home being built (not necessarily the builder). He said some supervisors have a real attention to detail and have quality subcontractors they use. Others do not. I guess a case could be made that certain builders have better supervisors, but I doubt there's really much rhyme or reason to it. And if you look at reviews for most builders, you see mostly one star ratings as people that love their homes seldom leave reviews (you're mostly just getting people that are angry about workmanship problems).

Admittedly, the home we are purchasing is a couple of years old and the inspector said we hit a sweet spot as the original owner probably had any defects taken care of with the new home warranty (and we are the beneficiaries of that).

Old 07-29-2019, 05:29 AM

2,288 posts, read 6,625,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeAJones View Post
Many posters here have commented that buying with a specific builder doesn't guarantee a well built home, and I am now a believer in that thought. We are under contract for a home and just completed the inspection. The inspector said the home was built so well that he was having problems finding things wrong with it. Our realtor chimed in claiming it was because the builder was known for the quality of workmanship, and the inspector immediately corrected her. He said he has found problems with homes from every builder (and he had inspected other homes with the same builder as ours and had 5+ pages of notes). His comment was it is totally dependent on the supervisor of the home being built (not necessarily the builder). He said some supervisors have a real attention to detail and have quality subcontractors they use. Others do not. I guess a case could be made that certain builders have better supervisors, but I doubt there's really much rhyme or reason to it. And if you look at reviews for most builders, you see mostly one star ratings as people that love their homes seldom leave reviews (you're mostly just getting people that are angry about workmanship problems).

Admittedly, the home we are purchasing is a couple of years old and the inspector said we hit a sweet spot as the original owner probably had any defects taken care of with the new home warranty (and we are the beneficiaries of that).

Couldn't me more true! As only one example I performed final inspections on two homes by the same reported reputable builder, exact same design, exact same development, a couple of months apart, two different Build Supervisors, there was a significant difference! One Supervisor had such an eye for detail and the other...well I don't know what happened there. I did the better one after the other and cringed when I signed that second contract. When I got on site it was such a pleasure to inspect that second home! I've encountered this same situation plenty of times even with the area's Builder(s) with less reputation.

The Building Supervisor makes a significant impact and difference on the home's build!

Old 08-12-2019, 02:59 PM

16 posts, read 7,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post

The Building Supervisor makes a significant impact and difference on the home's build!
Does hiring a buyers inspector make a significant difference in the process? Appreciate your insight

Old 08-12-2019, 08:11 PM

2,288 posts, read 6,625,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparam View Post
Does hiring a buyers inspector make a significant difference in the process? Appreciate your insight

Yes a good Inspector can help make a very large difference. There are various items to know and be prepared for to make this happen.
  • There are only three people/groups that have the ability to ensure the Builder performs their job to the required standards for building; the builder themselves, the local City performing any building permit oversight, and the buyer since they have a contract with the Builder to properly build the home. Your Inspector has absolutely no authority over a Builder. The Inspector's job is to seek and properly report on deficiencies in the build. The properly written report is your documentation to approach the builder.
  • You need an Inspector that is willing to take all the time necessary to perform a through inspection to find the deficiencies.
  • You need an Inspector that quotes the various building codes, other standards, and the material/system manufacturer requirements for the installation and use for their materials/systems. Builder's do not care about an Inspector's "opinion" in their reports. However if your Inspector is properly citing the required building standards it becomes more than their "opinion".
  • The buyer needs to be ready to press the Builder to either correct deficiencies noted or have the Builder provide written responses with sane reasoning why a specific issue will not be addressed. Part of pressing the Builder is for the buyer to be ready to address issues with the local permitting authority if the Builder chooses to ignore issues found. The local building authority ultimately works for the buyer and has the authority to stop the build and force the Builder to perform.
One of the major benefits overlooked so many times with having an inspection is what happens if the Builder ultimately does not correct a deficiency that later leads to problems. The inspection and report are now your documentation to pursue the Builder if it comes to that.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or