Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times

Advertisements

Forest Creek in Round Rock has large homes and a golf course. Lots of Dell employees live there and there are some pretty nice homes priced in the ~$500k range or less. With your budget, you have a lot of options. Remember that property taxes are high here at around 2.5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:34 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
At that price point, you have a lot of options, but you should also do some in-depth searching because there are so many options.

The 'reverse commute' does work quite well. Lemonegg is describing a long commute across town, not a reverse commute. Based on your post, you seem to be looking much closer than that anyway, so shouldn't be an issue.

Now, if it was me? I would probably look at Great Hills or Balcones Woods. They are off of 183 near Duval and have easy access to lots of shopping/amenities, good schools, and a manageable commute (mostly 'reverse', looks to be about 20 minutes, several options if there is a wreck/traffic). There are some nice views in that area, although you can easily spend your budget to get them.

If you are willing to give up on the views somewhat, I would look in Brushy Creek. I love the 'old' feel of the neighborhood, at least in the older sections. There is a plethora of houses in the 3,500 to 4,000+ sf range that fit under your prices. What size house are you looking for? There are also some larger lots in areas out there. You might consider remodeling as part of the cost and look at a lower price-point, too.

Views will generally cost you, especially if they are close to amenities.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I believe the Brushy Creek you're talking about is that area in northwest Round Rock adjacent to Cedar Park. The houses are large, older, and on acreage. Some are waerfront lots. 700k-800k is probably the going rate for one of those, though there is one on the market that is more affordable on the water but it is only 2,000 sq ft.

As others have mentioned, Round Rock East (where Dell is located) has some good options as well if you don't want to deal with any commute. Traffic in Round Rock during peak hours has increased quite a bit and will only worsen as more people move here.

In my area, near Forest Creek, there are many Dell or former Dell employees. Homes range from 400k and up. Commute in minutes. There aren't any hill country views or anything, but it is wooded and offers estate sized lots and non-cookie cutter housing stock. Frankly, I've created my own view. My backyard contains lots of various plantings, a dry creek, and paths, all complementing a pool. And still have extra land for just a grassy area. I'd spend $500-550 get a nice house and pocket the rest of the money. Taxes aren't kind here, so you need to think about that. We pay close to 12,000, the amount is just about always increasing absent a cataclysmic event, and we live in a lower property tax area (2.3 percent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin