Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 11:26 AM

19 posts, read 18,337 times

Advertisements

We are moving into Austin and are here now (in hotel). We’ve been looking at homes in the Anderson High School school district. Range up to about 500,000. The selection is terrible! There’s almost nothing livable. We found one we might offer on at 330 but it would probably take another 20-50 to get it decent and its sooo small. Meantime, I’m looking into going far away to the Lake Travis school district. Houses are MUCH nicer and in price range, etc. we plan to let our kids go to school here and finish (they are in 10th and 11th grade) then rent out the house and keep as an investment. I don’t REALLY want to drive all the time to work etc, but....... Anybody have any thoughts? We’ve only been her three days but already driving our real estate agent crazy! ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Yes, I was looking in NW Austin 10 years ago and there wasn't much in that price range then! Don't know what to advise, problem with houses further out is that there is always a newer development just a bit down the road that your rental will compete with. It will also hold down appreciation. For rental location trumps all. Have you run the numbers carefully? I'd look at renting something yourself for two years and then just move on! Real estate is such an inflexible investment, really hard to make it cash flow in Austin.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:26 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
SW Austin and Bowie HS is a possibility or Dripping Springs/DSHS. Both will get you more in your price range. How big are you looking (or how small is your smallest) for a house?

I don't remember all the original location criteria or how set you are on Anderson, though.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:02 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
thats why she should keep using her original thread.

I would have responded, but dont feel like doing the work to find the criteria in the original thread.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:05 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
I would never buy as far out as that under the circumstances you've described. Central location trumps everything.

Your surprise over the Austin real estate market is pretty boggling since people tried to warn you in the multiple threads you've started.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:23 PM

A-Tex, Austin97:

My apologies for clogging up your forum with my three threads. As I am new I did not realize there were such rules. It’s no fun living in a crappy hotel with teenagers and two dogs while looking for a house/job/car without the Hubs. Spent all day dragging the kids around to car dealerships trying not to get screwed on a used car. I just came here for a little support and hopefully some useful information.

The fixer-upper house we are looking at is near Balcones Park, so fairly central. It feeds into Anderson High. It’s a little less than 1700 sqft. 3 beds and “big enough” I guess. I “think” its a nice location.

Also, does anyone know where to look for cars for sale from a private seller?

Thanks for your responses.

Last edited by Tacolicious; 07-26-2019 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Adding to it

Old 07-26-2019, 08:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacolicious View Post
A-Tex, Austin97:

My apologies for clogging up your forum with my three threads. As I am new I did not realize there were such rules. It’s no fun living in a crappy hotel with teenagers and two dogs while looking for a house/job/car without the Hubs. Spent all day dragging the kids around to car dealerships trying not to get screwed on a used car. I just came here for a little support and hopefully some useful information.

The fixer-upper house we are looking at is near Balcones Park, so fairly central. It feeds into Anderson High. It’s a little less than 1700 sqft. 3 beds and “big enough” I guess. I “think” its a nice location.

craigslist

Old 07-26-2019, 10:45 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
A-Tex, Austin97:

It isnt clogging. It is just that there is info that you have given us on the old threads that we can revisit to tailor advice better. When you post at a new thread we are missing that information and it is a pain to go find the old threads and look for it.

are you using austinhomesearch.com and putting anderson high school in the search to filter for homes that feed into it?

If so there is one at 2600 sq ft for 492K in great hills

Old 07-26-2019, 11:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:

IF you have a vehicle in mind, check CarGurus for local private sales as well as dealer inventory.
There is no tax advantage to buying from an individual here in Texas(unlike some other states); but hopefully you can find a good deal. I had success with one vehicle transaction on Craigslist a few years ago.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:44 PM

Thanks guys! I did purchase a car today! Very happy with it. It took basically all day! Now just have to figure out how to return the rental car to the airport and somehow get myself to the dealer to pick it up. Should I take a taxi/Uber? Do they have Uber here?

Now focusing on house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin