Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 10:56 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

1) east side, gentrifying, hip, but still relatively affordable.

2) austinhomesearch.com is the mls listing site for rentals

craigslist is best for roommate type rentals. But even those will usually require an addendum to the leasing agreement.

3) I like verizon

4) you can go for longer, though technically you have a time limit. It is unlikely to be a problem since they cant really prove when you moved.

5) He really should find a job before moving.
As others have said, he is an adult, he should be asking these questions himself.
You will likely have to co sign to rent an apartment. I think it is highly unlikely for him to get an apartment without a source of income.

What kind of job would he be looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 12:14 PM

5,715 posts, read 4,682,005 times
The million dollar question. Why Austin?

Old 07-29-2019, 12:46 PM

31 posts, read 25,509 times
Wait a minute I don’t get it, OP says her son is a homeowner in Florida Since 20 years old? How do you become a homeowner at 20? If your son owns a house in Florida he should be financially stable and why is he moving to Austin? I smell a troll

Old 07-29-2019, 12:58 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryp0tter View Post
Wait a minute I don’t get it, OP says her son is a homeowner in Florida Since 20 years old? How do you become a homeowner at 20? If your son owns a house in Florida he should be financially stable and why is he moving to Austin? I smell a troll
Well, to be honest, I purchased my first condo apartment at 21. It was not a SFH (those are at a premium in NYC), but I was technically a "homeowner" at a very young age. As long as you have a downpayment, stable work history, etc. then age is not a barrier. I do admit that owning was a goal of mine and once I zero in on a goal, hell or high water I'm going to do what needs to be done to get it.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:00 PM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
1)

5) He really should find a job before moving.

This right here. Very hard to get an apartment in Austin without an existing job or a co-signer. Get the offer before coming here.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:02 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina7011 View Post
My 24 year old son has been researching Austin and has decided he wants to move there. He does not have a job there but has a couple potential leads through current customers. He knows no one, which is appealing to him and scary for me. He hopes to have about $10k to get him by until he gains employment. He has a truck he plans on taking but public transportation isn’t out of the question.

1.What areas to rent in would you recommend within commuting distance to downtown that is more economical but safe?

2. Thinking of possibly renting a room first to give him time to get a feel for what area he wants to be in. Besides Craigslist is there a website you recommend that lists rental share opportunities?

3. What cellular provider has best service in the area?

4. If he takes his vehicle, do we have to transfer it to Texas right away or could we keep it registered in our state for a few months or until we know he decides that is where he will stay?

5. Any advice you are willing to share is appreciated, sure there are things we don’t even realize we need to consider. The potential move is from Florida in case that helps.
1/2. Yes, he should rent a room first. Craigslist is probably the best. NYC has a roommate app, but I don't think Austin does. Location doesn't really matter since he doesn't know job location yet. That will determine ultimate best location. He should look anywhere within 8 miles of downtown.

3. Doesn't matter. There is no useful answer to this question.

4. I would wait. If he gets pulled over, and the cop asks if he lives here, he needs to lie and say he is "just visiting". Else if it's been 30+ days he can get a ticket for not updating DL and registration. Once he has a lease with his name on it, and a permanent address instead of just a room, he should update everything.

5. No, he should just launch himself into the unknown and sort it out along the way. My 23 yo daughter just moved to NYC, and other than some financial backup, I let her sort it out on her own and stayed out, though it was extremely hard for me to do so. Help, but don't help too much.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 07-30-2019 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: correct tipos

Old 07-30-2019, 10:27 AM

949 posts, read 571,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
You’re of no value being an rude. If the post was an issue let a moderator handle that. Also, just because there are “similar” posts doesn’t mean it’s exactly the same and meets the need of the OP. Every situation is different and new advice is always helpful especially in a area that’s changing daily like the Austin metro. If you bothers you so much why don’t you just scroll past instead of posting something that adds no value other then ignorance. The internet has a loud a lot of people to feel confident in being rude because they can do it behind a screen.
People are lazy today. No getting around that. It's annoying and unnecessary. There nothing unique about moving here. Prices are readily available and so are maps and data about the city.
The moderators are only here to scold you if you tell the truth.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:49 PM

8 posts, read 6,861 times
Thank you!

Old 07-30-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
You’re of no value being an rude. If the post was an issue let a moderator handle that. Also, just because there are “similar” posts doesn’t mean it’s exactly the same and meets the need of the OP. Every situation is different and new advice is always helpful especially in a area that’s changing daily like the Austin metro. If you bothers you so much why don’t you just scroll past instead of posting something that adds no value other then ignorance. The internet has a loud a lot of people to feel confident in being rude because they can do it behind a screen.
Thank you! Eye opening experience.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
People are lazy today. No getting around that. It's annoying and unnecessary. There nothing unique about moving here. Prices are readily available and so are maps and data about the city.
The moderators are only here to scold you if you tell the truth.
Yes, you are correct, tons of information available, and we have done research. But there is also the belief and hope that one can learn through another ones experiences, why some rely on and leave reviews? I asked specifically about cell service and tag, maybe those items aren’t something you need to consider but have been ones we have had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: