Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 PM

18 posts, read 42,083 times

Advertisements

Hi. Im looking to relocate to Austin. Where is the best place for African Americans in austin, with good school districts, and affordable housing in a nice neighborhood. Im asking because we were a military family, and i know some places we were act, didnt care for african americans. Is austin like this? any info will be helpful? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM

264 posts, read 1,001,180 times
I dont' think Austin is segregated like St.Louis. You can choose to live wherever you want. You will get unhappy people about you living in any neighborhood if you're dirty, don't keep up with your lawn, noisy, etc. I had the unfortunate experience of having a "Katrina evacuee" family move in right across my house into a rental home. Fortunately, they were only there about 4 months but those 4 months were a nightmare. They would be up all night drinking beer/alcohol in the front yard, had the radio going, had many public fights (screaming matches) in the front yard, didn't mow or tend to their lawn, always had company over with more cars there than they had parking places for, so they'd park in front of my house, in the yard, etc., and the police were called out on several occasions. We almost moved out just because of them. We didn't feel safe and we just tried to avoid them at all costs.

The only place I think where there are a lot of black people in a certain area is east Austin, but those are lower income areas with high crime and homeless, for the most part, although it's getting better. Just pick an area you like and can afford and I think you'll be fine. I know a lot of areas in the country are still "segregated", but I don't think Austin is anything like that, at least that's my experience and I've been here 18 years.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Like AustinTexan is saying, Austin doesn't really have African American specific areas as such. People just live wherever next to whomever. Be a good neighbor and more often than not others will reciprocate in kind and be good neighbors back, irregardless of color. Houston and Dallas have larger AA communities. What I mean by that, is that there are larger networks as far as community groups, business owners, etc...

East Austin does have a larger concentration of AA's than West. But he's leaving out East OF Austin, such as towns near where I live (Hutto, which bringing up AA friendly, our mayor is African American). Round Rock, Elgin, Bastrop, Taylor, Georgetown, Manor, Pflugerville. There are nice affordable areas out this way too and with nice amenities (pools, water parks, golf and other sports, also Dell Diamond, which is minor league baseball). Many of the schools are good. The two most highly rated schools are Eanes and Lake Travis Districts (West Austin). Elgin is the only district with not so great schools, but some there are good.

It'll be easier to give you ideas if you provide a little more detail, such as where will you be working? You may want to be sort of close to wherever that may be and we can narrow it down for you better

Old 04-16-2008, 02:43 PM

18 posts, read 42,083 times
Thanks for all the info. Although i am african american, i dont tolerate ghetto things. I can understand why you left if people where not taking care of their home and fighting, and having loud music. I am trying to avoid neighborhoods like that, no matter what color they are.I am a registered nurse, so a hospital close by would be good. I just want my kids to go to a good school, with a mixture of cultures. Thanks again!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Cedar Park (west) and Round Rock (to the East) both opened brand new hospitals. Teravista would be a nearby neighborhood, as would Paloma Lakes, I believe. West, Avery Ranch area is nice. There are a few good hospitals downtown as well. If you like Pediatrics, the Dell Children's Hospital is pretty new, and I believe is closer to Manor (East).

Except for Meuller Development and it's immediately surrounding area, East of 35 downtown I would probably stay away from. Especially as the schools aren't so good. East of 35, but a little North of Austin is absolutely fine. The major differences in East vs. West of 35 is the topography is different, and home prices are lower than west, but that said, there are some very nice neighborhoods up this way.

I'm sure many others can name some different neighborhoods. What I posted is by no means the only thing out there

Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 AM

746 posts, read 3,727,107 times
I believe that economic factors create segregation far more than cultural/prejudices. People will simply live where they can afford to. In Austin's case, no one is forcing anyone to live east of whathaveyou. That just happens to be the only area in a relatively expensive Texas city that folks of moderate means can muster rent/mortgage payments. Obviously, if someone has the means, they can set up stakes anywhere they choose. The larger issue is providing as many people as possible the chance to better and further their economic potential. Until all have those same opportunities, they will be forced to live where they can, and hope to move/do better for themselves in the future.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:55 PM

351 posts, read 336,518 times
If you are looking for good schools and great family oriented neighboorhoods and activities I would say Lake Travis. We moved up here this past year as our oldest started kinder and we love it. We looked at Dripping Springs, but it was just to far out for simple things like a good grocery store, theatre etc. Westlake is in Eanes and I will debate anyone on whether it is Superior to Lake Travis ISD (bigger yes but Westlake lost some ground in test scores this year). Westlake is still considered by some old timers to be the top before you go into private schools but you will pay in taxes and higher home prices. Lake Travis has $$'s from $225,000 up to $15 million depending on your range. Plus you have the Lake, World of Tennis, Lakeway Swim Center, we are getting a new Hospital and the New Galleria. Now if we could just get some new food places we would never have to go into Austin.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:33 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
Now if we could just get some new food places we would never have to go into Austin.
I am by no means a Lakeway hater - I love it - we eat at Cafe Lago every weekend for breakfast, and their tennis teams are great - I play them every season! BUT.... if you are going to spend a good chunk of change to live in Austin metro v. other Texas cities, don't you want to actually experience Austin instead of avoid it and live in a bubble? There are a lot of other metro areas to live in that are cheaper and have great suburban enclaves if one desires never to go "downtown."

Just my two cents, though! Again, not knocking you, to each his own, I guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin