Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 04:19 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times

Advertisements

He lasted 6 months. I guess he finally found a city not ok with his getting "out of his lane" and grandstanding.

I liked him ok in Austin but always thought there was something "off" about his manner, and that he was an attention seeking "climber". He was in Houston after Austin where he raised eyebrows every now and then there as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...acevedo-fired/

Last edited by austin-steve; 10-18-2021 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 04:47 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
He lasted 6 months. I guess he finally found a city not ok with his getting "out of his lane" and grandstanding.

I liked him ok in Austin but always thought there was something "off" about his manner, and that he was an attention seeking "climber". He was in Houston after Austin where he raised eyebrows every now and then there as well.

I think he made alot of enemies in Miami by firing 5 or 6 high ranking police employees on his 1st day or 1st week he was on the job. My guess is the people he fired were well liked and well respected by most of the higher-ups as well as the lower level employees, ànd by firing them he really pi$$ed off alot of people, so they were just looking for a reason to get rid of him. I never have heard of a police chief getting fired only 6 months into the job. I liked Acevedo. I'd like to see him come back to Austin but I doubt he would ever do that. It would probably be embarrassing for him. I àlways thought he had political ambitions and these police chief gigs are just stepping stones. Now that he has "fired" on his resume, it will be interesting to see what he decides to do next. I wish him the best.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:41 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
I have some Miami friends who are pretty convinced he got fired because he would not take directions from corrupt city officials. They left years ago due to crooked politics (they do still own some commercial properties there, though). I have not followed it personally and don't know much about Miami politics.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:23 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I have some Miami friends who are pretty convinced he got fired because he would not take directions from corrupt city officials. They left years ago due to crooked politics (they do still own some commercial properties there, though). I have not followed it personally and don't know much about Miami politics.

Yeah, I've never thought of Miami as a corrupt place, like Chicago, NYC, etc, but that makes sense. If that's the case, the rooting out needs slow, plodding, quiet investigation and building of facts, not overt firings out of the gate.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:00 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've never thought of Miami as a corrupt place, like Chicago, NYC, etc, but that makes sense. If that's the case, the rooting out needs slow, plodding, quiet investigation and building of facts, not overt firings out of the gate.
Now, this is from Acevedo, but seems to follow what my friends have said is 'typical' Miami politics:
Quote:
Acevedo began clashing with the police union almost immediately after his April swearing-in, by taking over internal affairs and making significant changes to his command staff. He demoted four majors and fired two high-level police officers — a married couple — because they weren’t truthful about a crash involving a city-issued SUV.

In an eight-page memo, Acevedo also accused city commissioners of meddling in the police department and internal investigations.

"I've never experienced, as a police executive, what I've experienced here, which was really elected officials inserting themselves in operations, inserting themselves in the work of the department in terms of our priorities and how we should proceed with investigations," Acevedo told NBC News.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:14 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,259,905 times
Quote:

He's a politician, not a police leader. His handling of the 2016 police shooting was the epitome of kowtowing to the mob vs any sense of doing what's "right".

Old 10-19-2021, 09:34 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
He's a politician, not a police leader. His handling of the 2016 police shooting was the epitome of kowtowing to the mob vs any sense of doing what's "right".
Ayep. Good riddance to that showboating turd.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:42 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
What is this "mob"? You mean outraged community leaders over a police shooting?

I don't support what Acevedo did but I don't consider people outraged about such a killing part of a "mob". Sorry. It was an unfortunate incident for both parties involved, but I believe during that time period (plus or minus some years) there were quite a few officer involved deaths.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:40 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,259,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What is this "mob"? You mean outraged community leaders over a police shooting?

I don't support what Acevedo did but I don't consider people outraged about such a killing part of a "mob". Sorry. It was an unfortunate incident for both parties involved, but I believe during that time period (plus or minus some years) there were quite a few officer involved deaths.
In this case the "mob" are the folks who automatically assumed negligent/criminal guilt on the part of the officer and demanded action based on that assumption. As the Chief of Police, he should appreciate better than most folks the notion of "due process" and to not to throw one of your own employees under the bus without it.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:52 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
In this case the "mob" are the folks who automatically assumed negligent/criminal guilt on the part of the officer and demanded action based on that assumption. As the Chief of Police, he should appreciate better than most folks the notion of "due process" and to not to throw one of your own employees under the bus without it.
Given the climate of the time, you can't really blame those people can you? If enough incidents happen, a distrust is formed, even with unfortunate cases like that, and people aren't going to give the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn't consider them a 'mob'.

I will agree that Acevedo is the chief of police and was unwise to interject as he did. Though I personally feel that a chief has every right to "throw one of his own employees under the bus" if the situation merits it. I am not a supporter of the line of blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin