Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 07:47 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS1 View Post
Many have chosen to move on. In fact 53.3 per cent of the people that have moved to Sun City have moved on. That works out to an average turnover rate of 5.55 per cent per year. This can be verified if you can get the HOA's records.

Thinking about buying a new car? You can get objective reviews on cars from Edmonds.com or a variety of other objective sources.

Thinking about buying into Sun City. Or real estate in general. Forget about finding any objective reviews of the pros and cons of living in the community. Or the real estate industry in general.

This site is the only place that I know of where a potential buyer, as well as the current residents, can get both sides of the story. It is important that they know the pros and cons of living in Sun City.

Every post that I have logged can be fact checked. Everyone!
Given your mostly negative opinion of all things Sun City, I have to wonder why you live there? If I felt even half of the negative things you write about the place, I would be looking for another place to live that makes me happier or where I feel I fit in better. I always wonder about people who incessantly complain about their circumstances, but never do anything differently to improve them.

I mean, wouldn't you rather be in a place that makes you want to sing it's praises, rather than constantly denounce it? Just sayin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 07:50 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,052,648 times
Quote:
Many have chosen to move on. In fact 53.3 per cent of the people that have moved to Sun City have moved on. That works out to an average turnover rate of 5.55 per cent per year. This can be verified if you can get the HOA's records.

Every post that I have logged can be fact checked. Everyone!
What percentage of those who "move on" do so because they age out and have health reasons, or they die? In order for your "facts" to be meaningful, we'd need to know what percentage leave due to dissatisfaction.

5.55% turnover is actually low. You may not know that. Many residential neighborhoods have turnover above 10%. 5-8% is typical turnover ratio. Below 5% is unusual.

So, according to your own facts, and assuming a great number of those who move on do so involuntarily because of age/health related reasons, Sun City demonstrates a resident retention rate much higher than normal, if not among the highest.

What does that tell us about Sun City?

Steve

Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
What percentage of those who "move on" do so because they age out and have health reasons, or they die? In order for your "facts" to be meaningful, we'd need to know what percentage leave due to dissatisfaction.

5.55% turnover is actually low. You may not know that. Many residential neighborhoods have turnover above 10%. 5-8% is typical turnover ratio. Below 5% is unusual.

So, according to your own facts, and assuming a great number of those who move on do so involuntarily because of age/health related reasons, Sun City demonstrates a resident retention rate much higher than normal, if not among the highest.

What does that tell us about Sun City?

Steve
This is a good question. Why do people leave SC? I have observed 4 reasons that near-by neighbors have left:

1. The homeowner died and their estate is selling the house.
2. One spouse has died, and the remaining spouse doesn't feel able to take care of the property alone, so is downsizing to a simpler living situation, moving to assisted living, or moving to be nearer family.
3. The homeowner(s) is reaching a life stage, or has suffered a debilitating health event, and they feel they need to be closer to family/caregivers who can assist.
4. The homeowner can't afford to live there anymore for personal financial reasons.

Those seem to be the primary reasons for leaving that I've been privileged to know about. I haven't heard of people leaving just from pure dissatisfaction with SC, although given the large population of SC, I'm sure that circumstance does exist.

It would be interesting if someone had done a study on this topic, though I doubt those stats are readily available.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:34 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,052,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
This is a good question. Why do people leave SC? I have observed 4 reasons that near-by neighbors have left:

1. The homeowner died and their estate is selling the house.
2. One spouse has died, and the remaining spouse doesn't feel able to take care of the property alone, so is downsizing to a simpler living situation, moving to assisted living, or moving to be nearer family.
3. The homeowner(s) is reaching a life stage, or has suffered a debilitating health event, and they feel they need to be closer to family/caregivers who can assist.
4. The homeowner can't afford to live there anymore for personal financial reasons.

Those seem to be the primary reasons for leaving that I've been privileged to know about. I haven't heard of people leaving just from pure dissatisfaction with SC, although given the large population of SC, I'm sure that circumstance does exist.

It would be interesting if someone had done a study on this topic, though I doubt those stats are readily available.
I'll bet the local Realtors who list/sell a lot of homes know the top 3 reasons off the top of their head. I don't work that area, and only helped one buyer buy there because her daughter is a client of mine and referred her.

But I'll bet the reasons for leaving would line up with your anecdotal observations because SC is for most the penultimate "life stage" move, and perhaps the final for the "independent" stage of life.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:45 AM

55 posts, read 154,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
5.55% turnover is actually low. Steve
Comparing the turnover rate of Sun City to a typical Texas neighborhood is akin to comparing apples to oranges.

Typical neighborhood turnover is driven by job changes, divorces, marriages, family expansion, income growth, etc. These drivers don’t exist at Sun City.

The reasons people move away from Sun City varies. Some of the turnover is driven by deaths and illness, although there are no published numbers detailing the turnover drivers. The drivers include people who move back home after a year or two because they miss their family, don't like the summer heat, want a more diversified community, don’t like the restrictions, are bored, etc.

Five of the fifteen houses on my block have turned over since I moved here. None of them were because the residents died or had a major illness.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Given your mostly negative opinion of all things Sun City... I mean, wouldn't you rather be in a place that makes you want to sing it's praises, rather than constantly denounce it? Just sayin...
Had you read my comments carefully, you would have seen that I have said Sun City has many positive features, i.e. neat, clean, safe, heaps of things to do, nice people – for the most part, etc. But I have never looked at the world through rose colored glasses. It has its downsides, and I have discussed them. Not only the downsides of the community. But the downsides of the surrounding area. Because when one moves to Sun City, they get Georgetown and Williamson County.

All of my views – positive and negative - are supported by data. If you or anyone reading my comments knows where to find them! And takes the time to look them up! Which most people don't! For example, with respect to my comments regarding electric rates in Georgetown, the information can be verified with Georgetown Utilities and PowertoChoose.com.

People considering a move to Sun City should do so with their eyes and ears open. They should ask the sales agents hard questions about the upsides and downsides of living in the community.

Move! Sweet music to the ears of a real estate agent. Let's see. If I sold my house, assuming that I used a real estate agent, he would reap approximately $11,250 in real estate fees. The title agency would get another $1,800. The building inspector would get $350 to $500. And worst of all, the HOA would get a transfer fee of hundreds of dollars. For nothing in return! Because I would be leaving and would get nothing from the transfer fee. Then I would have to pay a mover $800 to $2,000 to move my stuff. No wonder sell, sell, sell is the mantra of real estate agents.

This has been my first experience with an HOA. It will be my last. If you think my views are unusual, I suggest you Google HOAs. There is a plethora of comments from people around the county who have had bad experiences with HOA.

Last edited by JPS1; 10-30-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-31-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Had you read my comments carefully, you would have seen that I have said Sun City has many positive features, i.e. neat, clean, safe, heaps of things to do, nice people – for the most part, etc. But I have never looked at the world through rose colored glasses. It has its downsides, and I have discussed them. Not only the downsides of the community. But the downsides of the surrounding area. Because when one moves to Sun City, they get Georgetown and Williamson County.

All of my views – positive and negative - are supported by data. If you or anyone reading my comments knows where to find them! And takes the time to look them up! Which most people don't! For example, with respect to my comments regarding electric rates in Georgetown, the information can be verified with Georgetown Utilities and PowertoChoose.com.

People considering a move to Sun City should do so with their eyes and ears open. They should ask the sales agents hard questions about the upsides and downsides of living in the community.

Move! Sweet music to the ears of a real estate agent. Let's see. If I sold my house, assuming that I used a real estate agent, he would reap approximately $11,250 in real estate fees. The title agency would get another $1,800. The building inspector would get $350 to $500. And worst of all, the HOA would get a transfer fee of hundreds of dollars. For nothing in return! Because I would be leaving and would get nothing from the transfer fee. Then I would have to pay a mover $800 to $2,000 to move my stuff. No wonder sell, sell, sell is the mantra of real estate agents.

This has been my first experience with an HOA. It will be my last. If you think my views are unusual, I suggest you Google HOAs. There is a plethora of comments from people around the county who have had bad experiences with HOA.
I agree with a lot that you say here. Selling/buying property is expensive! Money is just blowing out the door and not a damn thing you can do about it, except go the FSBO route, which I do not have the required knowledge to do.

My remark about moving if you don't like it here, was admittedly frivolous. You can't always just pull up stakes and move. I delayed moving for years in my last property just because of the hit we all took around 2008-09, which took years to recover. I planned to own that house for no more than 5 years, and instead ended up staying for 10, waiting for home values and the job market to recover. I no longer liked the neighborhood and was ready to go after 5 years. But, as they say, even the best-laid plans can get waylaid by unforeseen events.

Also, don't depend on sales agents to answer "hard questions re: upsides/downsides". I found that they are quick to tell you the rosy side, while not mentioning some of the downsides to make a sale. So you have to try and ferret out that info as best you can (buyer beware applies here).

I would like to have rented in SC for at least 6 months before buying, but the rental prices and fees were crazy high in my opinion, and would have had to move twice (no thanks), so just decided to take a chance and buy. I've been pleasantly surprised for the most part, luckily. But... I too will think long and hard before paying a HOA fee of this size again, though as HOA fees go, this one is still pretty reasonable. I am not a golfer, so question how much of my money goes to upkeep of the courses. I would have preferred that this SC community not be a golfing community, just because I have no interest in golf and am not thrilled to be paying for it's maintenance, as a non-user. Though I must admit, they are pretty to look at, and the beautiful landscaping was a big draw for me, so I don't really regret supporting them. I envy the great fun many of my neighbors are enjoying, playing the courses.

However, I did not do my homework on how the HOA fees and golf courses' expenses are related. The information was there, I just didn't look close enough to see it. Not sure it would have changed my decision to move there, but I would have arrived with a much more realistic view of the fiscal "big picture".

I also wonder how properties in retirement communities such as SC, will appreciate compared to the rest of the real estate community. Would anyone care to comment on that? I worry that they won't appreciate as well, but don't have facts on that one way or the other.

Aside from any SC issues, I'm getting fed up with the the wicked-high property taxes in Williamson/Travis counties. When I finally do retire and am not dependent on being in or near a job-producing metropolis, I can see myself moving to a small, more affordable area, with no HOA fee.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:43 AM

"I also wonder how properties in retirement communities such as SC, will appreciate compared to the rest of the real estate community."

The price of my house has increased 53 per cent since I moved to Sun City. This is based on an estimate from a real estate agency of what I probably could get for the house if I placed it on the market. However, if it were not for the fact that the developer keeps expanding the community, I might be able to get even more for it.

Sounds like a dramatic run-up in the value of my house. However, after subtracting property taxes, HOA dues, maintenance, and a potential transfer fee, the average annual return, after adjusted for inflation, would be 3.56 per cent.

For now it appears that property in retirement communities is appreciating along with the general run-up in the value of housing in most communities. What happens, however, after the boomers have worked their way through the constrictor is problematic.

The current interest in retirement communities is being fuel by the large numbers of baby boomers that are retiring. But this is a demographic anomaly. The key question is what happens to the demand for retirement housing once the boomers are gone. Will there be enough people retiring to soak up the housing that was constructed for the boomers?

Old 11-10-2016, 07:52 PM

Recently the Sun City Texas Community Association Board of Directors invited the residents to submit their comments regarding the proposed 2017 budget. What has been the response to carefully thought out questions? None! Which is typical!

Old 12-14-2016, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,799 times
Default Home Sweet Home?

Reading these threads reminds me of my own HOA. Folks complain, but when voting time comes around in January, we never have a quorum and the old board signs on for, yet another, year.

My HOA is $65 (sigh) but we have no amenities. I pay $500 for a local gym membership and, if my husband joins, we will pay just under a thousand per year. That, alone, covers the SC HOA- but you get a lot more! Even better, you don't have to wait for gym equipment while some millennial texts or talks on a cell!

I don't think any community is perfect. If it were, we would be there or, at least, be on the waiting list to get in. Nothing run by humans is going to be perfect. We have to decide how much we, individually, can handle. 55+ communities are everywhere, and I am sure you will hear the same (or similar) complaints from all. A lot has to do with your personality/preferences.

I have, for the most part, lived under the management of a HOA for the past 20 years and been on the Board. Some were well managed and some were not. Overall, even with the infighting, the HOA community was more attractive (to me).

Frankly, it's cheaper to buy in a non-HOA community! I love seeing children playing in the street and families walking, but I don't want to live in a neighborhood with car music or loud exhausts rattling the windows, loud music from neighboring homes, cars on cement blocks, garages open with people spilling out or sitting in lawn chairs (favorite drink in hand) or the occasional purple or pink house. At this point in my life, I want as much peace and tranquility as can be reasonably expected. There's a reason 55+ HOA-managed communities exist, and that cannot be denied. They offer what we need and want at this point in our lives.

Baby boomers are mature, educated, thinking people. We know what we want out of retirement. We know better than to accept things at face value and, believe me, with the Internet, we don't have to. WE HAVE CHOICES AND WE’VE EARNED THEM! To buy into such a community and then to complain because the grand kids have restrictions, etc. is ludicrous!

SC has it all for less than a gym membership (couple) and the costs for the various clubs are not worthy of discussion. Where can you get a real community feel in a mature environment? There's an opportunity for "family" and the ability to share our highs and lows with like-minded, mature, individuals. The plethora of information in a community experiencing aging is worth the cost alone. There's no need to "reinvent the wheel" in any area of our lives. The price of a HOA is small to know you're not alone in the aging process and that there’s so much to do and experience at this stage of our lives.

One day the builder won't hold a majority on the Board. What will the complaints be then? I can assure you, nothing will change. We have to make hard choices in life. Some stay and some go. But the occupancy of SC and all the other 55+ communities indicate that, for most of us, this is “home”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin