Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 4,894 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've now visited Austin 2 times, going back again next month to finalize where we want to live and rent for the next year before we settle on a neighborhood to buy. I'm moving from New Jersey, sick and tired of everything being so over-priced. I would like some recommendations of neighborhoods and complexes to check out when I visit to secure a rental. I'll be working near the Domain.

Here is what I am looking for:

a. Kid friendly neighborhood, hopefully not too far from daycare (my son will be 5, so it will be his last year at day care).

b. 2 bedroom / 2 bath - rental price can be $2500 / month. I'd like for it to be a good neighborhood with playground and pool, etc. (Not picky on layout or sq foot, etc).

c. Easy commute to work and downtown, in under 30 minutes. This is why I'm not looking up north for example, where I know there may be more options.

d. If possible, near whole foods/good grocery options, farmers market is a plus, good food options not too far, parks for the kiddo, etc.

If you guys can help me narrow down 4-5 area or even actual apartment/condo options, I'll check them out when I'm there and hopefully secure something! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
SW Austin of Mopac/Davis area or Brodie/Davis? Dick Nichols is a free public pool.

Or off Escarpment/Convict Hill? These have neighborhood pools as part of the HOA.

HEB/Central Markets/Whole Foods is pretty easy access to the area. Farmers market at Burger Center, not sure on the schedule.

Primrose/Bright Horizons/Country Home are all in the area, plus others.

30 minutes under good conditions, but hard to get there during the height of rush hour in that time.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
SW Austin of Mopac/Davis area or Brodie/Davis? Dick Nichols is a free public pool.

Or off Escarpment/Convict Hill? These have neighborhood pools as part of the HOA.

HEB/Central Markets/Whole Foods is pretty easy access to the area. Farmers market at Burger Center, not sure on the schedule.

Primrose/Bright Horizons/Country Home are all in the area, plus others.

30 minutes under good conditions, but hard to get there during the height of rush hour in that time.
They’re working at the domain? Southwest Austin would be at the very bottom if my list of options. It takes me 20 minutes with. I traffic to get from slaughter/mopac to far west. Add another five to get to the domain. I’d look in and around the domain over the the area that’s Anderson HS/ Round rock isd.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
They’re working at the domain? Southwest Austin would be at the very bottom if my list of options. It takes me 20 minutes with. I traffic to get from slaughter/mopac to far west. Add another five to get to the domain. I’d look in and around the domain over the the area that’s Anderson HS/ Round rock isd.
Ooops! I saw the 30 minutes to downtown and 'not looking up north' and missed the Domain part. Nix that recommendation about SW Austin

Although, what do you mean when you say 'not looking up north', as that is where the Domain is (in my mind, anyway)?

Old 08-06-2019, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,894 times
To clarify - I'm not looking like in Round Rock and the suburbs area for now. I want to stay closer to the Domain for now...Is it worth going to areas with Eanes school district? (Though he is only 5) and we'll be renting. Or just find a good day care and maybe stay in Mueller or some other area closer to Domain and downtown. What other good areas should I explore?

Old 08-06-2019, 01:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
No need to look at Eanes ISD! Look at apartments (and possibly SFH) in the Allandale/Burnet Road area.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:27 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
The very north part of the eanes ISD is probably workable.

You might also look at all the feeders into westwood high school (RRISD, but the homes are well into austin). Westwood feeders are around oak knoll/183.

Here is the westwood boundary:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 08-12-2019 at 02:07 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 01:47 PM

For that price, I would look into the Far West Blvd area, NW Hills, Great Hills, Balcones Woods, etc. I am not familiar with the daycares up there specifically, there are almost certainly some good ones.

The apartments off of Duval Rd (not Ln) might work, can't think of the name right now.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
For that price, I would look into the Far West Blvd area, NW Hills, Great Hills, Balcones Woods, etc. I am not familiar with the daycares up there specifically, there are almost certainly some good ones.

The apartments off of Duval Rd (not Ln) might work, can't think of the name right now.
For 2400/month I rented a 2700 sq ft, 4br house in northwest hills. It was priced below average though, which is about $1.5/sq ft

OP can look for rentals at austinhomesearch.com

I have friends in a $2500/month 3700 sq ft rental in avery ranch.

Closer in though you will have a lot of choices (much better than 2 br /2ba)

Old 08-06-2019, 03:53 PM

103 posts, read 211,247 times
Also moving from New Jersey. (Born in texas, married and upstate NY Yankee!). Trying to get lose ends neatly tied before heading out. Also sick and tired of the cost of merely existing in this overcrowded state. My son is four and i’m hoping he can begin kindergarten in Texas. I just wanted to say very good luck to you!! Just think...you won’t ever have to apply the words Polar Vortex or Blizzard to your winter experience EVER AGAIN!!! YES!!! safe travels!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin