U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 02:13 PM

13,603 posts, read 30,286,341 times

Advertisements

Regardless of how you are 'here', you are paying property taxes directly or indirectly if you are in a home of any sort. The number of homeless that are in public school is diminishlingly small. I am very familiar with the school system, having gone to the schools, taught in the schools, and have kids in the schools.

How do you know those kids are 'non performing'? And how does that collapse the system? Is the system collapsing? The state tries by shifting more to the local tax-payer, but hasn't succeeded yet....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymou5 View Post
"Housing for ALL" collapsed our housing market in 2008.

"Education for ALL" lead to 1 trillion in student loan debt, and the skyrocketing cost of education.

"Healthcare for ALL" lead to skyrocketing healthcare costs, and record househodl debt.

That does sound awful, escept where you live apparently: Resources are abundant, and there are no trade offs or consequences for decisions.
This is quite laughable - housing collapse was bankers/buyers getting greedy/speculation. Student loans were students buying stuff (colleges) they can't afford - and it was in no way 'all' anymore than it ever was. ACA likely lowered household debt, although likely ate into upper-middle class and above earnings significantly.

But anyway, while there are points to debate and pros/cons and such, I think I can safely put you in the 'pointless' category

Old 08-06-2019, 05:15 PM

7,161 posts, read 9,639,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymou5 View Post
AISD put up billboards all over Austin with the cryptic phrase "ALL Are Welcome" - basically sending a message to all taxpayers that their kids will be sitting in class with non-English speaking students, homeless kids, poor out-of-district transfers. undocumented children, and kids from transient families.

AISD is basically telling the middle and upper class that they do not intend to provide a service that matches the expectations of taxpayers, or matches the price tag they pay for this service. Therefore the middle class families are abandoning the bottom half of AISD schools, and the ones that remain are transferring in to the better schools. AISD Principals have to accept the transfers, or the taxpayers and their children will leave the district, and they know this.
This statement is fully inaccurate. The top schools are many times closed to transfer.

Quote:
Schools Frozen to Transfers in 2019–20

Each year, Austin ISD determines which schools (K–12) should be frozen to transfers because they have, or are expected to have, enrollments that exceed their capacities. Also, some schools are frozen to maintain stability in tracking patterns. The list of schools frozen to transfers for the 2019–20 school year was announced Dec. 17 at the regular board meeting.

High schools: Akins, Austin, Bowie, Lanier ECHS and McCallum.
Middle schools: Fulmore, Lamar, Murchison and Small.
Elementary schools: Baldwin, Baranoff, Blazier, Brentwood (except kindergarten), Casis (except kindergarten), Cowan, Doss, Gullett (except kindergarten), Hill, Kiker, Maplewood (except kindergarten and sixth grade), Menchaca, Oak Hill, Summitt (except kindergarten), and Zilker (except kindergarten).
In addition, the following grade levels will be frozen to priority and general transfers but will accept dual language applications:

Becker (Pre-PK through 3rd grade)
Reilly (Pre-K through 3rd grade)
Sunset Valley (Pre-K through 3rd grade)
Ridgetop is frozen to priority and general at all grades but will take dual language applications for Pre-K and Kindergarten.

Frozen schools may still accept applications for magnet, application or dual language programs. Please contact the school directly for more information.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 AM

9,302 posts, read 9,260,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
This is quite laughable - housing collapse was bankers/buyers getting greedy/speculation. Student loans were students buying stuff (colleges) they can't afford - and it was in no way 'all' anymore than it ever was. ACA likely lowered household debt, although likely ate into upper-middle class and above earnings significantly.

But anyway, while there are points to debate and pros/cons and such, I think I can safely put you in the 'pointless' category
Actually, he/she is mostly correct about the housing collapse of 2008. Starting in the 1990s, the feds (led by HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros- from San Antonio) pressured the banks into making subprime variable rate loans to those who could not afford them when the rates eventually went up. The banks were allowed by the government to bundle all that bad paper to “sell off”, and eventually the scheme collapsed in 2008. Of course GWB was blamed for it, even though he had nothing to do with it and had warned about the bad policy early in his first term.
The same thing is going on again right now, from what has been reported.

Student loans going to finance worthless degrees that have no hope of earning enough to pay them off.... what could go wrong?

Prior to ACA, 80% of those with health insurance were satisfied with their coverage. Now the middle class is being soaked to provide inadequate coverage with huge deductibles for some of the poor, rendering it useless for many. The federal government has no business running our healthcare insurance, IMO.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Actually, he/she is mostly correct about the housing collapse of 2008. Starting in the 1990s, the feds (led by HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros- from San Antonio) pressured the banks into making subprime variable rate loans to those who could not afford them when the rates eventually went up. The banks were allowed by the government to bundle all that bad paper to “sell off”, and eventually the scheme collapsed in 2008. Of course GWB was blamed for it, even though he had nothing to do with it and had warned about the bad policy early in his first term.
The same thing is going on again right now, from what has been reported.
Yes and no - the 'bankers' bundling and selling off the bad loans was the real issue - if they had not done that, the problem would have naturally corrected or have been restrained. And the heads of the federal institutions that should have stopped that did not. The bankers/brokers were just about making the money now. And they played the game right, more or less - they are (almost every one of them) off scott-free with the same financial people still in Washington, and no president was ever up-to-speed enough on the intricacies to really make any executive decisions.

So Cisneros initiative to increasing home ownership was taking and run with by the white-collars in a direction it should not have gone. And it wasn't the ownership of the homes that was an issue, it was the outrageous pricing. Many of the people burned in the end had owned homes 'cleanly' but ended up in foreclosure by buying up.

Quote:
Student loans going to finance worthless degrees that have no hope of earning enough to pay them off.... what could go wrong?
I completely do not understand this process of leveraging your whole future for a specific college name. And it annoys the hell out of me that so many are trying to 'buy' votes by proposing to write this debt off.

Quote:
Prior to ACA, 80% of those with health insurance were satisfied with their coverage. Now the middle class is being soaked to provide inadequate coverage with huge deductibles for some of the poor, rendering it useless for many. The federal government has no business running our healthcare insurance, IMO.
There are so many issues, though, and each side only focuses on their favorite one.
- Is health care a right? If not, what does that really mean? If so, how is that handled?
- Young, healthy people pay only for their cost of health care 'right now' via our existing insurers. When they get 'old' or are unhealthy and need more healthcare, the insurers essentially kick them to medicare/medicaid/the curb.
- medicare/medicaid is vastly underfunded (or health care over-priced, or both), so the public is really paying for this (as much as anything ever really gets paid for).

So many other issues. One proposal - if you have private insurance, you stop paying for and can never access medicare. You are required to find private insurance or just not get health care coverage for the rest of your life. In a sadistic sort of way, this would sort a bunch of stuff out in a hurry .

Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 AM

I just wish I could have kept Aetna as my primary care insurer.

No doubt the big banks ran with the crooked bundling scheme, but the feds are the ones who pressured them into the subprimes in the first place. I think they all should have gone to prison for bilking the taxpayers out of a trillion bucks in the bailouts. Shameful business that was, and they should have been allowed to fail. It would’ve been a tougher recession, but the institution would have been better off in the long run.

Someday this country is going to have to address the unsustainable national debt that is accruing plus the bigger elephant in the room..... the much more massive unfunded mandates. Neither party is capable of “fixing” it, nor even inclined to do so.

Last edited by ScoPro; 08-07-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I just wish I could have kept Aetna as my primary care insurer.
You can, just pay them whatever premium they ask for and ditch medicare .

Old 08-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Yeah, like the feds would stop deducting the Medicare tax from my SS. Lol

Ah well, I won’t need it much longer anyway. Getting old kinda sucks.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, like the feds would stop deducting the Medicare tax from my SS. Lol
The medicare taken out of my paycheck is minuscule, whereas SS is fairly significant. It is also why SS/Medicare combined are in trouble - SS is pretty close to stable, but the medicare portion is completely out of whack.

Aetna would charge you $1,000s per month, but they would do it (maybe).

Old 08-07-2019, 01:14 PM

Aetna was the insurance carrier for TRS-Care. It was running about $250-$300/ month through them last I heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or