Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 06:35 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Some examples and how it is hurting education?
AISD has adopted a model of "teaching to the whole student" instead of what they refer to as "drill and kill".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...t_working_for/

For some kids, problems based teaching can work, but unfortunately for many low income kids they need to drill the basics and learn them fluently.

My experience with problem based teaching is that the problems are too big and incorporate too many pieces at once. The kids dont get enough repetition and variation of the basics. In the time you can do one word problem you can solve 20-30 basic math problems.

I ran into this with my own kids and so I ended up having to give them all kinds of variations of basic math problems to let them understand and practice the various permutations. Poor and uneducated parents dont have this capability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 06:55 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Problem is, especially at the STAAR levels but at all grades, they are being forced to teach to the test, and those word problems are what are on the test. It is true that at the younger grades those word problems are anti-productive, but the state mandates that they 'know' them anyway. It isn't so much a district decision as much as a state-wide 'requirement' .

Not sure how that is a social justice thing, anyway, it seems almost the opposite. But I am not very conversant on the variations of social justice .

Old 08-05-2019, 05:22 PM

319 posts, read 346,246 times
OK, I didn't mention recapture. I should have. Despite recapture, I am not happy with our AISD management.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:42 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
OK, I didn't mention recapture. I should have. Despite recapture, I am not happy with our AISD management.
I was unhappy with it starting in the early 1970s.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Some examples and how it is hurting education?

I'm not involved in education but when i hear stuff like the example below I become very skeptical. Seems like they are gravitating to the "feelings over facts" POV, that competition is a bad thing and everyone must adopt the "it takes a village" mindset. When I went to school they weaned us off of the separate grades for effort around the 3rd grade, which gave us a head start to a world where results are more important.

Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 08-05-2019 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 05:27 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I'm not involved in education but when i hear stuff like the example below I become very skeptical. Seems like they are gravitating to the "feelings over facts" POV, that competition is a bad thing and everyone must adopt the "it takes a village" mindset. When I went to school they weaned us off of the separate grades for effort around the 3rd grade, which gave us a head start to a world where results are more important.

Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
SEL is part of ALL districts, not just AISD. How would you support a hurting child? Like how do you support the students in El Paso or Dayton after these shootings? How many kids are going to be scared to go to school this year? How about those parkland students who haven’t graduated yet? You arent okay with SEL but you aren’t involved in education? Okay...

Old 08-06-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

Actually, of all the things the schools do well, this is near the top of the list. It has a huge impact on the kids self-awareness and social learning. I was skeptical when I heard the term, but after two kids going through elementary school, it is an incredibly idea and helps so many kids in so many ways with a relatively minimal amount of effort. It is one that that COULD help prevent bullied kids from growing up to be disturbed adults that shoot up malls and such.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Seems like it would be a vital part of the curriculum because so many of today’s kids aren’t getting much development guidance at home in this modern social media culture.

Like it or not, the schools are “raising” a lot of our kids because parenting is lacking in so many homes.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Seems like it would be a vital part of the curriculum because so many of today’s kids aren’t getting much development guidance at home in this modern social media culture.

Like it or not, the schools are “raising” a lot of our kids because parenting is lacking in so many homes.
So many families, even ones that don't 'lack' at home, don't talk about emotional issues or how to deal with those feelings. It really isn't a huge, obvious part of the curriculum, but lets the kids talk about things that they might not talk about with their family - bullying, depression, etc. - and once they see their peers talking about it, it makes a huge difference.

In any case, bullying at the school is a tiny fraction of when I was a kid. The 'other' kids (not the bully or bullied) don't let it go on.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymou5 View Post
AISD put up billboards all over Austin with the cryptic phrase "ALL Are Welcome" - basically sending a message to all taxpayers that their kids will be sitting in class with non-English speaking students, homeless kids, poor out-of-district transfers. undocumented children, and kids from transient families.
*GASP!* Public education for all, that does sound awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin