Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 07:52 AM

8 posts, read 6,864 times

Advertisements

My 24 year old son has been researching Austin and has decided he wants to move there. He does not have a job there but has a couple potential leads through current customers. He knows no one, which is appealing to him and scary for me. He hopes to have about $10k to get him by until he gains employment. He has a truck he plans on taking but public transportation isn’t out of the question.

1.What areas to rent in would you recommend within commuting distance to downtown that is more economical but safe?

2. Thinking of possibly renting a room first to give him time to get a feel for what area he wants to be in. Besides Craigslist is there a website you recommend that lists rental share opportunities?

3. What cellular provider has best service in the area?

4. If he takes his vehicle, do we have to transfer it to Texas right away or could we keep it registered in our state for a few months or until we know he decides that is where he will stay?

5. Any advice you are willing to share is appreciated, sure there are things we don’t even realize we need to consider. The potential move is from Florida in case that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 07:58 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
He's 24. Why are you "assisting" in this move as if he were 14? I moved to a new state by myself at 25. Pre-internet, pre-Craigslist, pre everything! You are not helping him grow and mature. He is the one who should be asking/researching these questions, not you.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Search, search, search the 10’s of other threads on this topic.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 AM

Thanks for your feedback. No need to waste your time if you don’t have specific answers to my questions. But since you did, I will take a minute to reply. He purchased his first home at age 20, and has done his own research, he is probably moving to Austin. Because he values my opinions ( I moved to another state on my own at age 18 pre-everything) and advice from time to time it is me, the responsible parent, seeking information and advice from those who have it to share.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:18 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Bring the truck, we have limited public transportation. Technically, he would have 30 days to re-register it in Texas but as long as the plates are still valid, no one will be hunting him down. When the registration is up, then register it in Texas.

Cell provider? I 've always had ATT, no issues.

Close to downtown but more economical? SE Austin, specifically the E. Riverside/Pleasant Valley area. Orcacle is now in the area and there are lots of new pricey apartments but it was a student and working class area for decades before that and there are still bargains to be found in older complexes.

All of Austin is safe. Property crime is rampent-- lock the truck and don't leave valuables in it. But crimes against people are rare. If he has any street smarts at all he will be fine.

$10K with parents as a backstop should be fine. Lots of apartments will want to see pay stubs as proof of employment before renting, as well as a rental history. You might need to co-sign.

Tell him to stop by this site and we'll answer his questions.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:32 PM

18 posts, read 21,026 times
He is 24, its time to cut the cord and let him sink or swim.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Bring the truck, we have limited public transportation. Technically, he would have 30 days to re-register it in Texas but as long as the plates are still valid, no one will be hunting him down. When the registration is up, then register it in Texas.

Cell provider? I 've always had ATT, no issues.

Close to downtown but more economical? SE Austin, specifically the E. Riverside/Pleasant Valley area. Orcacle is now in the area and there are lots of new pricey apartments but it was a student and working class area for decades before that and there are still bargains to be found in older complexes.

All of Austin is safe. Property crime is rampent-- lock the truck and don't leave valuables in it. But crimes against people are rare. If he has any street smarts at all he will be fine.

$10K with parents as a backstop should be fine. Lots of apartments will want to see pay stubs as proof of employment before renting, as well as a rental history. You might need to co-sign.

Tell him to stop by this site and we'll answer his questions.
Thank you! He is a homeowner in Florida and has stable work history since 18. So he should be pretty good with background and he hopes to secure employment through a lead he has, but will go without one. financial No financial back up from parents but I definitely want to try to research some of the things he may not have. Anyway, appreciate the info and have told him to check out this site. .

Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
People are so damn ignorant. If you don’t have anything of value to add then move along. It’s so pathetic to seem someone ridicule a parent for being a parent. Just because his sons 24 doesn’t mean you stop being a parent. You’ll need your parents advice until the day you die. Good on you for helping get information for your son and being concerned enough with your Child to make sure they end up in a good situation.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:10 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
People are so damn ignorant. If you don’t have anything of value to add then move along. It’s so pathetic to seem someone ridicule a parent for being a parent. Just because his sons 24 doesn’t mean you stop being a parent. You’ll need your parents advice until the day you die. Good on you for helping get information for your son and being concerned enough with your Child to make sure they end up in a good situation.
Most humans are useless. You notice she was too lazy to search. The forum requests that users search to keep duplicate questions to a limit. Your are no value by encouraging ignorance.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:37 AM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
You’re of no value being an rude. If the post was an issue let a moderator handle that. Also, just because there are “similar” posts doesn’t mean it’s exactly the same and meets the need of the OP. Every situation is different and new advice is always helpful especially in a area that’s changing daily like the Austin metro. If you bothers you so much why don’t you just scroll past instead of posting something that adds no value other then ignorance. The internet has a loud a lot of people to feel confident in being rude because they can do it behind a screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: