Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 08:12 AM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,677 times

Advertisements

A month into a knee replacement, I would like to work on taking whole steps, not cheating "half steps" on stairs. Regular stairs have too high a riser to allow me to swing the good leg over the rehab leg at this time. Looking for only about 2-4" rise. Steps should be short in the horizontal plane also. Should have rail for security/safety. I know they are out there somewhere! Thanks, Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 08:39 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times
My first thought is the front entrance to the Texas Capitol, but I'm having trouble finding a photo that shows the steps well enough.

Even if it's correct, it may be too public a place for you, but there would at least be plenty of distractions to entertain you!

Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I think the Erwin center steps are slightly smaller than average, but maybe still too tall for what you are looking for. The south mall steps are also slightly smaller than typical.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for public very shallow stairs for knee replacement rehab.-capture.jpg   Looking for public very shallow stairs for knee replacement rehab.-capture1.jpg  

Old 08-21-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
My first thought is the front entrance to the Texas Capitol, but I'm having trouble finding a photo that shows the steps well enough.

Even if it's correct, it may be too public a place for you, but there would at least be plenty of distractions to entertain you!

Before the knee replacement when I wanted to exercise the bum leg I went to the capitol a lot. Nothing wrong with it being public. I enjoyed greeting tourists from all over the world. I walked the stairs indoors. Unfortunately, I need more like "baby steps" right now. When those are mastered the Capitol is next!

Don

Old 08-21-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think the Erwin center steps are slightly smaller than average, but maybe still too tall for what you are looking for. The south mall steps are also slightly smaller than typical.

Hmm... MAYBE. I will check it out.

Don

Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Hmm... MAYBE. I will check it out.

Don
Somewhere on campus there are steps that are built 'across' a hillside, more or less, so that the steps are normal height on one end, but decrease to almost nothing at the other - and the total length of the stairs get shorter as it goes up the hill, so there continue to be shorter steps on the one end as you go up.

But damned if I can recall where that was.

You might try driving (or I guess you may have to walk :/ ) around campus to check some of the steps out. There are hills and some architectural oddities that result in odd steps.

Edit: Eh, found some like that, but no rail due to the change in lateral length. I suspect that would be the case with all steps like this, and you would have to travel up/down the stairs at an angle, anyway, to keep the step small.

The steps at the back of the LBJ library are 'shallow', but further apart than you are probably looking for (and a wall instead of a rail, if that matters).
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for public very shallow stairs for knee replacement rehab.-capture2.jpg   Looking for public very shallow stairs for knee replacement rehab.-capture3.jpg  

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-21-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-21-2019, 08:58 PM

Found it! The northmost theatre at Zach Scott. Steps the right length, approx. 4" risers. One set with more like 6" risers. Hand rails. Did about 110 steps fine but then it was REALLY hot and no shade. After a couple weeks or so of some practice here we go inside at the capitol with AC.

Don

Old 08-22-2019, 07:10 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Found it! The northmost theatre at Zach Scott. Steps the right length, approx. 4" risers. One set with more like 6" risers. Hand rails. Did about 110 steps fine but then it was REALLY hot and no shade. After a couple weeks or so of some practice here we go inside at the capitol with AC.

Don

This is great! (I actually checked back to see if there was a solution yet.)

Good luck with your knee rehab!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: