Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 08:50 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

I hear North Korea forces homeless into labor camps. Sounds like many on here want that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 PM

11,795 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I hear North Korea forces homeless into labor camps. Sounds like many on here want that to happen.
Not specifically, or atleast not me.. but I fear this means of practically endorsing it pretty much promotes it. I just don't see this as a way of helping anyone, including them. It doesn't give them jobs, give them help, homes, or take anyone off the street - it gives them rights to continue to be homeless while also making the streets fairly unsanitary for everyone.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:13 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,836 times
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/07...ouston-dallas/
fixed link

Old 09-24-2019, 05:36 AM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
jailing them would be zero added cost- since then they would be forced to clean up the parks and streets, alleys etc and you would have to pay for those services - they could also do other chain gang jobs like minor street repair, highway cleaning etc

also put in jail you people that give them money and food at corners - take away your cars and sell them -
t
not as hard a north korea but it would be no picknick - most of these people had a choice NOT to use drugs NOT to become beggars NOT to drop out of school -

the tax payers have rights too not to have beggars ask for money when you walk downtown or at almost every corner, have the right not to have tents put up in the parks they pay for with their taxes -
you liberals want to feel good about yourselves by coddling these drug addicts who made their choice to live in squaller

Old 09-24-2019, 05:43 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Why is it always incumbent on the taxpayer to fund programs that fail time and again? Folks that WANT help can get it. The "homeless" you see wandering the streets are doing so because that's their choice. They've figured out that the guvmint will give them money, food and shelter just for existing. There is no requirement that they actually return anything for the largesse of the taxpayer - so they just keep on with their "lifestyle".

I, for one, am tired of financing the lazy and those that refuse to even try to advance themselves. I DO support the programs that actually teach a trade/skill and require those receiving assistance to participate and gradually wean themselves off the public welfare roles. I don't expect them to go "cold turkey" once they reach some magical income number, but I DO expect them to be off the roles within a reasonable time frame of say, 2-4 years, and doing for themselves. We make it entirely too easy for folks to live a lifetime on public assistance - assistance that comes from OUR pockets - NOT the "guvmint".
This is so inaccurate and incorrect , wildly outdated thinking that I don't even think I could explain it to you if that is your mindset .

And for those talking about Cal , I have news for you , this problem is NATIONwide . For may very valid reasons .
Not to mention the fact that depending on the substance jailing an "addict" can be lethal , resulting in one horrible death .

and yes I was born in the very early 60's and raised right there in Tx .

Old 09-24-2019, 07:04 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
jailing them would be zero added cost-
We spend more money putting people in jail then we do on most things in this country. That is not the answer.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:17 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
jailing them would be zero added cost- since then they would be forced to clean up the parks and streets, alleys etc and you would have to pay for those services - they could also do other chain gang jobs like minor street repair, highway cleaning etc

also put in jail you people that give them money and food at corners - take away your cars and sell them -
t
not as hard a north korea but it would be no picknick - most of these people had a choice NOT to use drugs NOT to become beggars NOT to drop out of school -

the tax payers have rights too not to have beggars ask for money when you walk downtown or at almost every corner, have the right not to have tents put up in the parks they pay for with their taxes -
you liberals want to feel good about yourselves by coddling these drug addicts who made their choice to live in squaller
Prisons don’t come anywhere close to paying for themselves with labor, even when they have cooperative workers. Your solution is just as costly as providing permanent shelter, yet less humane. That applies to most conservative ideas really.

And you’re fascinatingly ignorant on the causes and cycles of addiction.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:21 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
This is so inaccurate and incorrect , wildly outdated thinking that I don't even think I could explain it to you if that is your mindset .

And for those talking about Cal , I have news for you , this problem is NATIONwide . For may very valid reasons .
Not to mention the fact that depending on the substance jailing an "addict" can be lethal , resulting in one horrible death .

and yes I was born in the very early 60's and raised right there in Tx .

The above does not constitute a rebuttal. I would say not jailing someone *probably* increases their chances of dying. Can you point to studies that show worse outcomes for incarcerating addicts versus leaving them to their own devices? Is it easier or harder to obtain narcotics and the funds to purchase them inside a correctional institution or outside of one? Is an addict more likely to quit drugs in a facility or out on the streets? Proof please.

Edit: Doing further research it appears that Travis county has a drug diversion program:

Individuals with a pending felony drug-related offense in Travis County are reviewed by the District Attorney’s Office for legal eligibility. Once the case has been referred to the program, an initial assessment is conducted to determine clinical eligibility. Final program admission is determined by the presiding Judge.

The three essential components of the program are Court, treatment and case management. Individuals appear in court on a regular basis, which allows the Judge to monitor their treatment and program performance. The treatment component focuses on the acquisition of new skills that address high-risk behaviors that impact long-term recovery. Case management reinforces skills learned in treatment; while monitoring program compliance and serves as a liaison for ancillary services within the community. The program is comprised of phases where individuals transition to each successive phase only after successful completion of the prior phase.

I have seen recent numbers showing LA has the highest population of homeless of any city in the U.S. so it is a matter of magnitudes with CA still faring much worse compared to the average.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 09-24-2019 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 10:23 AM

11,795 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:

t

This is by far the most heartless post I've ever read on CD.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:09 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
jailing them would be zero added cost-
Once I read that I ignored the rest of your post. It costs $31,000 a year to house an inmate. We'd be better off just giving me UBI of $20,000 a year and it would save taxpayers money...

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/05/...omeone-prison/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin