Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:40 AM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

So um... before this one gets closed I just want to know is there anyone I can write in effort to push some buttons in getting this ordinance repealed? I know it wont be that easy but just in a general sense what can I do to take action to salvage the prestige of Austin before this issue gets out of hand?

I noted Western92's reply from earlier. I wasn't fully sure if I understood what he meant though. It sounds as if this ordinance is fought it will still fail crashing and burning unless sufficient funding is also implied in helping these people off the street...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:53 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Oh, PLEASE. LOTS of vets came home with PTSD from WWI, II, Korea, 'Nam - he**, even the Civil War. Somehow, they found a way to cope WITHOUT the "support". Did some of 'em really need it? Sure - and I'm gonna be the first to say they should get it - but it's not a lifetime pass.
For some injuries, it's a lifetime injury, especially if it's a brain injury.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Do you think the powers that be really want this to end? There is a billion dollar industry that thrives off of homelessness. This is the case in San Francisco and Los Angeles especially. It could be the case in Austin with the way things are going. What's especially bad is the limo-liberals that talk a good game about helping out the homeless, yet live in gated communities and don't want any type of shelter within miles of them.

Yeah this is a huge problem and relates to the limo-liberals I mentioned. There is so much accumulated wealth just sitting because the taxes on the ultra-rich are very low. If this was the 50s or 60s, we'd have a better hold on the homeless issue and better infrastructure too. The West Coast is showing the rest of America what their future is in regards to homeless. It is terrible out here even in the nice areas. Drive down any light industrial area and you'll see rows of RVs. Tents are setup almost anywhere and especially in commercial areas. There is so much more and it continues to get worse. But like I said, people are making money off of it.
The tax rate was higher in the 50s and 60s, you have that part right. However, guess who lowered it in the early 80s? Yes, you know that icon you worship. Corporate and individual tax rates were like 70% back then.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Oh, PLEASE. LOTS of vets came home with PTSD from WWI, II, Korea, 'Nam - he**, even the Civil War. Somehow, they found a way to cope WITHOUT the "support". Did some of 'em really need it? Sure - and I'm gonna be the first to say they should get it - but it's not a lifetime pass.
You clearly don't know about the history of asylums and where disturbed vets with no family lived before the 80s.

Last edited by Westerner92; 09-17-2019 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-17-2019, 01:13 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The tax rate was higher in the 50s and 60s, you have that part right. However, guess who lowered it in the early 80s? Yes, you know that icon you worship. Corporate and individual tax rates were like 70% back then.
Why project your love for Reagan onto me when I'm advocating for higher taxes? Where do you get this from? I have never defending this awful president in my life. You do this kind of thing often and it's very strange.

Anyway let me tell you a secret, BOTH parties suck. BOTH parties have presidents and elected officials who cut funding for mental institutions when we needed them. Or they made it harder for felons to get a job but made it easier for them to land in prison (Clinton). Trying to call out a fellow citizen with no basis at all for it is part of the reason why we've found ourselves in this mess with homeless encampments filling up our cities.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Why project your love for Reagan onto me when I'm advocating for higher taxes? Where do you get this from? I have never defending this awful president in my life. You do this kind of thing often and it's very strange.

Anyway let me tell you a secret, BOTH parties suck. BOTH parties have presidents and elected officials who cut funding for mental institutions when we needed them. Or they made it harder for felons to get a job but made it easier for them to land in prison (Clinton). Trying to call out a fellow citizen with no basis at all for it is part of the reason why we've found ourselves in this mess with homeless encampments filling up our cities.
I kind of feel like we are off topic here though, we aren't really debating the prison system. Yes there's a link (if a released prisoner can't get a job they end up on the street) but most homeless are not former prisoners. Most homeless are drug addicts, vets, and those with mental illnesses.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I kind of feel like we are off topic here though, we aren't really debating the prison system. Yes there's a link (if a released prisoner can't get a job they end up on the street) but most homeless are not former prisoners. Most homeless are drug addicts, vets, and those with mental illnesses.
Nice try considering you're the one who brought it off topic with your weirdly coded "icon post", but the prison system is very much on topic because many of the homeless are former felons who can't obtain good paying jobs. Quite a few of those felonies for otherwise minor drug offenses.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Nice try considering you're the one who brought it off topic with your weirdly coded "icon post", but the prison system is very much on topic because many of the homeless are former felons who can't obtain good paying jobs. Quite a few of those felonies for otherwise minor drug offenses.
Minor drug offenses should be expunged from their records. People with drug problems should be put into rehab facilities instead of prisons. This was a big mistake and precedes Clinton, by the way (also Reagan). We have Nixon to thank for his "War on Drugs." A war we lost a long time ago and are still losing. Time to declare the war over and to start a new policy of rehabilitation.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Minor drug offenses should be expunged from their records. People with drug problems should be put into rehab facilities instead of prisons. This was a big mistake and precedes Clinton, by the way (also Reagan). We have Nixon to thank for his "War on Drugs." A war we lost a long time ago and are still losing. Time to declare the war over and to start a new policy of rehabilitation.
Right a very interesting president. On one hand, he wanted to give more money to mental institutions, but on the other he began the "war" on drugs and forbid any reports showing positive effects of federally banned substances.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 AM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
typical progressive responses - more taxes -

non typical progressive responses - drug addicts must be sent to rehab -or be forced by the courts to have shots !

you people voted for these democrats in office for years and now are reaping the rewards of progressive policies

personally i dont want to hear your bitching - you deserve what you got - boo hooo hooo on you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin