Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 10:02 AM

181 posts, read 159,495 times

Advertisements

We recycle everything. When I work in rural areas for a while, I will keep a box in the back of my pickup and bring it back to to the nearest major city to dump at the recycling facility, or in our recycle dumpster at home. That said, I am well aware that the ability to recycle the enormous quantities we are producing is becoming constrained. As stated in prior comments, there's a huge cost to storing, then shipping these items overseas. Then there's also the fact that we don't even know how much of it is actually getting recycled. Not to mention the energy used to actually recycle. I do think that trash is the single most important issue on the planet, more so than this distraction with climate change. Our trash will probably kill us before the climate does.

This also is pretty closely aligned with the arguments associated with EV's. While you may not see the damage to the environment as you drive these new cars, and it "feels good". All it has done is shift the pollution to the power plants, and the battery toxins are probably worse for the environment than anything produced/expelled by ICE vehicles. I'm not anti EV, but I'm also not ignorant to the fact that they probably aren't all that better environmentally than an ICE vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin