Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM

731 posts, read 935,707 times

Advertisements

Great idea! I'll do that. Good to know that not everyone thinks it's hard to live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Are you kidding? Have you seen the post that shows every single day in Seattle from January 1 until now where the sun barely makes an appearance?

I lived in Seattle for almost 10 years. Believe me, there are many more gloomy days than sunny days.

It is fine to prefer Seattle to toasty Austin but you would be way off track if you think Seattle is "mostly sunny."
Isn't that the truth! It is definitely NOT a "mostly sunny" place here in the Seattle area.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I grew up in Wyoming, and lived several other places before moving to Austin from Colorado 34 years ago. I moved here for the warmer weather. Yes, it can be hot in the summer especially in the late afternoon, but you can still enjoy going out for a walk in the morning or evening. And summer only lasts 3 months. I go for a walk almost every day, year round, only occasionally canceling it in Winter when the weather is too cold.

Unlike many places which have only one nice season, summer, Austin has two exceptionally nice seasons, Spring and Fall; and one less tolerable Winter which still has many very nice days.

The local sailing club hosts an annual "Frost Bite" regatta (sailboat races) every New Years day which is rarely ever cancelled for bad weather (which usually means freezing temperatures and rain, it rarely snows). But I do recall a couple times when I wore long underwear and gloves under my foul weather gear. Even then it was nice to get outdoors, especially if you were sitting on the sunny side of the boat.

People keep their boats in the water all year round here. No need to haul out. When we talk about "winterizing" our boats, it means we replaced all the short sleeved t-shirts aboard, with long sleeved t-shirts.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
I'll chime in here. I do agree that some people are "wired" for the heat and others for the cold. Four winters in Pittsburgh was enough to convince me that I didn't like the cold up north.

I spent some time in California and I really enjoyed that climate, I believe it is unbeatable by any other on earth, save the Riviera. I've never lived in Seattle so I can't comment on that climate, but I have visited numerous times and the weather ranged from horrible in the winter (cold, dark, depressing, dreary, drizzly) to sunny bliss (early September around Labor Day). I've also been there in June and it was too cold for me then as well (50's/60's). Just from those visits I concluded that I couldn't "do" the climate in WA state.

However, I work with folks from WA everyday, and they could never live in Texas. They talk about how miserable I must be in that heat, but my favorite phrase is "Ask me again in 6 months." That usually shuts them up, as they know that in 6 months they will be socked into another miserable rainy season and I'll be jogging in shorts...

The only factor you may have to think about is the effect of the Austin climate on your husband. It sounds like as a Chicagoan that he may not adjust to Austin readily. That may be the kicker...

Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
@Texastrigirl - I have lived in Seattle my entire life (3rd generation native) and I'm very tempted by Austin right now. I just have to sell the hubby, who being from Chicago, thinks Seattle is the greatest place on the planet. After 42 years, the weather is breaking me down and I'm not sure how much more I can take of it. Do you by chance stay home with kids? I'm asking in all seriousness, because I work in an office 10 hours a day 4 days per week and feel like I've barely seen any sun (and would certainly appreciate some heat). I'm wondering if I quit my job, I might see more sun and feel better about the weather. When you only get outside 3 days per week, it's a crap shoot. By the time I get off work, it has cooled down too much to sit outside in the evening without bundling up.

If you stay at home and that's why you see more sun (sometimes it take a long time to come out), then there may be hope for me. If you feel like this is enough sun, even though you work most days, then I'm screwed. :-) Thanks!
I am a CPA and work from home for several small clients. I also teach classes at a couple of gyms but I generally have control of my schedule. I also have two boys who play sports year round so I am outside whether I want to be or not. I know from experience exercise (and lots of it) helps me to maintain my health and attitude. I also love the outdoors and work hard each day to maintain an attitude of graditude. I am fine in the rain in Seattle and was fine in the heat of Austin. But that's just me. I am pretty darn resilient and positive. I imagine it drives some that know me crazy! And to me, 60-70 degrees feels really good in the summer. Just perfect for capris, tank and a hoodie which is my fav uniform. It's about the right temp to do anything outdoors that I like to do - hike, bike, run, kayak, sail. We have a camper canvas cover on our boat which is also a cabin cruiser. We even boat in April in 50 and rain. Just bundle up a bit, zip up all the canvas and putter up to Starbucks in Kirkland for coffee. If I want to swim in the lake other than in July and August when it's actually warm enough (my kids swim in it anytime pretty much from May - Sept), I just pop on my wetsuit. Pretty much the same temp as Barton Springs and when I'd do tri training there, I'd be in a wetsuit too. I always found the lakes in TX too hot and too dirty for swimming in. And I have to say, I rather like swimming in lakes without snakes!

But, it is great to be in shorts and a tank on Jan 1 in Austin. Always loved that as I grew up in Iowa and froze the first 22 years of my life.

Really, at the end of the day....it's weather. I tend to be one of those people who gets on with it. I can't control it so I try not to let it consume me.

So, to recap. Happy in Austin, happy in Seattle. Weather is very different in both places. My DH was miserable in the Austin heat, is happier in Seattle and is still bucking to get me to San Diego

Last edited by texastrigirl; 08-01-2011 at 11:25 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 PM

731 posts, read 935,707 times
@Texastrigirl - I appreciate the feedback! I'm a runner who fell of the wagon for awhile and I've been running again for about 3 months. That has helped a lot. I admire you for swimming around here! I had an ex who was an ironman triathalete. He always wanted me to tri, but I have a rule that I don't go in any body of water unless it's over 85 degrees and past noon. :-) That counted me out. ( I actually got hypothermia swimming in Mexico one March and lost feeling in my fingertips in the Caribbean in January - I had to take a scalding hot shower and wear 6 shirts to dinner to finally recover!)

I agree that attitude is key and surprisingly, last year was the first time out of 42 years that I couldn't handle the weather and now I just can't shake it.

It has helped that it finally warmed up a bit around here and we've seen the sun a bit lately, but for me, ideal weather is over 80 degrees, so I won't be finding that around here. I've been doing this terrible thing to myself lately where I always picture myself in sunny warm weather, when I think about my ideal day. Gotta get over that if I'm going to stay here!

So probably best I get a counselor or a second house in AZ rather than quit my job! ;-)

If I could afford it, San Diego would be my ideal place, so I don't blame your husband for wanting to go there. Good luck with that!

Thanks, again!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM

288 posts, read 717,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
So, yep, it's a trade off. Definitely pros and cons to either place. I think after a long time in either climate a person is ready for a change. Seattle is a good change for us after 12 years in TX.
Things rings so true for me! Changing one's environment can be very healthy.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM

288 posts, read 717,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
On the other hand, we don't have a/c in our homes.
This is one of the major reasons I need to get out of the south. I am tired of having to run the A/C constantly with a ~$280 electric bill in the summers. I don't actually keep it that cool in my home either. I love to have my windows open to let fresh air in but I cannot do that for 8-9 months of the year.

I don't want to scare you from Austin but the A/C and heat is something to consider. I am reader all of the cons for Seattle and weighing them.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
This is one of the major reasons I need to get out of the south. I am tired of having to run the A/C constantly with a ~$280 electric bill in the summers. I don't actually keep it that cool in my home either. I love to have my windows open to let fresh air in but I cannot do that for 8-9 months of the year.

I don't want to scare you from Austin but the A/C and heat is something to consider. I am reader all of the cons for Seattle and weighing them.
I thought the same, after growing up in the south, that it would be nice to live somewhere where you didn't need A/C.

Then I realized that in northern climates, you end up needing the heat as much as you need the A/C in warm climates. When I lived in KC, my gas bill was $450 one month (when it was in the single digits/teens/20's the whole month). My A/C bill was $210 for July in the 105 degree heat for a larger house than I had in KC.

Now, Seattle weather is milder than KC in the winter, but I still presume you'd need heat from November to April. So there would be days in April where you'd have to have the heat cranking whereas in Austin you'd have all windows open, feeling the nice breeze. So the question is, would you trade being able to open windows in June for being able to open windows in March or April? Seems like a toss up to me.

It sounds like you may need a change of scenery. Go live in a cold climate for 4 years or more. I bet you'll be clamoring to get back to Austin. The grass is always greener...

Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
My energy costs are 15%-20% less in Seattle than they were in Austin on an annual basis (lots of Quicken data to support this year on year). My home in Austin was newer and more energy efficient vs. an older home in Seattle. Typically, ou don't have big temperature swings in Seattle in the winter. In the winter it can be 38 for a low and 45 for a high on the avg colder days. I set it at 68 and leave it all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin