Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,591 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am new to the forums and have been browsing through wealth of information and discussion here.
My family is planning to move to Austin from the bay area by summer next year. I will be moving within my job which is going to be in Oak Hill area in SW Austin and my spouse will be looking for a tech job which will mostly be in Domain area.
Which neighborhoods with good schools do you recommend can work out with regards to balancing our commute needs? I am considering Lost Creek, Bee Cave, Barton Creek West. Our budget is 8-900k. We also need a neighborhood with young kids, kids playing in the neighborhood and community.
I looked at Circle C as well but seems like going up north will be brutal. Please let me know if I am missing anything or any other neighborhood.

Another advise I need is on the school districts. Is Eanes too competitive and high pressure? One of my kids is dyslexic and needs additional support/ special Ed. I worry if it will be hard for my kid or will the special Ed support be actually better at Eanes? Please advise on any other school district if that seems like a better fit.

Also, looking for neighborhoods with matured landscaping and not new construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 08:40 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
All the districts in the area will be able to accomodate and support your child's special education needs. I would recommend having an ARD meeting before you move to just confirm any services that your current district may just be providing because that's "what they do," like a 1:1, extra time, reading test materials, etc, is written down. If those special things aren't noted wherever you move may not be able to or want to provide those things. You can also reach out to schools directly and chat with the administration about your needs.

You are right, Circle C would be a nightmare. I drive from south of Circle C (only about 10 minutes south) to just south of the Domain to work at a hospital nearby the Domain on Sundays. Even on Sundays it can take be 40 minutes to get from one side of town to another.

With that type of budget I would suggest the Westlake and Barton Creek area. Yes, Eanes can be very competitive. But, it also depends on what you're comfortable with in pushing your children. I don't know the price ranges in the area where AISD/RRISD border each other, but that may also be an option.

I'm sure someone with kids can chime in on other issues and in more detail. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:48 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times
Lost Creek

Old 09-27-2019, 07:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Lost Creek
That's what I was going to say.

But also anywhere within Eanes between Mopac/360 offers a reasonable reverse commute down into Oak Hill, as well as a less brutal commute up into N Austin either via Mopac or Cap of TX Hwy.

If the spouse can simply rule out job opportunities north, then that opens up the 78749, 78739, 78736, 78735, 78737 zipcodes and a lot more choices for much better housing product within the budget.

The dumpy 1970s Rancher I bought in Eanes for $310K in 2010, then sold for $500K in 2014, is now for sale for $775K. And it's still just a basic 1970s tract home. That purchase price will get an amazing home in SW Austin.

All that said, if coming from the Bay area, you may already be immunized against the affliction of a 1+ hour commute that distresses us locals so much.

Welcome to Austin.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:45 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
That's what I was going to say.

But also anywhere within Eanes between Mopac/360 offers a reasonable reverse commute down into Oak Hill, as well as a less brutal commute up into N Austin either via Mopac or Cap of TX Hwy.

If the spouse can simply rule out job opportunities north, then that opens up the 78749, 78739, 78736, 78735, 78737 zipcodes and a lot more choices for much better housing product within the budget.

The dumpy 1970s Rancher I bought in Eanes for $310K in 2010, then sold for $500K in 2014, is now for sale for $775K. And it's still just a basic 1970s tract home. That purchase price will get an amazing home in SW Austin.

All that said, if coming from the Bay area, you may already be immunized against the affliction of a 1+ hour commute that distresses us locals so much.

Welcome to Austin.
All those zips would be a horrible commute in Austin standards to the domain. Unless, like you said, they are immune to long commutes.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:50 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
All those zips would be a horrible commute in Austin standards to the domain. Unless, like you said, they are immune to long commutes.
He did preface it 'if you can rule out a job up north'

Old 09-27-2019, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,591 times
Thank you all for your feedback. Current bay area commute is bad (30-40 mins for 9miles) but nowhere near 1 hr+. Moving from the bay area, we are looking for newer homes which for us mean built in at least 80s/90s and not 50s/60s.
That is why Barton Creek elementary area (BCW, Senna Hills etc) and Bee Cave looked attractive. I will be keeping an eye on Lost Creek too.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle_Ute View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. Current bay area commute is bad (30-40 mins for 9miles) but nowhere near 1 hr+. Moving from the bay area, we are looking for newer homes which for us mean built in at least 80s/90s and not 50s/60s.
That is why Barton Creek elementary area (BCW, Senna Hills etc) and Bee Cave looked attractive. I will be keeping an eye on Lost Creek too.
The Barton Creek West neighborhood is excellent for your north/south split, and has the added benefit of a 1.76% tax rate (as opposed to 2.2% in Austin) because it straddles municipalities and is technically in the "County".

Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times
If the spouse does end up working North though that would be a bad commute. Traffic on 2244 is brutal. Lost Creek would be much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: