Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 11:57 PM

8 posts, read 25,604 times

Advertisements

We currently live in ranch at brushy creek(feel cramped with small backyards and close proximity to neighbors) and are planning to move to a house with a view and a pool. With the new Apple campus opening on parmer I have a feeling its gonna get worse and parmer is going to be a nightmare.We looked at doing a custom build at Apache Shores but I dont think that fits our budget. The max we are willing to go is 600k. With that budget finding a home around Avery ranch/R@bc with a pool is difficult.We really liked a house in Steiner that fits all our criteria. My husband works at domain(mostly wfh) and I work at the Arboretum. I have heard a lot about the traffic situation on 620.When we say bad, how bad are we talking ?We are floored by the views and amenities(pool) this house in Steiner offers. We have a elementary aged kid so schools that are well rated are top priority which Steiner offers and are within the community which is a big plus.Should we go for Steiner ranch with a pool and views with avg sq ft price is $157 versus $220 sq ft around avery/r@bc and compromise on views and a pool? I know it's a personal choice and preference, but it's still very confusing. Need opinions. Tia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 06:02 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Not confusing at all. You talk about parmer possibly becoming a nightmare, 620/2222 is already a nightmare.

The difference in price 100% reflects the location.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 AM

298 posts, read 945,278 times
Where would you have to commute for work? The 620/2222 intersection is terrible from 6:30 am - 8:30 am. It takes most 35-45 min to go 5-7 miles to the high school......but then again, where in Austin is traffic not bad?

Old 10-07-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
Where would you have to commute for work? The 620/2222 intersection is terrible from 6:30 am - 8:30 am. It takes most 35-45 min to go 5-7 miles to the high school......but then again, where in Austin is traffic not bad?
most of the local roads are fine. If you have multiple roads to get someplace you dont get hit by accidents.

My commute has been 5-15 minutes for the last 20 years so luckily I have never experienced austin traffic.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 25,604 times
My husband works at domain but mostly works from home and I work at the Arboretum but timings for me are flexible.
Other than traffic, is there anything else folks dont like about Steiner?

Old 10-07-2019, 11:15 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,157,026 times
My info may be outdated, as it was mid 00's when I lived there, but here's what I experienced. I lived in Steiner from 07-09 and R@BC from 11-16. Not all are negatives or things people don't like.

- A little bit "Stepford", although probably not that much different than R@BC - albeit you won't have the % of South Asian in Steiner that you do in R@BC. Kids were fairly pressed to do the "keeping up with the Jones'" thing. It's still a suburban monoculture, with a slight bit more racial diversity in Steiner. VERY cliquey.

- Traffic was MURDER. If you're like me and routinely forget to pick something up on an errand run, you'll rip your hair out at the thought of bumping down N Quinlan again and dealing with the 2222/620 intersection. It's way worse than anything on Parmer.

- Not a whole lot to do nearby. Couple of restaurants, a few mattress stores and some basic service businesses, but you're basically trapped on a bit of an island.

- Very kid-friendly. Tons of pocket parks and the negative of the "island effect" is also a positive in that there's not as many random people around. I had no issues letting my 7 year old go to the park at the end of the street with her neighbor kid friends. Expect a full house summer days if you have that pool...

- Lake proximity is not as convenient as you think, at least for Lake Travis. For Lake Austin, they've got their own boat ramp and dock. I have a boat, so this was kind of a big deal to me.

- HEB at 620/2222 sucks. It's worth the extra drive to go to the Anderson Mill/620 one.

- Getting to and from ABIA is an absolute nightmare, unless you're taking 6:30 AM flights out, but coming back home you'll be hosed.

- The views during your traffic-filled commutes are much nicer.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefillet View Post
My husband works at domain but mostly works from home and I work at the Arboretum but timings for me are flexible.
Other than traffic, is there anything else folks dont like about Steiner?
Only 2 exits out puts them at risk during a wildfire. There is a large wildfire risk out there.

My favorite stuff is in central austin and I would never live in steiner for that reason. How often will you eat at restaurants on the east side? Most cool new things will get built centrally. In my view if you live out in steiner you can literally live in any masterplanned community in the country.

Most of our friends also have slowly migrated central so all our friends are now central

Steiner culture is heavily materialistic.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:56 PM

550 posts, read 498,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post

- HEB at 620/2222 sucks. It's worth the extra drive to go to the Anderson Mill/620 one.
While I don't agree that the Four Points HEB "Sucks", have you tried the lakeway one? Closer than Anderson Mill, no?

Old 10-07-2019, 07:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,157,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
While I don't agree that the Four Points HEB "Sucks", have you tried the lakeway one? Closer than Anderson Mill, no?
Like I said, it could be outdated. We are talking over a decade ago, so I don't know if they've remodeled the 4 corners one.

I think the Anderson Mill one is closer, or at least always felt closer because I wasn't trying to avoid getting pulled over for doing 47 in a 45 in Lakeway.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefillet View Post
We currently live in ranch at brushy creek(feel cramped with small backyards and close proximity to neighbors) and are planning to move to a house with a view and a pool. With the new Apple campus opening on parmer I have a feeling its gonna get worse and parmer is going to be a nightmare.We looked at doing a custom build at Apache Shores but I dont think that fits our budget. The max we are willing to go is 600k. With that budget finding a home around Avery ranch/R@bc with a pool is difficult.We really liked a house in Steiner that fits all our criteria. My husband works at domain(mostly wfh) and I work at the Arboretum. I have heard a lot about the traffic situation on 620.When we say bad, how bad are we talking ?We are floored by the views and amenities(pool) this house in Steiner offers. We have a elementary aged kid so schools that are well rated are top priority which Steiner offers and are within the community which is a big plus.Should we go for Steiner ranch with a pool and views with avg sq ft price is $157 versus $220 sq ft around avery/r@bc and compromise on views and a pool? I know it's a personal choice and preference, but it's still very confusing. Need opinions. Tia!
I live in Steiner. The traffic is worse than you can ever imagine. It routinely takes me 45 minutes to go about three miles (from the entrance of Steiner to 2222/McNeil). Once you get past the high school, it's not too bad. But the 620/2222 intersection is absolutely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin