Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 07:05 PM

224 posts, read 133,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Actually Houston is more diverse than NYC but whatever.

How Houston has become the most diverse place in America - LA Times

It surpassed NYC in 2010:
https://kinder.rice.edu/uploadedFile...rse%202-13.pdf

So I have several problems with the article you sourced:
1) There's no definition of racial diversity or ethnic diversity. Any empirical research article worth its weight defines what it is attempting to prove. You can't prove a point unless you and your audience share the same lexicon. As I asked the OP (and I'll ask you the same), what is ethnic diversity?
2) In the PDF you sourced, if you conduct a character search for specific Latino ethnicities or African/African-American ethnicities - i.e., Mexican-American, Dominican, Jamaican, Nigerian - nothing comes up. I'm from Queens, NY and I can pinpoint very specific enclaves in Queens that point to ethinic diversity - e.g., Indian Guyanese in Queens Village, Black Guyanese in Jamaica, Peruvians and El Salvadorans in Corona, etcetera.
3) The article mentions two cities - Missouri City and Pearland - as being more diverse than the City of Houston. My experiences, while limited, in both of those areas would not point to racial/ethnic diversity in either of those burbs, especially Missouri City which is a majority Black suburb.
4) A research study with no bibliography, no sources, nothing to back up its claims beyond the fancy charts. How about you try a website that actually discusses methodology and gives you the names of the people who conducted the research. For example:
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-diver...sk-the-experts

5) The largest latino group in Texas is by and large Mexican-Americans. There's no debate here! Compare that to NYC, where Latinos from the Carribean, Central and South America are represented in each borough.

Just do a Google search - Houston never ever comes up as the most diverse city. In fact, it even trails Los Angeles and San Francisco on International listings. It's simply not right to point to one study that fits your narrative and say it is so. That's called research bias!

Finally, common sense will tell you that Houston is not a city that global people traditionally move to. Ask any person who has experienced both NYC and Houston and ask them which city is most diverse and 100/100 people will tell you NYC. I apologize in advance if you perceive this as insulting ...I don't mean to be. I just wish people would just think about the obvious - NYC is a global city. Houston is not. So how can Houston be more diverse than NYC? Doesn't make sense, right?

While I don't normally source Wikipedia, I think this quote says it all about my birthplace which is part of NYC ... Houston can never make this claim...:-)

"
The demographics of Queens, the second-most populous borough in New York City, are highly diverse. No racial or ethnic group holds a 50% majority in the borough. Queens has been claimed the most diverse place on the planet according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,423,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
Several people responded around the same day I did and I'm the only one getting flack? That's cool. That said, I don't think you understand my point (and it's probably my fault) - that is, why are we still talking about where blacks live versus where whites live, etcetera? Perhaps my point should have been reserved for a political thread.

As for your desire to live in an ethnically diverse area, what exactly does that mean? What does cultural options mean?

I come from NYC, the most culturally diverse place on the planet...and NYC has increasingly become one of the most segregated cities - just read any article regarding NYC Department of Education to see what I mean. My point to you is to pursue opportunity and happiness. And pray that your neighbors are decent and kind people that you can get along with. Ethnic diversity is nothing but spin...it's an illusion...it's something that sounds good in public discourse, but most people would rather be around "their own" - for instance, there is more than enough documentation on "white flight" in this country to read upon.

If cultural diversity is being wholesaled for gentrification in NYC, you're definitely not finding it in Austin which is far far less diverse. And that's no knock on Austin...that's just America being America! What I was saying was simple - Aim Higher!
The reason why the date is being pointed out is because most of these posts were made over 10 years ago long before Trump entered the political sphere.

And, there is a reason why I said ethnically diverse area as opposed to an ethnically diverse city. Ethnically diverse areas can be found in some cities that are not ethnically diverse as a whole.

I grew up in areas that were over 85% Hispanic and probably less than 5% black, and I was not happy. I know what makes me happy and a lot of other people know what makes them happy. It makes no sense, as a stranger on the Internet, to try to convince people that what they know of themselves is not true.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:01 AM

224 posts, read 133,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The reason why the date is being pointed out is because most of these posts were made over 10 years ago long before Trump entered the political sphere.

And, there is a reason why I said ethnically diverse area as opposed to an ethnically diverse city. Ethnically diverse areas can be found in some cities that are not ethnically diverse as a whole.

I grew up in areas that were over 85% Hispanic and probably less than 5% black, and I was not happy. I know what makes me happy and a lot of other people know what makes them happy. It makes no sense, as a stranger on the Internet, to try to convince people that what they know of themselves is not true.
I think that you're missing my point. It seems that my mention of the name Trump is throwing you off. My post was asking a more generic question: why are we as a society still asking about black areas vs white areas? Yes, the post was made a long time ago, but I replied along with other people no sooner than 3 days ago about your 10 y.o.topic.

I took quite some time to explain where I'm from. You cannot find a more diverse place in America than Queens (Anthony Bourdain profiled Queens not too long ago). And as I mentioned, as diverse as Queens is, beyond seeing people who look like you in the street, the diversity does not always translate into friendships. Austin is a majority-white town. All i was saying, my opinion, is that for anyone to segregate themselves into a pocket of town where people look like you is part of the larger American problem of segregated neighborhoods. That's all.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just giving my opinion on an opinion board. To focus on the name Trump and discount what I'm saying because it's a 10 year old article misses the essence of my opinion. That said, I hope that you found what you were seeking!

Old 06-25-2017, 06:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,423,736 times
Quote:
I think that you're missing my point. It seems that my mention of the name Trump is throwing you off. My post was asking a more generic question: why are we as a society still asking about black areas vs white areas? Yes, the post was made a long time ago, but I replied along with other people no sooner than 3 days ago about your 10 y.o.topic.

I took quite some time to explain where I'm from. You cannot find a more diverse place in America than Queens (Anthony Bourdain profiled Queens not too long ago). And as I mentioned, as diverse as Queens is, beyond seeing people who look like you in the street, the diversity does not always translate into friendships. Austin is a majority-white town. All i was saying, my opinion, is that for anyone to segregate themselves into a pocket of town where people look like you is part of the larger American problem of segregated neighborhoods. That's all.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just giving my opinion on an opinion board. To focus on the name Trump and discount what I'm saying because it's a 10 year old article misses the essence of my opinion. That said, I hope that you found what you were seeking!
It's not my topic. I'm not the OP. And, looking for diversity is the opposite of looking to segregate yourself. Who said that they had to live in a place that is majority black? That is not what is meant by diverse. I don't know about anyone else, but I've had no problem with finding friends and acquaintances of various races and ethnic groups.

Last edited by L210; 06-25-2017 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,085,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
It's not my topic. I'm not the OP. And, looking for diversity is the opposite of looking to segregate yourself. Who said that they had to live in a place that is majority black? That is not what is meant by diverse. I don't know about anyone else, but I've had no problem with finding friends and acquaintances of various races and ethnic groups.
I agree with you 100%. I, myself, am a hybrid of black and Japanese and living in Austin hasn't been the most fulfilling. I chose to marry a person who has strong roots in Austin, and we chose to raise our children here, so I won't be leaving anytime soon. I am constantly seeking diversity and culture, but, alas, I'm often left underwhelmed and disappointed. I don't want to make any assumptions about the poster from Nyc, but the people who seem to be able to empathize with my plight are black people and other minorities. Austin is a nice city to raise a family, but it doesn't offer much in terms of cultural diversity. This is my perspective as a multi-ethnic minority living in Austin.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 9,330 times
This is one of the reasons I'm so torn about whether I should move to The Catherine in 78704 or Platform on the East Side. I want to feel like there's real diversity in my community and I fear that I'll miss that in South Austin. The struggle is real! Mrs.JT, which area have you found to be the most racially/socio-economically diverse? Or maybe I should say the least disappointing...

Old 07-24-2017, 06:26 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,945,212 times
Quote:

You asked "why are we as a society still asking about black areas vs white areas?"

First of all, no one is obligated to explain their desire to live among a certain population. But since you seem bent on making this a racial issue, here are a few reasons you might try to understand.

Some people (and their children) want to be able to see some others who look like they do in daily life. Have teachers, classmates, and neighbors they can relate to. No one wants to be the exotic one.

Some people want to be close to goods and services that cater to their ethnic needs. Purveyors of foods to cook ethnic fare, restaurants that sell ethnic food, salons that specialize in the hair and skin care needs specific to their race. Churches and community activities. Big box stores that cater food and personal care sections to demographic needs.

And in case you hadn't noticed, there are still some racists out there who don't exactly send out the welcome wagon when someone of an ethnicity they hate moves in.

What it comes down to is people want to live comfortably and feel safe where they are. No one owes it to anyone to assimilate because you think they should.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,440,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan st clair View Post
"I cannot IMAGINE how you must feel if your son goes to a park and people leave. That is appalling and literally makes me want to cry"

Oh please!! Live your life and enough with the "I'm Black will I be O.K." I don't care if you are purple as long as you are not in Texas illegally.

No one acts like this Anywhere unless you wear a bad attitude on your shirt sleeve.

Move to Austin .It's great and leave the preconceptions(mythical problems) behind .Good Luck!
Actually that is not true. There are some very poor, rural areas in Texas where people do act like this. Not Austin, of course, but to say that no one acts this way anywhere is incorrect.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM

1,098 posts, read 890,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post

And in case you hadn't noticed, there are still some racists out there who don't exactly send out the welcome wagon when someone of an ethnicity they hate moves in.
I sure haven't noticed. I'm sure it's true, but I definitely haven't noticed.

Racism has been blown WAYYY out of proportion by the media. Yes, it still exists, but it's not an epidemic like the media so desperately wants you to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NVVwZVd6ZM

Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,945,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I sure haven't noticed. I'm sure it's true, but I definitely haven't noticed.

Racism has been blown WAYYY out of proportion by the media. Yes, it still exists, but it's not an epidemic like the media so desperately wants you to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NVVwZVd6ZM
Love it when a member of the non-oppressed ethnicity claims racism is "blown out of proportion." You are a classic example of why people don't want to live around people like you. But you're completely blind to why. I bet "some of your best friends are black."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin