Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 03:34 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,714 times

Advertisements

Interesting, huh? The terminator slashes, and Texas cleans up the mess...!

Other states woo California teachers amid wave of pink slips - Yahoo! News (broken link)

SAN DIEGO - Precious Jackson has two years of teaching under her belt and two school teacher-of-the-year awards to show for it. She also has a pink slip.
Now Jackson is a prime target for growing school districts across the country hoping to cherry-pick from thousands of California teachers who have been warned they could be laid off because of state budget woes.Your future is in our classroom," the Fort Worth, Texas, school district says on a San Diego billboard. It plans to send recruiters to the city next month to dangle $3,000 signing bonuses. We don't have an ocean but we have a very good climate, and for a teacher's salary we're considerably more affordable than what San Diego or California is," said Clint Bond, a spokesman for the Fort Worth Independent School District. In San Diego you're throwing yourself at principals and begging them to hire you, and you maybe get an offer two days before the school year starts," said Konen, a California native. "I don't want to live that way, and I think we deserve better."

Moderator cut: copyright material

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-17-2008 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 AM

6 posts, read 29,014 times
Default fort worth did some slashing of their own

Fort Worth just fired or nonrenewed a whole ton of teachers themselves pretty much without cause. It is pretty funny that they want to come get San Diego teachers. They fired a bunch of their own teachers and then posted billboards in San Diego to recruit California teachers.

It is all politics. They want new teachers who they can bully and pay less to. It keeps teachers off balance so they can be more easily controlled.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,645 times
A few points.

1) The "terminator" slashed education because he had no choice. He went to the Ca. congress and pleaded with them to slash other things like some social programs, but they refused. The only thing he had power to slash was education which he told congress he didn't want to do, but they refused to help. So he did what he could within his power to help the deficit. I don't think he is doing a bad job- I in fact like him.

I blame Grey Davis for putting us in such a hole. I also blame all these stupid social programs which are ineffective bleed Ca. dry. I think Texas has it right from what I can tell. It seems that most social programs are controlled by the county/city and there does not seem to be many state sponsored things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin