Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 12:16 PM

35 posts, read 44,210 times

Advertisements

When i lived in Destin FL and it got to 50 degrees it felt bonechilling (like how 35 would feel in Virginia where I used to live). I guess because you acclimate to high daytime temps.... My question is since Austin TX gets hotter on avg in summer degree-wise, does it also feel bonechilling cold at 50 degrees or during winter?

I have major SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and even Destin FL is too cold for me at night. Its not just daylight, its the actual ‘feel’ of cold that makes me very depressed. In the summer I’m happy all season! I tried Hawaii but it was actually hotter than FL with the sun being more intense despite lower temps and also NO ONE HAS A/C (bc of energy costs). So FL is too cold and HI is too hot... I cant win. I wanna stay south because its the only place to find “southern charm” (although Lake Tahoe has that surprisingly, but wayyyy too cold in winter). Miami and Naples and Key West stay warm but there is no southern charm there, I dunno if St Pete stays warm and has southern charm? I love the beach but I love music too so Austin is drawing me, I wonder if the parks make up for lack of beaches? Its a loaded question but feel free to respond or suggest somewhere else too, I will be carless for a good year probably after moving so keep that in mind in regards to walking home safely at night and having sidewalks. I dont mind 2mile walk to work and back home though. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 12:25 PM

I also considered Wilmington NC for music and since temps dont vary so much that you end up in a cold shock during dips? I think I remember NC and SC not feeling as cold as FL in winter???

Old 10-24-2019, 12:42 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Austin can get into the 40's - 50's on average in the winter and occasionally drop into or below the 30's. Also it can get pretty windy here so it can feel pretty darn cold during actual winter seasons.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:03 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
and we get gloomy gray days in winter too.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:06 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,756 times
I’m originally from LA...Lower Alabama and the cold weather is a bit different than from that area. The humidity is not as high here, so the cold does not feel as bonechilling as it does in the north Florida area, BUT the wind seems to blow constantly in the winter time here making it feel much colder than it actually is. I’ve also seen if freeze and “snow” a lot more here than I ever did in the lower southeast. All that said, it’s still can get pretty cold here, but to me doesn’t feel as wet cold. Hope that helps.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:29 PM

1,185 posts, read 750,897 times
Having spent time in both, Austin is colder for longer.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
I was not a fan of Austin winters. Dreary, gray and misty/rainy at times, pretty cold but not quite cold enough to snow. And allergies during the damp/gray season.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:24 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
It's cold today!

Old 10-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It's cold today!

Lol i realized my question had perfect timing and i didnt mean too! Hehe

Is it gray for most of winter or is it just here and there with sunny in between?

I wonder if Colorado doesnt feel as cold in winter compared to Austin since humidty is lowest there in country.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:34 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiultra View Post
Is it gray for most of winter or is it just here and there with sunny in between?
The winter "gray" with Austin (and other parts of Texas) is really just a mixed-bag, it varies heavily across a couple years, based on El Nino/La Nina patterns - the former results in drearier, drizzly days, whereas the latter creates wall-to-wall sunshine.

Basically, the winter gray won't be a norm with Texas like it is in Seattle or England, but at the same time, it won't be reliable straight sunshine year-after-year like it would be in, say, South Florida. You have to be keen with ocean cycle indexes to really know what to expect in Texas.

Quote:
I wonder if Colorado doesnt feel as cold in winter compared to Austin since humidty is lowest there in country.
There is no such thing as "humid cold." It's a total myth born out of failure in making congruent comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin