U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 05:42 AM

9,226 posts, read 9,181,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Publix is where I shopped when I was on-site in Georgia and it seemed like a reasonably good place to shop, although I always felt like I was in a foreign land. Not their fault, though .
I feel like we are in a foreign land if we stay in Dallas or Houston.
Out of state seems off planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 08:18 AM

7,349 posts, read 16,776,443 times
HEB is great. It’s a huge part of my experience living here in Austin... coming from RI and then later the DFW area, we had nothing like it. It’s tough to explain how it was different than all the other grocery stores I had become used to, but it somehow was. Kind of a deep discount and very local feel but at the same time a big feel like other chain grocers. It’s more upscale now, but still has a simultaneously hyper local and major chain feel at the same time.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 AM

13,568 posts, read 30,159,484 times
One very big difference, or the basis for a lot of their differences, is that it is privately owned and not publicly traded. They are the 11th largest privately held company (by revenue) in the country. Publix is the 8th largest private company. Albertsons is the 3rd largest and is as big as those two put together, more or less.

Anyway, HEB has done an excellent job of looking to the future and not over-extending themselves. It is my understanding that they run debt free, which gives them a huge pricing advantage. They also allow a lot of decision making on how to stock a store to push down to the local level, which give the stores a very local feel.

And maybe there is a dark side to my favorite aspect, but I have not ever run into a grumpy or rude employee at HEB to the best of my recollection. Perhaps you get fired if you are grumpy, I don't know, but their employees always seem to be a whole level above their competitors.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-06-2020 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-20-2020, 06:52 AM

4,092 posts, read 9,875,821 times
Don’t know about you guys but I’m enjoying this more “normal” weather. Nice for something to be be normal right now. . Didn’t we have that mid summer cool front last year around this time? I remember because it went from pleasant to brutal in about one week. August is usually the worst so I’m enjoying it while I can!

Old 07-27-2020, 02:29 AM

4,870 posts, read 2,002,977 times
Soooo... ...if someone handed you 40 Grand with one stipulation, that it could not be used to pay bills or buy new personal assets but only could be used to build more capital, either through investing or building a business, how would you spend it? Let's say current economic times accounted for aswell.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:41 AM

7,039 posts, read 1,872,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Soooo... ...if someone handed you 40 Grand with one stipulation, that it could not be used to pay bills or buy new personal assets but only could be used to build more capital, either through investing or building a business, how would you spend it? Let's say current economic times accounted for aswell.
Oh that's easy. 100 shares of AAPL

Old 07-27-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Oh that's easy. 100 shares of AAPL
Just curious what do you feel about Google? Their stocks seem to follow a similar trend. Also in terms of investing in stocks in general, what do you feel about Robo-Advisors?

That and also what do you feel about flipping properties, not in the traditional sense of rehabbing but rather acquiring them below market value and reselling them as is to other investors below market value with a 5 - 10% profit margin?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:19 PM

7,039 posts, read 1,872,454 times
Quote:
Just curious what do you feel about Google? Their stocks seem to follow a similar trend. Also in terms of investing in stocks in general, what do you feel about Robo-Advisors?

That and also what do you feel about flipping properties, not in the traditional sense of rehabbing but rather acquiring them below market value and reselling them as is to other investors below market value with a 5 - 10% profit margin?
Google's main source of revenue is advertising.
Apple has physical products, a loyal following and an ecosystem that can't be beat.

Google is pretty spread out in it's product offerings and so has lots and lots of various competitors.
That may eventually put a strain on their R&D

Apple has their competitors but none have anywhere near the ecosystem of Apple.

As for the rest..I have no comment as I don't have the knowledge.

I will say that Apple has been very good to me twice now.

I bought it after the 2008 crash for $96/share and sold it for $500/share.
I bought again with the last split for $85/share.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:19 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,245,198 times
Quote:
right this moment XOM is paying an 8% dividend.

If you dont have time to do research, then just put 1/10th of it into an S&P 500 index fund every quarter for a few years.

If you have enough other investments and you want to make a big bet, then buy bitcoin/ethereum on the next big crash.

Real estate might not crash, but it will likely take a hit. I would look at properties on the east side. But being a landlord isnt easy.

If you havent maxed out your roth IRA, then max it out.

Personally Im holding a lot of cash, waiting for the market to crash due to the covid recession/depression that is coming. Right now is not a great time to buy equities except for companies that are really struggling due to covid

Old 07-27-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
right this moment XOM is paying an 8% dividend.

If you dont have time to do research, then just put 1/10th of it into an S&P 500 index fund every quarter for a few years.

If you have enough other investments and you want to make a big bet, then buy bitcoin/ethereum on the next big crash.

Real estate might not crash, but it will likely take a hit. I would look at properties on the east side. But being a landlord isnt easy.

If you havent maxed out your roth IRA, then max it out.

Personally Im holding a lot of cash, waiting for the market to crash due to the covid recession/depression that is coming. Right now is not a great time to buy equities except for companies that are really struggling due to covid
What do you feel about east side near MLK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or