Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2021, 09:16 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It’s been lucrative that’s for certain. I’ve actually made more these past few weeks between ACL and F1 doing rideshare than I have at my day job in IT. I was bringing home like $700 a day between Friday and Sunday. Austin is definitely a great rideshare / gig market.

I am running into a problem though. The Prius is eating mileage. It’s about to cross the 100k marker and probably will before November. After that happens I lose warranty. I’m thinking heavily on trading out for a Hyundai EV and using the $7,500 tax break to cut into the taxes I will owe because… I’m probably going to owe a lot. Main issue with an EV though is it may cut into my rideshare capabilities. There’s times where I have to refuel the Prius within the same day and sometimes even on a moments notice. With an EV that will significantly reduce my driving time and also make me have to plan to be home to recharge (or wait at a charging station somewhere in Austin).
why does the warranty matter? buying a new car is a lot bigger cost than non-warranty repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 05:28 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Because I’m putting a lot more miles on this car than an average car (about 5k per month) and any downtime it experiences is time I can’t use it to make money. Another issue is, most shops won’t touch any drivetrain related issues because it’s a hybrid, only Toyota will and that will be a pretty penny. Mainly I’m worried I will approach a point where it begins to nickle and dime me and accumulate downtime and expenses. It hasn’t given me too much trouble yet though. But between March and October I’ve put enough miles on it to depreciate it’s value by $6,000 which will make it difficult to trade later if I ever needed to.

Old 10-27-2021, 08:32 AM

I witnessed an accident happen at Parmer and Metric. I was in a parking lot eating breakfast. Basically a car in the center lane on Parmer heading EB had to swerve to avoid another car who pulled out infront of him. He slammed into a SUV in the left lane pushing the SUV into the oncoming lanes (this happened in the middle of the intersection where there is no median) and the SUV went headon into a Pickup on the opposing side of traffic who was making a left turn from Parmer WB to Metric SB.

The first responders arrived very quick…Less than 5 minutes… …but to my surprise, they were firemen. No police showed up onsite at all. Are Firemen able to make police reports for accidents?

Old 10-27-2021, 08:59 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I was IN an accident yesterday heading west bound on 71. Car is totaled so I’m in a fabulous mood right now.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:58 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I witnessed an accident happen at Parmer and Metric. I was in a parking lot eating breakfast. Basically a car in the center lane on Parmer heading EB had to swerve to avoid another car who pulled out infront of him. He slammed into a SUV in the left lane pushing the SUV into the oncoming lanes (this happened in the middle of the intersection where there is no median) and the SUV went headon into a Pickup on the opposing side of traffic who was making a left turn from Parmer WB to Metric SB.

The first responders arrived very quick…Less than 5 minutes… …but to my surprise, they were firemen. No police showed up onsite at all. Are Firemen able to make police reports for accidents?
Most of the time, no police report is made unless there is a severe injury - now days, it is pretty much left to the parties and the insurance companies to figure it all out. There is a fire station right near at that intersection (although I think the little police station is not very far, either), so firemen would get there pretty quick.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I was IN an accident yesterday heading west bound on 71. Car is totaled so I’m in a fabulous mood right now.
Hopefully, you are all right....and that it was not your fault and/or the other party has insurance.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yea … I consider myself to be a pretty good driver overall but accidents can happen to anyone at any time without warning regardless of how good or bad a driver someone is. I always consider it a blessing if I arrive home without incurring a car wreck.

What exactly happened? Are you making car payments? If so, did you get GAP?

The accident I witnessed for some weeks (month?) ago, the at-fault party insurer called me first to get my side of the story. The at-fault party lied and told their insurer that their light was yellow. I corrected their insurer. However the at-fault insurer was some off the wall insurance agency and were slow at handling the process so I encouraged the victim to go through their own insurer to get things rolling quicker.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:26 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Wow! Sure hope you are ok.
Been there, done that more than once over 60 years, so I can certainly sympathize.
Good thoughts that you can get it sorted out smooth.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:42 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
So sorry to hear. Hopefully if you are posting here you are somewhat OK which is amazing if your vehicle is totaled!

Old 10-27-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
So sorry to hear. Hopefully if you are posting here you are somewhat OK which is amazing if your vehicle is totaled!
It has been almost 20 years now, but I was in a 'car totaled' accident when I t-boned a guy who ran a red light. I was in a Honda Civic coupe and it was totaled - but it is somewhat amazing to see how safety systems work. The hood and roof were both perfectly 'accordioned' and the engine dropped to the street (instead of coming into the driver's compartment). The air bags deployed but did not touch me (I sit pretty far back). Besides some whiplash and a bruise from the seat belt, the only injury I had was a cut on my hand where it had contacted the dashboard.

I was on somewhat of an adrenaline high for a bit afterward and was ecstatic that I was not injured. I remember being most annoyed at the fact that I had just filled the gas tank .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin