Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 06:46 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You are right about the crime. I remember how bad it was in the late 80s/early 90s. Even in NW Hills and nearby, you had the NW Hills rapist, the kidnapping and murder of Madeleine Murray O'Hair, yogurt shop murders, tons of property crime (my car stereo was stolen multiple times)... so I guess we got what we paid for back then. Who would have known how much things would change?
I never would have imagined things would have been so bad in NW Hills area. I’m guessing the rising cost of housing changed that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I never would have imagined things would have been so bad in NW Hills area. I’m guessing the rising cost of housing changed that?
It was still considered safe in relation to a lot of other places in the city. Crime overall was much worse. It improved nationally, but the fact the tech jobs came and Austin’s economy thrived (leading to the housing costs) helped too.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:05 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Moved here in 2015. My first place I split with someone and it was about $1200 a month. This was at Mopac and Shoreline.

Second place was at Cameron and Renili right behind the capital plaza Target. It started at $797 a month February 2016. By the time i left in June 2016 I was paying $831 (after negotiations). Today the same units are about $998.

Third place was Onion Creek and 35. My first year there was like $988 for an apartment with a yard. It jumped to $1050 upon renewal and this past renewal was going to be something like $1250. With the distance from the things I liked and work I said I was sorry but wasn't going to renew my lease. The unit is still available and is listed at something like $1300 right now.

My new place is brand new and has a yard. I initially signed a lease for something like $1380 with a month free and prorated which brought it down closer to what I was renewing for at the old place. There was a mix up and the unit I wanted actually went for $1435 plus six weeks free. So, I'm paying more, but I'm way more central now at Montopolis and 183.

I can't even fathom the idea of buying a HOUSE in Austin right now. Several friends who swore they would be life long central Austinites have recently moved to Dripping Springs and Pflugerville. I don't know which outskirts I would end up in. I'd like to be in the 78748 or 45 area if I could find something. If money wasn't an issue I'd be in 78723. I adore that area, just as long as it's not near Manor or Rogge.

Adding on about 183 and Research. It's lower class and working class families, at least in the apartment areas. I contemplated that area when I was looking for the unit that was $797 but quickly decided against it. NW Hills also has pockets of lower income apartment complexes. If I remember correctly, there was a thing that happened between a high schooler an d a middle schooler at one of the lower income complexes about two years ago.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Moved here in 2015. My first place I split with someone and it was about $1200 a month. This was at Mopac and Shoreline.

Second place was at Cameron and Renili right behind the capital plaza Target. It started at $797 a month February 2016. By the time i left in June 2016 I was paying $831 (after negotiations). Today the same units are about $998.

Third place was Onion Creek and 35. My first year there was like $988 for an apartment with a yard. It jumped to $1050 upon renewal and this past renewal was going to be something like $1250. With the distance from the things I liked and work I said I was sorry but wasn't going to renew my lease. The unit is still available and is listed at something like $1300 right now.

My new place is brand new and has a yard. I initially signed a lease for something like $1380 with a month free and prorated which brought it down closer to what I was renewing for at the old place. There was a mix up and the unit I wanted actually went for $1435 plus six weeks free. So, I'm paying more, but I'm way more central now at Montopolis and 183.

I can't even fathom the idea of buying a HOUSE in Austin right now. Several friends who swore they would be life long central Austinites have recently moved to Dripping Springs and Pflugerville. I don't know which outskirts I would end up in. I'd like to be in the 78748 or 45 area if I could find something. If money wasn't an issue I'd be in 78723. I adore that area, just as long as it's not near Manor or Rogge.

Adding on about 183 and Research. It's lower class and working class families, at least in the apartment areas. I contemplated that area when I was looking for the unit that was $797 but quickly decided against it. NW Hills also has pockets of lower income apartment complexes. If I remember correctly, there was a thing that happened between a high schooler an d a middle schooler at one of the lower income complexes about two years ago.
For 78723, are you speaking more of Mueller? Or the more established neighborhoods like Windsor Park and Pecan Springs?

Admittedly that is further from Downtown Austin than I envisioned you wanting to be.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
For 78723, are you speaking more of Mueller? Or the more established neighborhoods like Windsor Park and Pecan Springs?

Admittedly that is further from Downtown Austin than I envisioned you wanting to be.
Mueller is the dream. I’ve already found someone in my life who has an affordable housing home there and every time we talk I say, “please call me when you decide to sell.” Lol. That’s the only way I’d be able to get in there. Windsor park is where I’d like to land. Pecan springs is a bit too Far East for my liking. All are central enough for me, and close to the things I’ve established in my life as important in Austin.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Mueller is the dream. I’ve already found someone in my life who has an affordable housing home there and every time we talk I say, “please call me when you decide to sell.” Lol. That’s the only way I’d be able to get in there. Windsor park is where I’d like to land. Pecan springs is a bit too Far East for my liking. All are central enough for me, and close to the things I’ve established in my life as important in Austin.
Yeah Mueller looks pretty nice. I’ve passed through it a few times just running off time. It was slightly more expensive than I was expecting. I was thinking upper 4’s thru mid 5’ but it’s seeming mid 5’s to 6’s is about the average there. I did see a 2br 2ba 1300 sqft going for like $425k ... It’s kind of weird how they are making all of these millennial homes while at the same time pricing the millennials out... is saving a significant downpayment over a long period of time possible for you?

Old 09-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah Mueller looks pretty nice. I’ve passed through it a few times just running off time. It was slightly more expensive than I was expecting. I was thinking upper 4’s thru mid 5’ but it’s seeming mid 5’s to 6’s is about the average there. I did see a 2br 2ba 1300 sqft going for like $425k ... It’s kind of weird how they are making all of these millennial homes while at the same time pricing the millennials out... is saving a significant downpayment over a long period of time possible for you?
As a social worker? Let me catch my breathe after laughing so hard.

They have an affordable housing program that my income level fits into. They go quick, like in less then two days, which is why I mentioned I know someone.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
two income tech families can afford to live there. If both spouses are making 100K+ then it is doable.

the answer is to create more muellers - like the colony park PUD.

The city just needs to get out of the way, the supply providers and demand are both there, the city artificially restricts supply with their slow process.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:49 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
As a social worker? Let me catch my breathe after laughing so hard.

They have an affordable housing program that my income level fits into. They go quick, like in less then two days, which is why I mentioned I know someone.
you should have an agent that constantly monitors so you dont have to. Have your lending and all other approvals ready to go.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
two income tech families can afford to live there. If both spouses are making 100K+ then it is doable.

the answer is to create more muellers - like the colony park PUD.

The city just needs to get out of the way, the supply providers and demand are both there, the city artificially restricts supply with their slow process.
Do you feel it is intentional?

As for the two spouses making $100k thing, I get that.. I just say, the average true millennial makes nowhere close to $100k on their own let alone $200k household. I can't help but feel that the term Millennial, while is based on a generation, is being highly curtailed today to mainly include only the upper middle / upper class portion of the generation while the vast majority seems like it is alienated from the remaining factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin