Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 12:40 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

....dont dial 511. It lead me to someone that made me believe they literally offshored the DoT hotline to China. She could not understand a single street name I said. I eventually gave up and notified the police dispatch about the signal and they told me they'd get someone to fix it (and they did.)

It seems signals out here can be finicky. The one on Parmer near the apple campus is notorious for failing. I've seen several others go out for no apparent reason as well. (No storms, nothing changed, just quit working)

I know some are intentionally set to go into a passive state at night but this is happening in peak traffic hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 12:47 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
511 or 311? Most of these streets are city streets, so we have usually called 311 to report them.

Quote:
Some examples of inquiries that our ambassadors can assist with:
Alley & Street Maintenance
Animal Bites
Basic Needs / Food Pantry
Bicycle Lane Issues
Dead Animal Pickup
Downtown Parking Meters
Electric Vehicle Plug In Stations / Info
Graffiti Clean Up
Guardrail Repair
Illegal dumping
Loose Dogs
Noise Complaints
Overgrown lots
Park Maintenance
Police Non-Emergency
Pot Hole Repair
Proper Care of Dogs/Animals
Road Markings / Striping
School Zone Signs, Lights & Markings
Signs in the Right of Way
Special Events
Speed Bumps / Traffic Calming Devices
Storm Drain Issues
Street Closures
Street Lighting
Traffic & Street Sign Maintenance /Repair
Traffic Signals

Water Main Break
Water Theft
Water Waste
Watering Restrictions
Wild Animals

Old 11-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
511 or 311? Most of these streets are city streets, so we have usually called 311 to report them.
I havent tried 311. In Atlanta it was 511 so I assumed the same here and couldn't really look it up while I was driving so I dialed it in good hope. Maybe that's the reason I got routed to China. Hah. But she did seem to be the person to report it to.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
311 is for all non-emergency issues that you don't really think need the assistance of 911.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Good to know this. I've been wondering who to call for non emergencies.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:00 PM

77 posts, read 192,939 times
Same department responsible for Palmer being changed to Parmer in the first place?

Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackGriffin View Post
Same department responsible for Palmer being changed to Parmer in the first place?
Are you saying there should be a small case letter "L" where the "r" is in the street name Parmer Lane? Are you serious? I wonder how that happened. It looks like a QA inspector would have caught the error at final inspection before signing off on it and sending it to the customer. The customer, I suppose would be the Austin City Street Department. It looks somebody at the street department would have caught the mis-spelling. Sounds like there's plenty of blame to go around as it slipped passed all quality and accuracy inspection points. It should be obvious to anybody who knows how to spell that Parmer and Palmer are not pronounced the same way. It's a way more obvious mis-spelling than the Manchaca-Menchaca controversy.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:48 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackGriffin View Post
There is no documented evidence on why Parmer is named Parmer, although there is a lot of speculation. From a few years ago in the AAS:
Quote:
[...]attributed the name to a colorful former Texan (1778–1850) who signed the Texas Declaration of Independence named Martin Palmer (and whose family later changed its last name to Parmer, according to the Texas State Historical Association), many readers have said the street was named after former Austin mayor Lester Palmer.

Austin History Center reference archivist Rusty Heckaman said the first mention of Parmer Lane in Austin was in our newspaper in 1958. It was an address in a classified ad. There’s no other mention of Parmer Lane in the center’s records until 1979, when the Austin City Council was discussing traffic congestion at an intersection on that road. At least two portions of today’s Parmer Lane were annexed from Travis County during the 1960s and 1970s. Heckaman says in his opinion, the connection to Lester Palmer is unlikely. He draws this conclusion because the lane’s name was already established in the 1950s, and Lester Palmer wasn’t mayor until the 1960s.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Given that the area that Parmer Lane goes through wasn't part of Austin for quite some time (it was the boonies for quite a few years after I moved here in 1969), seems it would make more sense to look at the various towns that it went through for an explanation of the name. It's been Parmer ever since I moved here, in any case. That people have issues with it is on them, not on the street.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:46 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I've never even heard of calling 511?! I call 311 for all signal light problems, they can re-route you if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin